High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

P17 shots + BIG baby...what to do?

I posted about this on the May 2012 board but also thought that some ladies here might be able to offer some guidance so I'm re-posting here, too.  And no, I do not have GD.

So here's the scoop.  I'm 32w6d today and the baby is measuring 35w6d, a full 3 weeks ahead.  Estimated weight is 6lbs 1oz which is more than a pound bigger than DS (born at 35wks) was at birth...crazy!  Doc cautioned that wt is just estimate and could be off by a pound IN EITHER DIRECTION!  So, they still plan to continue my P17 shots until I am 36 weeks.  I'm just wondering, though, that if the baby is ready (not saying it is ready right now) then shouldn't I just let my body do its thing and not keep preventing labor with the shots?  I know I need to talk to my doc and plan to at my apt next week....

Re: P17 shots + BIG baby...what to do?

• Options
    You might just grow them big since your first was a great size for that gestation  I would continue with the shots and hope for the baby to stay put till at least 37 weeks.  DS1 was 6lbs at almost 36 weeks and DS2 was 9.5lbs at 39 weeks.  I had no issues with delivery.  He measured over 3 weeks ahead.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I would continue the shots.  Size =/= lung maturity and in some cases of macrosomia, lungs are underdeveloped for gestational age.  33 weeks gestation is not ready for life outside the womb.  Even 35 and 36 weekers can experience breathing problems and other issues.

And yes, weight measurements via u/s are notoriously inaccurate,  Even my peri, who is one of the best in the city at this stuff and frequently on par cautions about that.  Baby may slow down too - at 30 weeks, my peri found baby ahead by 2-3 weeks across the board and with high fluid levels just short of official polyhydramnios.  Weighed in at + 4 lbs at 30 weeks and change.

By my next appointment, baby had only gained a pound and growth was much more level and in line with what one would expect at 33 weeks and change - we literally just got a snapshot of a growth spurt in progress.

My baby is healthy and we've exceeded the initial predictions for the length of the pregnancy, but my doctors are still maintaining my restriction levels, and in fact just decreased my hours at work officially to make sure I don't deliver before 37 weeks (though we all sort of expected by 34).  They want baby to stay in and be as developed and ready for life outside as possible.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies.  I appreciate your insight.  I guess having had such a tiny baby before, I kind of freaked out at the thought of a BIG one this time.  I know big or small, keeping this baby cooking as long as possible is the best thing for him/her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"