Babies: 9 - 12 Months

HELP! my baby boy still won't sleep all night!

Hi all, 

I am "kinda" new to the forums. I just thought I'd get a lil advice on this issue.

I have tried everything to help my baby sleep during the night but nothing works. :(

He is ten months old and has NEVER slept all night long. Sometimes he wakes up

up to 5 times a night! its understandable while he's teething but other times when

he's okay is just unbearable! I don't get much sleep because he's always keeping

me up through the night. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep

him sleeping?? So far I've done the following:

Warm Bath

Sing

Talk

Read

Warm Milk

Massages

Play Music

The Johnson & Johnson Night time Bath/Lotion

Play

Repeat! LOL

nothing works!

HELLLLLLLLLP! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: HELP! my baby boy still won't sleep all night!

• We need more information before giving solid advice, but here's my general advice:  My DS slept thru the night from about 2 months until 5 months, but since then he he's been waking up several times a night for various reasons.  In the fall he got too cold so we bundled him warmer; in the winter his excema got bad so he woke up itchy and we started lotioning him several times every day; in the last few weeks he's gotten too warm so we leave him uncovered thru part of the night; when he has a night-time or early morning poo he wakes up throughout the night; when he gets woken up after a couple hours of sleep he's up for a couple hours; he likes soft mattresses and can't sleep on a hard mattress.  Those are it off the top of my head.  It sounds like it's not the bedtime routine that's the problem, but something that's happening during the night.  Don't worry - this won't last forever! 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS just started sleeping through the night consistently at 8 months old.  What seemed to work for was making sure he gets enought to eat during the day and sticking with a consistent wake time and bedtime. 

He takes (4) 8 oz bottles and 3 solid meals.  We have to wake him up at 6:30a when we leave for work and he takes 2 naps (usually 1-2 hours each).  We start his bedtime routine at 7p every night.  He's always cranky and ready for bed by that time anyway.  He gets a bath, Johnson's bedtime lotion, pajamas, bottle and then I rock him for about 5 minutes and put him to bed drowsy but awake.  After doing the same exact routine for about a month he no longer cries when I put him in the crib and he puts himself to sleep. 

I was in the same exact place you are in now but consistency has seemed to be the key.  I swear I have a completely different baby now.  Good luck!

Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you tried any kind of sleep training? DS was still doing this at 7 months when we decided we couldnt take it anymore and finally did CIO.  Do you put him down awake or do you rock him to sleep?  Sometimes if they r rocked to sleep they wake up and dont know where they are because they fell asleep in your arms, so it helps for them to fall asleep on their own.
    BKP__Levi's One Year_0032_CDBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • DD just started sleeping through the night.  Her reflux was worse then we thought.  Fixed her meds and she starting eating more formula (and throwing up less) and eating more solids, then she slept great.

If LO is getting plenty to eat you might have to sleep train. 

• imageMLF135:
    Have you tried any kind of sleep training? DS was still doing this at 7 months when we decided we couldnt take it anymore and finally did CIO.  Do you put him down awake or do you rock him to sleep?  Sometimes if they r rocked to sleep they wake up and dont know where they are because they fell asleep in your arms, so it helps for them to fall asleep on their own.
    All of this. After CIO DS sleeps all night unless he's teething. It's really tough but so worth it.

• My DS is 11 months old, and has never slept through the night either.  We've tried everything. We got to the point that we were giving him a bottle every time he woke up just so that he would go right back to sleep. However, that created a BAD habit and he would only go to sleep with a bottle.  We recently agreed to cut out bottles overnight, which has caused him to wake up less because he can put himself back to sleep to some degree.  He also has had quite a few ear infections, which we think are causing him to wake up often.  He is getting tubes next week, and we're praying that will solve the problem. Though, I've come to the realization that he may just always be a bad sleeper!

• Hi everyone....it took me forever to figure out how to just respond and not reply.(still don't know...lol)

I looked at each and every reply. Thanks so much for sharing your stories.

its always feels better to know that somebody else is going thru the same thing a

and its not just me. Not that I WANT any of us to have to go thru this...lol

My son doesnt seem to have any ear infections, reflux, or signs of any type of these things preventing him from sleeping (as far as I know).

I talked to his ped. and she said that not all babies sleep through the night.

when he wakes up in the night, I do give him a bottle. he doesnt drink all of it at once because he's still sleepy and I don't like them to sit too long so if he doesnt drink it, I have to get up and make another one. ( I started using 3-4 oz bottles)

Another thing, since he continued to wake up several times at night, breaking my sleep, I started to put him in my bed. This doesnt help either.

I also tried after I bathe, rock, sing, etc., etc.,  to just put him in his crib and make him cry it out and put himself to sleep but after about 4 days in a row of constant screaming, I felt it wasnt the best idea. He was waking my 12 year old up so I just stopped. I feel bad sometimes because I know he just wants to be near me but I reallly need a break. My husband works over night so I basically have to deal with this alone :(

One other thing, WHENEVER he goes to sleep, even during the day at his nap times, he NEVER sleeps long. I don't know what his problem is. Its like he feels as if he's gonna miss something...lol

Im sorry, I know this is a lot but omg... I just need one good nights rest..thats all I ask! :)

• Hi everyone....it took me forever to figure out how to just respond and not reply.(still don't know...lol)

I looked at each and every reply. Thanks so much for sharing your stories.

its always feels better to know that somebody else is going thru the same thing a

and its not just me. Not that I WANT any of us to have to go thru this...lol

My son doesnt seem to have any ear infections, reflux, or signs of any type of these things preventing him from sleeping (as far as I know).

