November 2011 Moms
Options

EBF and vitamins

So at DD's 4 month appt a couple weeks ago, the pedi recommended vitamins with iron (Poly Vi Sol with Iron).  How are you all "feeding" these vitamins to LO?  The pedi recommended a spoon with some BM.  My other thought was just trying to get it to take it from the dropper?  Any tips??

These new vitamins seem like a pain.  I had been giving DD vitamin D drops and that was easy because I'd just put a drop on my boob while feeding.  This new vitamin mix is not a drop but 1mL so that will no longer work.  (Or maybe a little at a time?)

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: EBF and vitamins

• Options
    I thought EBF babies weren't supposed to have iron supplements until at least 6 months? Does your LO have iron deficiency?

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

I just give her the dropper a little bit at a time. it works okay, but she spits some out and the poly vi sol stains.

And apparently their iron store from being in utero is depleted at about four months, so they need iron supplements until they start getting iron from food.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I give DS vitamin D with a dropper, just squirt it into his cheeck and he automatically swallows.  Sometimes he spits it up but I think that as long as he gets it in most of the time it is fine.
    "Read the books, don
  • Options

No, DD doesn't have an iron deficiency, but like the PP mentioned, I think 4 months is common to start iron for EBF.   (And I hope my pedi wouldn't recommend it otherwise!  Besides, if I'm as good as giving her these vitamins as am I her vitamin d, she'll only get it about half the time anyway.  Embarrassed  )

Thanks for the recs on feeding.  I'll try straight from the dropper.  Do you sit them up or I wonder if I could try while she's on the changing table or something?  And thanks for the heads up about staining!  

• Options
    For the PP that asked, I know several of the pedis in my area Want you to start at 4 months. I believe that's the recommended age. 

• Options

Our pedi recommended it too.  We just give it out of the dropper and whatever she gets I assume is better than not taking any.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I give them in the bath because D2 spits them out still.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I give them when she's laying down, she's less likely to spit them out that way.
  • Options

We were instructed from 2 months on to give 1mL of vit. D drops, not one drop. Or did you intend to say one dropper full? Sorry....I'm hung up with that.

Our pedi said iron doesn't become a problem until 6 months+ because LO is still working off the iron he got during pregnancy. So at 6 months we are to put rice cereal into the diet. The vitamins with iron in them are nasty tasting! Even our pedis acknowledge this and feel that LO will get all the vitamins he needs through me taking my vitamins (minus the vit. D of course).

• Options
    imageRedCamaro:

We were instructed from 2 months on to give 1mL of vit. D drops, not one drop. Or did you intend to say one dropper full? Sorry....I'm hung up with that.

Our pedi said iron doesn't become a problem until 6 months+ because LO is still working off the iron he got during pregnancy. So at 6 months we are to put rice cereal into the diet. The vitamins with iron in them are nasty tasting! Even our pedis acknowledge this and feel that LO will get all the vitamins he needs through me taking my vitamins (minus the vit. D of course).

No, it's really only one drop.  :)  It's called Baby-D's and you give just a drop.  Good, because it's easy to give just a drop.  Bad, because a drop can be a little imprecise.  

My pedi also warned about the bad taste.  :(

• Options
    imageNatty13umppo:

No, it's really only one drop.  :)  It's called Baby-D's and you give just a drop.  Good, because it's easy to give just a drop.  Bad, because a drop can be a little imprecise.  

My pedi also warned about the bad taste.  :(

Huh, I wish I had known about those! When I give anything orally to LO, I put small amounts inside his cheek. If it goes over his tongue he can spit more of it out easily. I usually give it to him when he's laying down. But beware that LO can choke easily this way so make sure they swallow everytime (blowing air into the face can help if you aren't sure if LO swallowed or not).

• Options
    imageRedCamaro:

Huh, I wish I had known about those! When I give anything orally to LO, I put small amounts inside his cheek. If it goes over his tongue he can spit more of it out easily. I usually give it to him when he's laying down. But beware that LO can choke easily this way so make sure they swallow everytime (blowing air into the face can help if you aren't sure if LO swallowed or not).

Ha!  That's my trick for getting my cats to swallow pills!  I guess it's the same for babies!  :D

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"