June 2011 Moms

Borrowing LO clothes

How do you feel about it? Do you/have you let anyone borrow LOs outfits?

I have a friend who has a DD and after she was born, she asked if she could borrow some of LOs NB outfits/sleepers- of course! I don't mind, and I don't blame her, they grow out of NB so fast...

Her DD is growing fast, and 3mo things are becoming snug. She asked if she could borrow some 6mo stuff. I said of course, but I'm now kind of regretting it.

All of DD stuff is in really nice shape, and it's not that I don't think she won't take care of it, it's just at 6mo DDs things were out to the test with learning to eat. Some got messy, and some stained around the neck or down the front. I guess I'm just worried about how the stuff will look for my LO #2 (if it's another girl) after its been through *2* previous babies. I know this baby will be born in the opposite season, so some things won't be worn, but I feel like her 3&6mo would appropriate for this LO, especially the sleepers. DD ALWAYS wears sleepers to bed, no matter what the season....

Am I being silly for feeling hesitant to let her borrow things now? 

PP.s. not sure if it matters, but she doesn't know I'm expecting yet 

Those who don't believe in love at first sight, have never given birth
Big sister meeting little brother for the first time-
<a href="http://s326.photobucket.com/albums/k409/YellowMiles/?action=view

Re: Borrowing LO clothes

• AAAAND iPad is being lame. It won't let me correct anything, sorry
  • I would be hesitant to let her borrow them too, I still have all of Ash's clothes and have co workers who are having boys. I have thought about giving the clothes to them, but haven't. But if they asked I probably would lend them. I was given a lot of second hand clothes when I was pregnant and it was super helpful. I would want to help someone else if I could.

Not that I am saying that is what you should do, just that is what I would probably do.

• Loading the player...
  • I honestly wouldnt let my friend borrow them unless it was stuff I didn't  want back. Newborn is one thing, they aren't in them long but six month clothes are worn longer and babies are into more messes.

Image and video hosting 
by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a friend who is pregnant with a boy due in June and I'm going to give her some clothes of Reed's but only the clothes that I wouldn't be upset about if I never saw them again...
  • We have a friend who just had a DD after a few boys.  I was going to lend them stuff, but the other kids tend to destroy everything, and I want my stuff for the next LO, so if I gave it to them, I probably wouldn't get it back or it wouldn't be in any condition to use.  I felt bad, but oh well.
  • I would be hesitant too. There are a few people at work who are due in August with girls. I am probably going to go through the outfits I have and give them ones I don't want back.
  • I probably would be a little hesitant, especially since you are pregnant again and may need those clothes again soon.  However, as long as she's careful with them then it's probably fine.  Babies go through them so quickly that they don't get worn that much. 

If you find that they are coming back in worse shape, then maybe limit what you give her.  Or maybe you can give just a few of your least favorite outfits - that way, you are still helping her out, but you can still make sure you keep your favorites in good shape!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • kas80kas80 member
    I won't be lending out any of our gear until we are done with babies and I just give it away.  Even if they are great about getting stains out and taking care of them, clothes shrink a bit and just in general will get wear and tear with each use.  I'm not positive how many kids we'll end up with so I don't want to get into a situation where I have to buy new things because I lent things out.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAlyciaandRich:
    I honestly wouldnt let my friend borrow them unless it was stuff I didn't  want back. Newborn is one thing, they aren't in them long but six month clothes are worn longer and babies are into more messes.

Exactly my thought...

Ok, thanks ladies- I was starting to second guess myself if I was being reasonable, or hormonal ;)

She does give everything back, but I think I'm really going to limit what I give her.

Thanks ladies! 

• We have some close friends having twins in June/July.  I made a list of gear items we are willing to lend and mentioned that we are planning to keep clothing until we decide if we are having another LO.

I, too, would be wary of lending out clothing if I were expecting right now.  DS is still wearing a good portion of his 6 month clothing.  Could you use that as an excuse to delay a response until you are ready to announce your are pregnant again? 

TTC #1 5/97 - PCOS dx 6/10 - Metformin 8/10 - Moved from Endo to RE 9/10 - 50mg Clomid 9/10 - 100mg Clomid 10/18 - BFP - Beta #1 = 91 - Beta #2 = 958 EDD 6/28/11 Tater Tot arrived 6/21/11 on his Great Grandmother's 90th Birthday
  • I would be unsure of letting her borrow them also.  I would let my sister borrow DS's clothes.  As a matter of fact she saved up all of my niece's clothes and I saved up all of my son's clothes so that if she has a boy she can use DS's, and if I have a girl I can use her daughters. 

I know that in the event she ruins the clothes she will likely replace them or I really will not care.  Honestly most of DS's clothing up to 5 months is super stained from him vomiting constantly.  She will honestly want to borrow after then, I am sure and I have pulled out the few outfits I do not want her borrowing.

**February 20th, 2010 I Married My Best Friend and June 5th, 2011 My Soulmate Was Born** image Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimageimage
  • i lent out some baby clothes between kids to a friend.  i got them back in great condition well in time for my second kid.  this same friend lent me her maternity clothes during my second pregnancy.  i did stain one top, so i bought her two replacements.  and i gave her ALL of my maternity clothes for when she chooses to have another baby. 

i think that lending baby clothes is a great thing to do.  obviously, if there are certain pieces that you're very sentimental about, keep them, but i think sharing makes everyone richer in this case.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If I were to have another child, I think I'd be hesitant about letting someone else borrow the clothes.  But at the same time, if I were to have another child, I'd probably get a whole new wardrobe (with Mom's help...she takes too much enjoyment from buying baby clothes).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageBrandySun:
    If I were to have another child, I think I'd be hesitant about letting someone else borrow the clothes.  But at the same time, if I were to have another child, I'd probably get a whole new wardrobe (with Mom's help...she takes too much enjoyment from buying baby clothes).

I very much agree. Even if it is a girl, I'm SURE I'll buy new clothes (as well as both grandparents).... But I'm still hesitant  for some reason. I guess I'd rather just be safe than sorry

• I would keep all my favorites and lend out the rest. I buy a lot of clothes at consignment stores, so I haven't invested too much, and I could lose a lot of pieces and still have enough for my next LO.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'd probably choose a few that I didn't really care about, since I know I'd want to get a few new things for the new baby, regardless of the sex. But I think you can definitely just say you're saving them for a future child.
    Lilypie - (8zJg)Lilypie - (Eu83)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"