Single Parents
Options

New to all of this

Ok ladies, I need some advice.  I have a 5 week old and I am wondering how child support works.  Her dad signed the birth certificate so I think that establishes his paternity.  What is he responsible for regarding the hospital bills from delivery? And what is he responsible for as far as day care costs and health insurance we both have jobs, he makes about 14k more than me a year and I am the primary caretaker of our LO.  He doesn't have a set home so she is always with me.  Do I need an attorney or can I just go to the court house and file papers? Any advice greatly appreciatied

Re: New to all of this

• Options

In our state just because the father signs the birth certificate does not mean paternity is established.  We have a "paternity affidavit" that must be signed if the parents aren't married at the time of birth in order to establish paternity.  I don't know what the laws are where you are.  As for child support/bills/child care unless you two can come to an agreement in mediation you will need an attorney and you will have to go to court.  If you get primary custody, then yes.  He will be responsible for child support.  

• Options
    Depends on where you are. A signature on a birth certificate does not establish paternity,  you would have to sign state issued paternity papers, normally you should have been given these in the hospital. You can file for child support even if you have partial custody (*at least in Ca). As far as the bills,unless he is willing to help with them,  they are in your name, they are your bills. If you can't come to an agreement on custody/support I would suggest a mediator. Here you can use one with out a lawyer for an hourly rate
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"