Trouble TTC

Marathon while TTC?

I've been running for the last few months and I am considering signing up for a marathon in the fall.  I have never really been a runner so this would be a big change for me, but I'm slowly working my way up. I would sign up for a training team that starts in June if I do it.

DH is worried that it would put too much stress on my body and be bad for TTC.  I plan to ask my RE about it at my next appointment but I'd like to hear what you all think.  TIA!

IF, 5 losses, 1 son, 1 on the way.
fall in love with someone Pictures Images and Photos  photo turtlejpg

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Marathon while TTC?

• Truthfully, I'd be surprised if your RE gave you the go-ahead.  A marathon is a big deal that requires A LOT of training and stress on the body. 

I'd for sure ask as you already plan on doing :o)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would think a marathon would be too much while TTC, but I would check with your doctor for sure.
  • Loading the player...
  • Are you talking a full or half marathon?  I agree with KGD.  I can't imagine your RE would be ok with that.  Especially since it's a new thing for you.  A marathon is very are on your body.

After more than 2 years of fertility treatments, FET did the trick!
    IVF March 2012 - BFP! - Severe OHSS = 8 days in the hospital in kidney failure
    No heartbeat at 10w6d
    FET August 27,2012 = BFP!
    It's a boy!
    My Blog - 3 Dogs, No Baby

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Agree with PPs.  I have run marathons in the past (well before TTC). Obviously everyone's body is different, but no matter what, it is super stressful on your body. I've never been regular, but training definitely messed with my cycle even more.  Also, if you are within your ideal weight range right now, you would definitely want to avoid losing weight (that's not to say you would def. lose while training- I actually gained!)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would guess that your RE will say no. Have you considered taking a TTC break? If so, running a marathon would be fine. 

PAIF/SAIF welcome
    PCOS-IR / Hypothyroid
    IUI#1-3: 100mg Clomid + Ovidrel trigger = BFN
    imageimageimage
  • Marathon training, if done appropriately, will probably NOT be too hard on your body, especially if you have a decent base right now. I am a casual runner and did my first marathon in 2010, a second marathon in 2011, and am in training for my third marathon. During training I lose a few pounds, but I've never gotten super-thin or have my period/cycle affected. I think if you pick a slow and steady training plan you'll be fine. My plan has always been to train for the marathon and if I got a BFP I would cut out the super-long runs and forget about the marathon. (This is all assuming you're not on any meds. My first day of lupron will probably coincide with my marathon race this summer, which I've already talked to my doctor about. After my marathon I am taking the next month off of running because that's when we're starting IVF and stims.)

I actually must say that marathon training has been wonderful for me during this infertility journey. I feel healthier and I feel like I'm not letting infertility take over my life. It is nice to have a goal outside of baby-related stuff and is a nice distraction. Of course I think this all depends on your diagnosis, your action plan/meds, and your RE's opinion. Good luck!

Photobucket  image
    Married: December 2005 ~ Started TTC: December 2008 ~ DH: 33, Me: 30
    Diagnosis: severe MFI, late ovulation, short LP, DOR
    Only option is IVF/ICIS. Waited several years before treatment because we're OOP.
    IVF/ICIS #1 in June 2012 (Protocol: Long Lupron). Stims: 6/17/12, ER: 6/30/12 (6R, 5M, 4F), ET: 7/5/12 (1 4AA embryo transferred, 0 made it to freeze) ~ Beta#1: 7/14/12 - 55, Beta#2: 7/16/12 - 100, Beta#3: 7/18/12 - 199 ~ Limbo for weeks, finally confirmed pregnancy not viable: 8/13/12 ~ D&C: 8/17/12 
    Varicocele Surgery: October 2012 (long break to wait for results, no change) 
    Changed clinics: February 2013 
    IVF/ICIS Attempt #2 in April 2013 (Protocol: Antagonist). Stims: 4/12/13, Cycle Cancelled: 4/17/13 for poor follicle response and low E2 rise. 
    IVF/ICIS Attempt #3 in May 2013 (Protocol: LEAP) Cycle Cancelled: 5/20/13 at suppression check due to cyst
    IVF/ICIS Attempt #4 in July 2013 (Protocol: LEAP). Stims: 7/20/13, ER: 8/1/13 (12R, 11M, 9F), ET: 8/6/13 (3 fair embryos transferred, 0 made it to freeze) ~ Beta#1: 8/15/13 - 86, Beta#2: 8/18/13 - 390.6, Ultrasound: 9/3/13 - TWO HEARTBEATS! 

• My RE said I could continue running half marathons if I wanted, but indicated that they have had more trouble with women who are marathoners -- he did also make the comment that if someone "is running 5 miles everyday" that tended to be an issue. I don't think he knows what even half marathon training looks like. ;)

Personally, I stepped back my running and moved to lower intensity cardio less frequently, just because I didn't want to wonder if that was the underlying cause of each and every cycle failure. And, given I'm annovulatory, I wonder if exercise as a whole is the reason I'm here to begin with. ::shrug:: Particularly as it becomes more and more expensive...there's plenty of time for a marathon for me (I definitely plan to run one in my lifetime! :) ), but for now, this has become the priority.

TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
  • EagsEags member

A new study was released about a month ago regarding heavy physical activity and fertility.  This has influenced me to cut back (a little) in the gym.  I had already cut back on the intensity anyway, so it wasn't a huge change.

https://health.usnews.com/health-news/news/articles/2012/03/15/too-much-exercise-delays-pregnancy-in-normal-weight-women-study

*It won't let me make it a clicky.

ETA: nm, it did make it a link.

6th cycle of meds/iui combos = BFP!! - EDD 1/21/13 <3
    Born via emergency c-section - 8lb, 19.75 in, 100% stubborn BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    8 cycles of unmedicated trying = BFP!! - EDD 1/10/18  <3
    BabyFetus Ticker
    *Waiting for Baby Eags 2.0*;
  • Thanks for the input ladies!  I spent my whole first year of TTC doing just about no exercise at all and being in the overweight BMI and obviously not getting pregnant.  After my m/c in October I decided to work on my health and weight and that's when I started running.  I've lost about 20 lbs and gotten back into the "average" BMI range.  I'd still like to lose 10 more but can't seem to get them off. 

I'm signed up for a 10 mile race in about 3 weeks.  It will be my first 10 miler, but I think I am building up a decent enough base to consider a full marathon in the fall.  If the RE nixes it I'll see if he will let me do a half.  It really is nice to have a non- TTC related goal to look forward to. Oh and I'm on Femara now.

IF, 5 losses, 1 son, 1 on the way.
    fall in love with someone Pictures Images and Photos  photo turtlejpg

• I am a distance runner and my RE specifically told me that intense exercise at the level I was doing could contribute to our IF problems.  Obviously I stopped running so much as soon as I heard that...

If you just started running there is a lot of stress on your body as you work your way up to 26.2 miles and it can affect your hormones (it did for me and I ran distance for years).  If you were a more established runner and your body was used to running 25+ miles per week for years and it didn't affect your hormones and menstrual cycle then I would say it might not be a big deal.  In this case, honestly I would skip the full until you are ready to work off the baby weight.

DX: Anovulation
    TX: IUI #1-4 = BFN + 1 c/p
    IUI #5: Clomid 100mg + Bravelle + Trigger + B2B IUIs + 800mg Progesterone = BFP!
    Beta #1 (14dpiui): 460 Beta #2 (16dpiui): 998 Beta #3 (23dpiui): 21,832 Beta #4 (29dpiui): 129,771

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"