Natural Birth
Options

Birth Center - How Far to Drive?

I'm considering giving birth in an independent birth center, but it's 30 miles away. In traffic, I think it could easily be an hour drive. The alternative is giving birth in a hospital that's only a few minutes from home.

Would you consider driving 30 miles while in labor? Do you think the possible benefits of an independent birth center outweigh the convenience of giving birth just a couple miles from home?

Thank you for your input! 

Re: Birth Center - How Far to Drive?

• Options
    I would choose the drive for the BC. Yet, this is my first and my family does not have a history of quick labors. It really depends on how comfortable you feel at the BC too.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    mb314mb314 member
    I would pick the birth center, but leave for it earlier than they recommend just to be safe. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

30 miles isn't a long drive. You'll be uncomfortable, but as long as you leave with ample time, you should be fine. Labor isn't like TV. Rarely is it less than a few hours, and when it is, most women have actually been in labor for days or weeks without knowing.

That said, I wouldn't have made it to the hospital if I hadn't lived 7 miles away. But, as I've said here before, I waited too long to go.

• Options
    Our birth center is about 35 miles we live in the country so to any hospital it's a good 15-20 min. it will take us (if there were traffic even) 50 min tops. I drove 45 with #1 and was ok, I went in the triage took me in and 3 hrs later they admitted me. oh, with #1 I had a hospital birth not Birthing center. To me every benefit of the birthing center outweighs only driving 30-40 minutes to the hopsitals I would be "ok" with giving birth at. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I drove over an hour (1 hour 15 minutes) for my birth center and would do it again in a heartbeat. 

At that point my contractions where pretty darn strong. I hardly remember the drive, except I had a pillow on my lap and would push my feet against the floor with every contraction. It kind of sucked, but like I said, I would do it again in a heartbeat. The birth center was awesome.

Just remember to put something down on the seat - my water broke at home and was leaking.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I have had both my babies at a free standing birth center that is a 1.5hr drive, obviously worth it to me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the replies! It's good to know that I shouldn't let the drive affect my decision.
  • Options
    Yeah I totally think it's worth the drive. My DH and I are going to a BC that is about 2.5 hours away (in traffic it's longer of course). I don't trust doctors to do what is in my best interest, I think they will do whatever they can to make things easier on themselves (c-sections for time convenience) and to avoid a malpractice suit. I trust that my midwives will be there to assist me in what my body was made to do and not push a bunch of procedures on me. Giving birth is going to be a very memorable moment in my life and I want it to be a good one. So for peace of mind, the drive it completely worth it IMO.
  • Options

We are delivering at a hospital that is 30 minutes away with no traffic and can be up to a hour and a half drive with traffic.   We have two hospitals that are much closer but I love my OB.   So the drive is definitely worth it to me. 

• Options
    I'm driving 42 miles. It'll be an hour, possibly an hour and a half. It's worth it to me. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Our hospital is an hour and a half away with no traffic - we are planning on leaving for it as soon as labor starts. If you're most comfortable with the center, then I say go for it.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Last time, I had zero pain or labor sensation until my water broke and DS was born an hour after that.  The closest birth center is an hour away so I'm afraid there just wouldn't be enough time for me to make it.  I would absolutely love to go to the BC and if you think you can make it go for it!
  • Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies. I'm used to living just minutes from everything, so my husband and I initially balked at driving 30 miles during labor. Your input has certainly changed our perspective and given us more to think about!
  • Options

You may have already decided but I just want to pipe in on this.

I gave birth at a very close hospital that was natural birth supportive and it was wonderful. I also had a 17 hour labor with 7 of it being at home and 10 at the hospital. My body took a while to progress, just not a fast laborer.

One of the women in our birth class and now in my moms group chose a birth center about an hour away for her first child. Her labor only lasted four hours, her water broke, she threw up and went through transition all in the car in the middle of the night. She walked into the birth center and started pushing in the elevator and had the baby almost as soon as she was on the bed.

They left their home as soon as she was certain that contractions were steady and before she felt they were too intense to do the drive, however; her labor was fast moving. They checked out of the birth center almost exactly 6 hours after arriving.

Personally, I wouldn't want to go through that in the confines of a car but I also would rather take the risk than deliver at a hospital that I didn't feel would respect my wishes. It's a gamble driving that far but it's all about what you'll be most comfortable with.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"