I talked to his ped. and she said that not all babies sleep through the night.

when he wakes up in the night, I do give him a bottle. he doesnt drink all of it at once because he's still sleepy and I don't like them to sit too long so if he doesnt drink it, I have to get up and make another one. ( I started using 3-4 oz bottles)

Another thing, since he continued to wake up several times at night, breaking my sleep, I started to put him in my bed. This doesnt help either.

I also tried after I bathe, rock, sing, etc., etc.,  to just put him in his crib and make him cry it out and put himself to sleep but after about 4 days in a row of constant screaming, I felt it wasnt the best idea. He was waking my 12 year old up so I just stopped. I feel bad sometimes because I know he just wants to be near me but I reallly need a break. My husband works over night so I basically have to deal with this alone :(

One other thing, WHENEVER he goes to sleep, even during the day at his nap times, he NEVER sleeps long. I don't know what his problem is. Its like he feels as if he's gonna miss something...lol

Im sorry, I know this is a lot but omg... I just need one good nights rest..thats all I ask! :)

• imageScout2005:
    I would suggest reading Ferber or another sleep training book. There's more to the process of sleep training than just CIO off the bat, and I think it's helpful to get those insights before trying a method.

i hate to sound silly but whats CIO? sleep training? 

• imageScout2005:
    imagemsladykay2002:

imageScout2005:
    I would suggest reading Ferber or another sleep training book. There's more to the process of sleep training than just CIO off the bat, and I think it's helpful to get those insights before trying a method.

i hate to sound silly but whats CIO? sleep training? 

CIO =cry it out

It's a form of sleep training, but it's not the only approach.

We had great success w/ Ferber. As in all things, it doesn't work for every kid. I think the book is worth a read, though. 

ohhhhhh..lol...im not hip to the abbreviations. I see a lot of people using them but I dont know what they mean.

I get so guilty whenever I do this. I feel so bad for him looking so helpless.

the good thing is when he's in bed with me, he goes to bed on his own just as long as I'm RIGHT THERE! lol...I just need for it to be in his crib.

I will check out the Ferber books. I've never even heard of them. My other children are way older than him so I havent done this in a long time. 

• imageRMiranda09:

My DS is 11 months old, and has never slept through the night either.  We've tried everything. We got to the point that we were giving him a bottle every time he woke up just so that he would go right back to sleep. However, that created a BAD habit and he would only go to sleep with a bottle.  We recently agreed to cut out bottles overnight, which has caused him to wake up less because he can put himself back to sleep to some degree.  He also has had quite a few ear infections, which we think are causing him to wake up often.  He is getting tubes next week, and we're praying that will solve the problem. Though, I've come to the realization that he may just always be a bad sleeper!

I kinda come to the same realization. I just accept it at times but last night I was crying real tears. I just wanted to sleep!! What are "tubes"? 

• Just know that not all kids "sleep through the night".  Our oldest did not until she was over 2! 

We just did some sleep training with our youngest.  The biggest thing for her is that she likes to sleep on her tummy, have her back rubbed, and we put on a fan for white noise.  A light baby blanket snug against her waist helps her too.  Pick him up only to rock/comfort, but place back in crib and be consistent.

Perhaps try to let LO soothe themself to sleep if you know they have been changed/fed recently.  10-15 minutes of crying (whimpering mixed with screams) usually does it.  But if the cry escalates, they are probably working their way into a frenzy.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemsladykay2002:

It sounds like he is using the bottle to comfort him in the middle of the night, doesnt seem like hes really hungry if he is not drinking it all and he's sleepy while drinking.  Maybe you can try cutting out soome of the bottles and maybe he'll realize if he is not going to get fed its not worth waking up.  (unless you rock/cuddle him back to sleep, then he might be just as happy with that)  You should probably try to break the habbit of sleeping with you before it gets worse and he wont sleep without you.

BKP__Levi's One Year_0032_CDBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi all, 

Just wanted to give a lil update.

Thank you all for all of your advice also. :)

so I observed my baby all weekend while he slept. day and night.

I paid attention to his body movements and logged his feeding.

Turns out, he doesnt really need bottle in the night. when he wakes up, he just wants to be comfortable and then he goes right back to sleep.

His night bottle, I gave it to him maybe an half hour before bed for the past 2 days, as opposed to while he was dozing off. I played with him for a lil while and sung to him. let him settle down with the lights dim.

He slept a lil longer than usual.

Also, I noticed that he refuse to sleep without a pillow. LOL...I thought this was too funny. all of this time, I was always told to lay baby flat and on the back but he's not comfortable like that. I observed him scrambling all around the bed trying to get his head higher. it was kinda cute to watch. Once I gave him a lil boost with his little blanket, he was out!

Both nights, he woke up once!!

I held him, changed his diaper that first night, sung and or talked/soothed him and he was out again.

I think I might be on to something here....I'll keep ya posted!

Thanks again for all of your tips/help/advice. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"