June 2012 Moms
Options

How realistic is this? Advice needed.

My H is graduating college. This is a really big deal as it has taken years of hard work for him to accomplish this. I am so proud of him. The only thing is the ceremony is June 15. So if LO comes on due date I'm looking at having a 2 week old.

I plan to EBF. I know there is no guarantee that this will work out but I want to try. The ceremony is in NYC and we would have to take the train there. There is also a dinner afterwards. I'm thinking I would be away from LO for 4-6 hours all together.

I know I could find someone to watch him. But I'm worried about feeding him. Would 2 weeks be too early to introduce the bottle? Also I'm worried I'll just feel really crappy just 2 weeks after giving birth.

I've talked to H and told him I would see how I was feeling but honestly I would feel terrible to miss such an important milestone.

Oh and we have agreed that bringing LO is not an option.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: How realistic is this? Advice needed.

• Options
    If you are breastfeeding, then you are going to need to pump if you away for 4-6 hours.  Otherwise you are going to have to deal with engorgement and/or leaking.  I know you said it wasn't an option, but if it were me I would rather bring LO.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'd definitely go, though I'd try to cut out the dinner and just grab takeout on the way home... Just pump and have some milk available for bottle feeding. While everything I've read says not to introduce a bottle until the baby is BF'ing well, it is a huge event and I think it warrants trying. Worse case scenario, he won't take the bottle and will drive the person watching him nuts because he's hungry, but you can always feed him when you get home.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Is there anyway you could attend either the graduation or the dinner.  I agree, you would not want to miss such an important event, but 6 hours will feel long to leave LO in my honest opinion. 

That is a tough one, but you may feel great 2 weeks post partum, or you may feel like poo.  I went to my SIL shower 3 weeks post partum and got pretty engorged, but other than that I was fine.  My LO started on bottles very early and went back and forth with some help (nipple shields).  So I think it's okay based on my limited expereince.  You may have to play that one by ear.

Congrats to you H and to you too.  I am sure it has taken a lot of support from you:)

• Options
    I agree with the other that I would try to make one of the events since this is important to him. Ask which one he would rather you be at and then plan to only leave the baby for that shorter time. Really, I would probably try to take the baby with me since it would be easier for me and when I wear my babies, they sleep really well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    This is a tough one. If LO is not born by your due date, and say a week late, you could have a 1 week old. I would just plan on going by yourself, stay for the ceremony and skip the dinner. Its not too soon to introduce a bottle, but after 4 hrs you will definitely be engorged/leaking and wil need to pump. I agree wiht you and would not bring LO with me. Infants are so succeptible to infections when they are that little, I would not want to risk bringing the baby around so many people that soon.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

• Options

I hate to be the debbie-downer of the group, but this is going to be extremely difficult timing for you.  My DD was 2 weeks late and then I had a c-section.  The first two weeks of recovery were really tough.  So, it wouldn't have worked for me at all.  The first four weeks of breastfeeding and learning to latch can be really hard.  And then there's all the emotional baggage (aka 'baby blues').  You may have trouble leaving LO.

If everything works out perfectly - baby comes early, your recovery is smooth, BFing is going well and you're emotionally ready to leave the baby... then go for it!

• Options

imagedoxgirl:
    If you are breastfeeding, then you are going to need to pump if you away for 4-6 hours.  Otherwise you are going to have to deal with engorgement and/or leaking.  I know you said it wasn't an option, but if it were me I would rather bring LO.

This or go to the ceremony and skip the dinner/reception.

"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• Options
    I'm in the same exact position! DH's graduation (after 9 years of college) is ON my EDD! I know the chances of LO coming then are slim, so I'm not super worried, but if she's born a little early I'll of course want to go to the ceremony as well. I don't think that pumping at 2 weeks is an issue as long as LO is latching on properly and you have mastered BFing (From what I've been told) - so how well BFing is going can often be more of a marker than how long has passed since the birth. 
  • Options

imagedoxgirl:

This.  But You may feel fine, you may not.  If you are late, you could be a week or less PP and this would probably not work.  I really think it is best to bring LO.  Mostly he'll sleep and you can nurse quick and that's that.  It is much easier going to anything with a newborn than a toddler, but YOU may not feel so great yet.  It is a big deal so I'd do the best I can to go of course, but I think you need to have a few plans in place.  ie. just the ceremony, no dinner or play it by ear.  Why is it not an option to bring LO?

