Working Moms
Options

Pink eye- question?

I have no experience with this. 

My DCP's DD has pink eye.  They caught it early, she's on eyedrops already.  The doctor told them that she will be fine/not contagious after being on the drops for 12 hours. 

DD is 4 and is one of the daycare kids (as in, she's there all day w/ the other kids).  

DCP is cleaning everything today and is going to be open tomorrow, but is leaving it to the discretion of the parents as to whether to send their child or not.

DS wasn't there yesterday or today because these are his normal days to be w/ my parents.

Given this, would you send your child? 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

Re: Pink eye- question?

• Options

DS has had it twice, and it spreads through DC like wildfire.  I think if the DCP cleans the toys, and pretty much everything (pink eye lives on surfaces a long time) and her DD is on eye drops it should be fine.

I'd consider you disinfecting too, and always washing hands before and after doing things, and try to keep your child from rubbing their eyes, because that's how it would spread.

Both times our DS had it we caught it really quick (had the green gooey eye gunk signs so we knew) made sure to get him on drops, and disinfected our house from top to bottom until he wasn't contagious anymore.

Its probably one of the lesser contagious things kids can get but its still an inconvenience.

• Options
    Yes I would send my child b/c the person is not contagious after using the drops for 24 hrs.  Also I am pretty sure by this point your LO has already been exposted to it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

If I'm reading this correctly...

DCP's kid came down with pinkeye yesterday and got on eye drops right away?

Your DD wasn't there yesterday (when the pinkeye was discovered) or today.  But she was there on Tues, when DCP's kid was contagious.

I would probably send her in tomorrow, since DCP is cleaning everything today.  I would want to keep my leave for a day when LO is really sick.

• Options
    If I had a day available to stay home with LO, I would probably do that. Pink eye is one of the most contagious things and I would hate for him to get it because it's no fun. Just keep checking her eyes and like PP said, make sure to wash your and her hands a lot.
  • Options

Update - DCP actually also called me.  Her neighbor's kids both had it, they were playing w/ her kids this week.  While DS hasn't been there in 2 days, I wonder about the other kids.

She said that 2 of the other boys are staying home tomorrow, but she doesn't know about 2 others.

My parents can actually take DS for most of the day, so I'm going to keep him home and then I'll just go home a little early to relieve them.  If he doesn't have it, I actually want to help ensure he doesn't get it! 

But thanks for the input - I was leaning towards sending him, and if I didn't have my parents/ leave, I'd feel pretty comfortable sending him.  But as I DO have those 2 things, why chance it? 

~Benjamin Franklin

• Options

Personally, I would use it as an excuse to call off of work tomorrow, but that's b/c I really really need a day off, LOL!

But otherwise, I would send your DS to DC tomorrow.

Funny you should post this b/c one of the little boys in DS class just came down with pink eye on Tuesday. Fingers crossed that both of our DS's don't get pink eye!!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagefinancialdiva:

Fingers crossed that both of our DS's don't get pink eye!!

Agreed! :)
    ~Benjamin Franklin

• Options
    AZ123AZ123 member
    Having had pink eye this past week, I can tell you that they're most contagious the week leading up to symptoms. Then, they're contagious so long as the guy is producing discharge. Your DD has already been exposed so now it is a matter of whether or not she has a built immunity to it. Sending her there tomorrow or not won't make a difference.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

If her DD has the viral kind then eye drops won't do anything for it and they will still be contagious.  If it's the bacterial kind then it will respond to the drops in 12-24 hours.  My doctor won't even prescribe them unless it's needed for daycare..  If prescribed to much antibiotics can make your child immune to them when they actually do need them.  When DD had it, she got it on a Thursday and so we kept her home on Friday so by Monday it was all cleared up without drops.  I would think it would be ok to send your DS.  It's like a cold, theres not really to much you can do about it and if your child gets it, they were probably already exposed to it.

• Options

imagevigurl:
    Yes I would send my child b/c the person is not contagious after using the drops for 24 hrs.  Also I am pretty sure by this point your LO has already been exposted to it.

This. But also my DD gets conjunctivitis w/ every illness: strep, ear infection,etc... I'm used to it and it's easy to clear up. Scary the first time none the less.

• Options
    I'd probably send your child. Yes it is highly contagious but I think most of the time it's pretty easily treatable and ESPECIALLY if caught early. DS got it from DC and it started with the greenish goopy eyes, we went to the dr the next morning for eye drops and he was totally fine within a day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• Options
    imagekcarbonell:

imagevigurl:

This. But also my DD gets conjunctivitis w/ every illness: strep, ear infection,etc... I'm used to it and it's easy to clear up. Scary the first time none the less.

This is what I was thinking too...and then I wondered what the weather is going to be like tomorrow, if its nice, I may be inclined to take the day off.  Stick out tongue

• Options
    imageEastCoastBride:

Update - DCP actually also called me.  Her neighbor's kids both had it, they were playing w/ her kids this week.  While DS hasn't been there in 2 days, I wonder about the other kids.

She said that 2 of the other boys are staying home tomorrow, but she doesn't know about 2 others.

My parents can actually take DS for most of the day, so I'm going to keep him home and then I'll just go home a little early to relieve them.  If he doesn't have it, I actually want to help ensure he doesn't get it! 

But thanks for the input - I was leaning towards sending him, and if I didn't have my parents/ leave, I'd feel pretty comfortable sending him.  But as I DO have those 2 things, why chance it? 

Makes sense. But truly, pink eye is no big. DD has gotten it twice and it clears up right away with drops.

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"