February 2012 Moms
Options

Bumper pads?

Are you ladies still using your bumper pads in the crib, or did you remove them? DH took them out of our crib but I think they are fine since LO isn't rolling around?

Re: Bumper pads?

• Options
    I use mine. I swaddle Charlie whenever I put him in his crib and he wakes up in the exact same spot. He sleeps in his crib from 7pm-12am every night then comes into my bed, so he isn't in there long and I check on him often. Is it still Flame free friday?
  • Options
    I was actually just now thinking about this. I just put on a softer cradle pad. I had been using only the mattress with a thin cradle sheet, because I was so paranoid at first that I thought this one might be too fluffy. But looking at it now it looks pretty harmless. I was debating whether or not to put the matching bumper on since it's not like DS can move around or roll over. So he wouldn't be anywhere near it. Maybe one step at a time for me.
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I woke up this morning and DD had inch-wormed her way to the bottom left-hand corner of her crib, was laying sideways and was sucking on the slats to the crib.

Kinda glad there wasn't a bumper pad there for her to smush her face into...although I imagine that knocking her head into those slats wasn't comfortable either.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • Options
    DS still sleeps in a bassinet but when he does move to his crib I won't put the bumper pads in until I know that he can reliably roll around. They learn to do things so quickly and often unexpectedly and so I'd hate to put him in thinking he can't roll yet only for him to learn to roll that night right into a bumper pad.
  • Options
    I do not use mine now, but will put them in once LO is strong enough to roll around and move more (maybe 6 or 9 months?).  
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

imageWiscisbliss:
    I do not use mine now, but will put them in once LO is strong enough to roll around and move more (maybe 6 or 9 months?).  

This 

Mom to AJ: 2/16/2012

Elliott Woodson due 8/2/2015!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We don't have bumper pads, but she does sleep in a co-sleeper next to our bed, and she loves to scooch herself over to the side and put her face against the side of it.  Makes me a little nervous, but she has found a spot she likes and she's sticking to it!
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    DH removed them the 1st night cuz he couldn't see her and he was nervous. Not like she rolled though. She's in a cradle. Now that she DOES roll, her arms get caught between the slats and she bends her elbows - so she gets frustrated shes stuck (sorta). So I put them up on the outside so she cant stick them through anymore. We have a breathable bumper for her crib - it was too big for the cradle
                    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie - (K6Db)

imageimageimage

TTC #2 since 10/2013

BFP #1 (4.14.14) ~ CP (4.18.14)

BFP #2 (6.27.14) ~ EDD 3.7.15

• Options

I see many are thinking of putting the bumper pad in when their LO is mobile but I was told by my pediatrician that they are still unsafe then because you LO can use it to climb out of the crib. He told us that you should never have a bumper pad in your crib at all - no matter how young or old your LO is. This really sucked for us because all of this came out right after we can set up our nursery when I was pregnant. Oh well I guess we have some expensive curtains and sheets. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I use the breathable mesh bumper....  love it,  It wraps around and secures with long velcro strips so it can get as tight as I want it to,  LO flails her arms and legs around alot and when she starts moving around in her crub, I'm not risking her arms getting stuck ( she always sleeps with her arms above her head or out anyway).  I didn't get a bedding set b/c I don't like the thick fabric bumpers ( can't get them as snug as the mesh one, thicj oufyy fabric makes me nervous).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    No, no bumper for us. Honestly, I think they are ugly and unsafe. The incidence of death may be small, but it is there. If my LO somehow gets a limb tangled in the slats, yes, she'll be uncomfortable until either she figures it out or I help her, but it's not going to kill her.

In case you missed it in October, the AAP published a recommendation against all bumpers, even the mesh, "breathable" ones: https://www.cnn.com/2011/10/18/health/no-bumpers-cribs-sids-parenting/index.html

Sorry, this isn't meant to be judgmental or anything. I just hope everyone is educated about the risks. With all the worrying we do about our LOs, it surprises me that this risk is taken more lightly than others for reasons that seem to be largely aesthetic. That's my $0.02, anyway.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    We have a breathable mesh bumper, which we will keep in the crib. DD has been sleeping in her crib since she was 1 week old.

A+S | Met 8/24/06 | Married 9/27/08
    Started TTC 12/2008 | dx PCOS 5/2009
    6 failed clomid/femara/TI cycles, 1 failed clomid/ovidrel/IUI cycle
    Successful Cycle: 5/12/11 - 1000mg Metformin + 100mg Clomid(late response) + TI = BFP

2/13/12 - We proudly welcomed our daughter, Hadley Teresa!
    Lots of Luck to all of 3T/IF

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

• Options
    DS hasn't really been in his crib much (we're using the pack n play in our room right now), but we bought the breathable mesh bumpers so I'll be leaving them in.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"