Also, with all the BF issues we had there was not a chance in hell I would have been able to leave her at 2 weeks.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Is there anyway you could bring your sitter of choice with you, and just have them watch the little one close by while you go to the events? That way if you need to leave for a bit and nurse etc. the baby is available, but you're not having to bring him/her to the events?

We have a very large out of town wedding that we both really would like to attend 2.5 weeks after my EDD. The current plan is that my mother will be coming with us and will keep the baby during the ceremony and reception and I will come in between the two events to nurse and probably come by at least once during the reception as well.

Still, DH and I have talked and if I am not feeling well or have any complications than I won't be going to the wedding at all.

• Options

Thanks for all your advice ladies. You have all given me a lot to think about. I think the best bet may be to just plan on going to the ceremony and skip the dinner.

To the poster who asked why bringing LO is not an option, I'm not really comfortable bringing a 2 week old around so many people so soon. Maybe it's just me being a paranoid FTM but I'm hesitant about it.

This is so tough and I'm really torn about it. I think I'll have to play it by ear since I have no idea how I will be feeling at that time. 

Thanks again everyone.

• Options
    imageDiveFrog:

Is there anyway you could bring your sitter of choice with you, and just have them watch the little one close by while you go to the events? That way if you need to leave for a bit and nurse etc. the baby is available, but you're not having to bring him/her to the events?

This is what I was going to write. I don't think I could go 4-6 hours without nursing in the beginning. I would have been totally engorged and bursting out of my outfit. Not to mention, the baby may be cluster feeding hourly which would make for one hungry baby. Especially after 4-6 hours, that wouldn't really be fair.

If all else fails, I would feel much more comfortable bringing the baby. At that age they mostly eat and sleep, so if you fed on the train LO would be happy for a bit, feed after the ceremony, and so on. Plus, it would make for great photos to have LO there on such a big day. If you kept the baby in the carrier with a cover there wouldn't be much exposure, but I understand how you feel about crowds. If it's anything like the graduations we've attended they are pretty speedy and not much interaction other than with your SO.

We went to a wedding 4 weeks after LO was born and my sister kept him for us so I could sneak away and feed as demanded. He slept the rest of the time.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Well as PP said you may go late, have a c, etc.  If everything works out an you deliver 2 weeks prior to the ceremony, for me it would depend on a few things.  Where on the island are you (I'm in Nassau and also a conductor on Lirr)?  How close is the ceremony to penn?  Can you take a cab or will you be forced to take the subway?  The 15th is a Friday so if you leave the city between 4-8 pm it will be peak and you may not get a seat.   Honestly the baby will be fine, a bottle would work for one feeding without nipple confusion I would think.  If you live far out though I would be concerned with how long it could take to get home (ronkonkoma is about an hour and a half from penn, whereas Hicksville is only 40 minutes).   It's a tough call with so many factors to consider.  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemarianj79:

Well as PP said you may go late, have a c, etc.  If everything works out an you deliver 2 weeks prior to the ceremony, for me it would depend on a few things.  Where on the island are you (I'm in Nassau and also a conductor on Lirr)?  How close is the ceremony to penn?  Can you take a cab or will you be forced to take the subway?  The 15th is a Friday so if you leave the city between 4-8 pm it will be peak and you may not get a seat.   Honestly the baby will be fine, a bottle would work for one feeding without nipple confusion I would think.  If you live far out though I would be concerned with how long it could take to get home (ronkonkoma is about an hour and a half from penn, whereas Hicksville is only 40 minutes).   It's a tough call with so many factors to consider.  

I'm in Nassau about an hour from Penn. I'm not sure how far the ceremony is from Penn but I would take a cab to save time. I guess like you said there's just so many factors. I guess I will have to just play it by ear. But I'm the type of person who likes to plan out things and this has been on my mind so it's kinda hard for me to have to just wait and see.

