Nurseries and Baby Gear

Bedding Sets verus Mix-and-Match???

OK . . . I'm a little overwhelmed when it comes to this registering thing!

I'm currenly trying to decide on nursery decorations . . . we are doing a gender nutral theme . . . I think I want a jungle animal theme.

I really like this wall mural.  It's super cute!  And big!  It would take up a whole wall!  And you can customize the colors.  https://www.etsy.com/listing/62492611/the-original-children-wall-decal-wall

I'm looking at bedding/curtians/etc to go with it . . . and that is where I am getting overwhelmed.  I'm trying to decide if I want to do a "complete" bedding set versus getting peices mix-and-match.

My Concerns with a "Complete" Bedding Set

• There are various bedding sets at Babies R Us that are cute, but I'm afraid if I get the set it will either clash or be just too much animal print everwhere.
  • All come with a comforter - which are super curt, but I don't want to put the baby in the crib with the comforter because of the risk of SIDS.  So I might just hang it on the wall or lay it over my rocker.
  • Most come with bumpers - but I don't want to use the bumpers because of the risk they pose for SIDS.
  • Some come with a diaper stack - not sure if I really need / want that.  I think a stocked basked with diapers would be cuter.
  • Some come with additional wall hangings - that might be alot of things on the wall if I did the decal too.
  • Some sets have additional accessories - like decals - but the decals are really small - and I really like the full mural decal I picked out.

My Concerns with "Mix-and-Match":

• Only certain peices are sold separatly.  I see the sheets and sometimes the valance are sold separatly.  But I haven't seen just the comforter or the dust ruffle sold separatly.
  • I'd hate to spend $130-$180 on a complete set, when I'm only going to use some of the items.

For example:

1. I like the Kids Line Jungle Walk -  https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12475991 - The valance and bedskirt are patterned versus having animals on them.  I also like the comforter.  But there are alot of peices that I don't think I'll use.
  2. This set might be a little too much animal on the bedskirt and valanace and might clash with the decal - https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12409775

Other options:

1. Just get mix-and-match animal sheets from one of the sets.  For example the Jungle Walk set - I see they have the sheets, valance, fleese blanket sold separatly.
  2. Get either a solid color or non-animal pattered sheets and valance.  Such as stripes, dots, or checks.  Then I could coordinate the olors with the wall decal.  Such as https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12374936 .

UG!  I am so overwhelmed . . . and this is just one of many things I have to pick out!

My Journey to Motherhood
Me 36, DH 42
7.5 years of TTC ... It never gets any easier.

Baby Girl # 1
TTC Since January 2009
Reproductive Endocrinologist diagnosed us "Unexplained Infertility".
After 3 years . . . 3 IUIs . . . and 3 IVFs . . . our miracle GIRL arrived on August 6, 2012.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Girl # 2
TTC Since June 2013
Got pregnant on our own without Fertility Treatments - January 2016!  Thank you snow storm Jonas!
EDD 10/15/16
At 20-week anatomy scan found IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction), and very low Amniotic Fluid.  Now, I'm High Risk and have weekly ultrasounds to monitor fluid and growth.  If baby runs out of room or is too growth restricted, they will deliver ASAP.  My current goal is to make it to 28 weeks!   

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Bedding Sets verus Mix-and-Match???

• My crib bedding was a couple of sheets from IKEA. I didn't want to use bumpers or a blanket because of SIDS. So the crib is plain. I'm fine with that. I'd do plain sheets and do the theme decorating with other items.
  • imagetokenhoser:
    My crib bedding was a couple of sheets from IKEA. I didn't want to use bumpers or a blanket because of SIDS. So the crib is plain. I'm fine with that. I'd do plain sheets and do the theme decorating with other items.

This, exactly. I have always been able to find coordinated fitted sheets and crib skirts. I leave the bed decorating simple until the toddler stage when they're out of the crib. And I've never liked the coordinating valances. I've either made window treatments or purchase them. S' window treatment is a white rod and fancy finial set with lavendar and lilac sheers and swag; rod set was on sale at a fabric store for $20 from $70 and the sheers come from Ikea. I don't stick to shopping at baby focused stores - since they call it a specialty baby item, they automatically charge more.

ETA: I really like your decal. Out of all of those, other option #2 with the bumper free set is great, and I like the bamboo shade in one of the BRU pics. You could absolutely make your own valance to coordinate, maybe in a mushroom colored canvas.

• Loading the player...
  • We got DD some cute sheets and 2 plain pink sheets (5 sheets total I think, but we only used 4).  Eventually, we got the pink breathable bumper.  She never had and I never wanted a crib skirt.  In our old house she did have pretty curtain rods and simple curtains, here she has wooden blinds.

Do you really need all the pieces?  Do you really need the comforter?  valance?  matching dust ruffle?  If so, I would get the ones you like.  I am the queen of over-analysis and over-researching but bedding seems like it should be simpler, doesn't it?  I think the jungle pieces would be cute with some simpler solid pieces.

Picture3-3.jpg

Our Twin Baby + a Big Girl Blog

And with the delivery trifecra of one twin vaginal, one c-section with general anesthesia for twin B, Spencer and Sidney joined us at 35 weeks exactly on June 18.

• ccamccam member
    With a decal that large, I would make it the focus of the room. Like you said, some of those bedding sets might compete or clash with the decal. I would just buy separates - different colored sheets and a simple pattern bedskirt and valances. The decal is very cute!

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• imageccam:
    With a decal that large, I would make it the focus of the room. Like you said, some of those bedding sets might compete or clash with the decal. I would just buy separates - different colored sheets and a simple pattern bedskirt and valances. The decal is very cute!

Thanks for all of your replies.  I agree with you all!  Espchally my concern about clashing the sets will my wall decal.  They really sucker you in though . . . you go into the store and see all these cute bedding sets and you get all excited . . . but then when you look to see what it includes you won't use half the stuff!  I'm surprised they still include bumpers in the set when you are so strongly urged not to use them.

I really don't want to over-do the whole jungle theme!  I want it to look classy!

My Journey to Motherhood
    Me 36, DH 42
    7.5 years of TTC ... It never gets any easier.

Baby Girl # 1
    TTC Since January 2009
    Reproductive Endocrinologist diagnosed us "Unexplained Infertility".
    After 3 years . . . 3 IUIs . . . and 3 IVFs . . . our miracle GIRL arrived on August 6, 2012.

Baby Girl # 2
    TTC Since June 2013
    Got pregnant on our own without Fertility Treatments - January 2016!  Thank you snow storm Jonas!
    EDD 10/15/16
    At 20-week anatomy scan found IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction), and very low Amniotic Fluid.  Now, I'm High Risk and have weekly ultrasounds to monitor fluid and growth.  If baby runs out of room or is too growth restricted, they will deliver ASAP.  My current goal is to make it to 28 weeks!   

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"