August 2012 Moms
Options

Man, SHOULD I be feeling movement?!

People keep assuming I can feel the baby by now. Thursday we went in for our third try at getting a crystal clear shot of the goods at an elective place (and it worked!) and the lady said "is the baby moving around a lot? If so it should be easy" and I had no idea how to react because as far as I know, I haven't felt a dang thing. 

And here's a fun one--at my 12 week appointment, one of the doctors (a student of some level, that's all I see) asked me how much movement I was feeling. I just said "I'm 12 weeks along, so none" and she was like "oh, well, maybe not then." She then proceeded to get ready to measure my fundal height before realizing my uterus wasn't even out of my pelvis yet. I thought that was ridiculous, but now here I am at 18 weeks and it seems like it's just assumed I'm feeling things!

I haven't been told anything about my placental position, although I'm not sure if the tech at an elective scan place would give that information. Pictures of the baby seem clear and I've read that it's hard to get them if the placenta is anterior.

Can I get some stories of feeling no flutters or anything until much later? I know it's common but I'm being bombarded with things making me worry now :( I've been sick since March 17th with a cold that is now a bad sinus/ear infection, which I feel is now about 70% out of me, but I just worry since I've been taking so much Tylenol (a couple extra strength doses a day--not an overload) and nasal spray on top of my antibiotics.

I'm just having a freak out session that's punctuated by the fact that I just really want to feel my kiddo wiggle!

Our Squishy - 8/21/12
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
blog! thescenery.net

Re: Man, SHOULD I be feeling movement?!

• Options
    My doctor said it is competley normal to not feel movement even up to 22 weeks.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I complete understand how you're feeling!  I'm a little over 19 weeks pregnant and have not really felt anything either.  Every so often I can maaaayyybe feel a little "tingle," but then I feel the same sensation up around my ribs (and know the baby isn't up there yet), which makes me second guess the tingles I feel lower near my uterus.

It doesn't help that a friend of mine is due a few days before me and her Facebook has been exploding lately with updates about not just feeling the baby KICK, but having her hubby actually feel them from the outside too!  Definitely get jealous when I see those posts...and worry of course!

Not sure if this was the response you were looking for...but just wanted to let you know I can totally empathize with you.  :)  Everything I've googled says it's normal not to feel movement for a few more weeks, but I know that's hard to accept when it seems like everyone around you is feeling baby already!  Just know there's at least one other person in the same boat as you.  I like to tell myself it just means my baby is calm and will be a little angel when he/she is born.  ;)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My OB said it's totally normal to not feel anything until around 20 weeks.  Do you know how big baby is?  I know our little girl is only in the 22 percentile for size, so I may not feel movement for awhile just because she's tiny.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thank you, ladies! Empathizing is definitely appreciated! I know with my size it will be a while before movement is felt from the outside, so I'm not too worried about that. It just concerns me when people who are about as far along as I am are feeling outside movements and I don't even have any inside yet!
    Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • Options
    I'm almost 20 weeks with my second child, and I still am not feeling anything. I worry too, but keep hearing that it's okay! I know that if you are overweight to start or have an "anterior placenta" (whatever that means!) it's harder to feel movement.
  • Options
    I had only been feeling flutters and rolls every now and then, but was told at my a/s Friday that I do have an anterior placenta (which just means the baby implanted and placenta grew on the side of the ute closest to your belly instead of your back), so I won't expect to feel much more than that for a few more weeks. Good thing I have my doppler!  :)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 
    After 22 cycles and 4 failed IUIs, Serafina joined our family through IVF/ICSI, born 8.28.12
    Our surprise baby, Juliette, is due 12.8.14!

• Options
    With my first I didn't feel anything until 18 weeks, and that was only in retrospect. A few weeks after 18 weeks I realized that I'd been feeling little pops at that time. Too early to worry. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagejociejones:
    I'm almost 20 weeks with my second child, and I still am not feeling anything. I worry too, but keep hearing that it's okay! I know that if you are overweight to start or have an "anterior placenta" (whatever that means!) it's harder to feel movement.

Being overweight has nothing to do with fetus movement. I am overweight and have been feeling movement since at 17-18 wks. But at 22 hubs cant feel anything.
    Now as to the OP, it is nothing to not feel movement till 20-22 wks. I dont think with my daughter I felt movement till maybe 20 wks...just relax. Baby will make his movements :)

• Options

Just joining the chorus.  It's normal not to be feeling movement yet.  Baby can be moving a lot but you may not notice because his/her movements/kicks are not strong enough for you to notice.

Don't worry in a few months, you'll be watching your belly do the wave or poking baby and he/she will poke back! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I can honestly tell you that I felt NOTHING until 21 weeks. Now it's like a party going on in there. I too was a bit concerned an I guess looking back I probably did start to feel flutters around 20 weeks but thought it was gas :-)

I don't have any placenta issues and baby is fine. You are very normal.  

• Options

I'm 21 weeks and change and really was only sure that what I was feeling was baby was only last week.  Before then, sometimes I'd feel little rollings but wasn't sure.  My dotor was surprised I wasn't feeling more at my 20 week but said it was fine--he said likely i've been busy at work and just hadn't noticed.  

I'm fairly small and do not have an anterior placenta.

• Options
    I haven't felt jack diddly yet either! You aren't alone in this club I swear! I'm hoping baby starts dancing in there soon enough for me as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    19 weeks here, and I haven't felt anything yet...everyone is asking and it is getting annoying :(
    Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Options
    I am 20 weeks and some change, and can barely feel her just now. Like literally, in the last 48 hours. I just now got these small, small tapping sensations. Like heavy flutters, almost like a muscle spasm, but deeper inside.  Everyone's talking about "outside" kicks and baby "dancing"....and yeah, nothing over here. Just jealousy on my part from reading all of these posts.  I wouldn't panic.  It will happen at your body's own sweet pace. (This has been SO irritating for me, so you're not alone)
    July Siggy Challenge: Chambord Pomegranate Margarita. YUM! Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't feel anything with DS until 21 weeks.
  • Options
    irerirer member
    I think even with a posterior placenta that it is still early days not to feel every little movement. I think some people are just more sensitive to movement than others.  Also, it depends where your baby is located (and which direction they are kicking). They have a lot of room to hide in there still! 
  • Options
    I didn't feel much movement until 21 weeks.  But once it starts, you'll be able to recognize it and notice that it happens all the time.  I worried, too.  Getting through weeks 17-21 was difficult.  
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker image
  • Options
    imagelady_tytah:

imagejociejones:

Being overweight has nothing to do with fetus movement. I am overweight and have been feeling movement since at 17-18 wks. But at 22 hubs cant feel anything.
    Now as to the OP, it is nothing to not feel movement till 20-22 wks. I dont think with my daughter I felt movement till maybe 20 wks...just relax. Baby will make his movements :)

I read that in "What to Expect When You're Expecting." Wasn't trying to be offensive :)

• Options
    With first I didn't until around 20 weeks and. Even then wasnt sure until a few weeks later.  I wouldn't worry.  You'll know when you feel LO!
  • Options
    I am 20 weeks and I have felt no movement. It made me nervous reading on here about everyone who was feeling kicks, but after my u/s I saw she was moving and everything is fine. They said I have an anterior placenta which I believe. I hear you though it would be nice to feel her move!! Hopefully you feel something soon!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"