• Options
    imagenaflmj:

imagedoxgirl:

This or go to the ceremony and skip the dinner/reception.

ditto.   I could have never left a 1,2,3 week old- they feed all the time still- like every hour or two.  Why do you feel bringing baby would be hard or not an option? 

• Options
    imagecchill01:

I hate to be the debbie-downer of the group, but this is going to be extremely difficult timing for you.  My DD was 2 weeks late and then I had a c-section.  The first two weeks of recovery were really tough.  So, it wouldn't have worked for me at all.  The first four weeks of breastfeeding and learning to latch can be really hard.  And then there's all the emotional baggage (aka 'baby blues').  You may have trouble leaving LO.

If everything works out perfectly - baby comes early, your recovery is smooth, BFing is going well and you're emotionally ready to leave the baby... then go for it!

ITA with this.  Plus I can think of a couple of other issues.  First of all, DS was nursing about every two hours (at the most) and he was super slow, like 30-40 mins a feeding.  Also, your supply will most likely be pretty limited still at that point and you may only get an ounce or two at a time when pumping.  You'd need to make sure you started pumping from your LO's birth to make sure you have enough to cover the time you are gone.  For PP who suggested worst case scenario being that your LO goes 4-6 hours without eating...there is no way I'd leave my 2 week old to be hungry that long, no matter how important the event.

• Options
    Why is bringing LO not an option? At 2 weeks post-partum, and EBFing, I wouldn't leave LO behind, not only because they'd be so new, but b/c it'd simply be more convenient to bring LO. If you don't bring LO, then you'd need to have pumped enough in advance to get through the day, plus pump while you're out (unless, as PP said, you want to risk engorgement and/or leaking). At 2 weeks old, LO could be in the car seat, sleep through a lot of the day, and easily be calmed and fed at the boob. That's a really exciting event for your DH, so I can understand wanting to be there, but if it were me, I'd go with LO.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageSawyerplus1:
    Why is bringing LO not an option? At 2 weeks post-partum, and EBFing, I wouldn't leave LO behind, not only because they'd be so new, but b/c it'd simply be more convenient to bring LO. If you don't bring LO, then you'd need to have pumped enough in advance to get through the day, plus pump while you're out (unless, as PP said, you want to risk engorgement and/or leaking). At 2 weeks old, LO could be in the car seat, sleep through a lot of the day, and easily be calmed and fed at the boob. That's a really exciting event for your DH, so I can understand wanting to be there, but if it were me, I'd go with LO.

I'm just hesitant to bring him out in such a crowded place so soon. I mentioned it to H and he didn't think it was a good idea to bring LO either. But maybe we need to reconsider this idea though as it would be the most convenient.

• Options

I would bring LO.  It is more work to bring a pump and find a place to pump, store milk, etc. than to bring a 2 week old baby that will sleep most of the time, can nurse anywhere, and can be worn or chill in a stroller.

If you have an easy vaginal delivery, you will likely feel up to going.

If you have a  c/s or a difficult delivery, you will not feel up to that kind of excursion so soon.

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options

Is it possible to bring LO and a sitter to stay with LO while you are at the ceremony?  This way you would be with him on the train, and then you could come back and check in and feed him in between the ceremony and dinner?

As far as I have heard that nipple confusion stuff is pretty much BS.  But I'm hardly an expert. 

It will be tricky but DEFINITELY possible.  I think you should go for it because you will regret missing it for years to come. 

• Options
    imagenotfrancie:

Is it possible to bring LO and a sitter to stay with LO while you are at the ceremony?  This way you would be with him on the train, and then you could come back and check in and feed him in between the ceremony and dinner?

As far as I have heard that nipple confusion stuff is pretty much BS.  But I'm hardly an expert. 

It will be tricky but DEFINITELY possible.  I think you should go for it because you will regret missing it for years to come. 

I have a good friend who I'm sure would do this for me. I guess it would just be a matter of finding a place for her and LO to hang out during the ceremony. I agree with you that I will regret it if I miss it. I will do my best to make it work.

Thanks again for all your ideas and suggestions ladies! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"