3rd Trimester
Options

Bumbo Seats...

Are they worth it?

Re: Bumbo Seats...

• Options

No! this post got my attention because I just put ours back away. It sat unused for this baby's whole life. I don't know why I've saved it. Nobody liked it... My kids just don't "work" in it. I know some ppl love it, but not us!

Elizabeth

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I just saw these for the first time at Buy Buy Baby here in MO. I was wondering the same thing. Do they really make a difference? Hopefully someone has an answer :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

YES! My only regret is not getting one sooner. It was so easy to use to help him sit up for any time I needed. Feeding, playing, or even just to keep him in one spot while I used the bathroom. We used it a couple times a day. Plus it's so easy to bring with.

My 4 y/o still tries to sit in it. Even though his chubby thighs are to big to get out easy...

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We liked ours. We didn't use it a ton but it was great for photos and playing. I did read an article the other day though about how there have still been serious injuries, even on the floor when babies manage to propel themselves out of it. Skull fractures and possibly even deaths. I'll use it again but be mindful of the surfaces I sit it on. Carpet or foam mat rather than the tiled kitchen floor, for example. 
  • Options
    I think it really depends on the baby. My first born hated it. He would straighten out his back and cry. Our second born liked it enough to sit still for me folding laundry or a quick bite to eat. I say check Craigslist or a garage sale. They are a pricey gamble.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Yep. I used ours quite a bit with DD#1 and hopefully will use it again this time around. 

Craigslist or Ebay may be a great place to get one for cheap. 

• Options
    I think it's like anything else, it depends on the baby. They weren't around so I didn't have one for my son, but it was a LIFESAVER with DD. She had reflux, and that was seriously the only place we could put her down where she was happy. I kept ours and plan to use try it with this baby as well. If she doesn't like it, then I can happily get rid of it. 
  • Options
    HkayeHkaye member
    Yes I used mine all the time with dd!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

imageJuneBugBaby2012:
    I think it really depends on the baby. My first born hated it. He would straighten out his back and cry. Our second born liked it enough to sit still for me folding laundry or a quick bite to eat. I say check Craigslist or a garage sale. They are a pricey gamble.

I agree I just borrowed one from a girl at work in case our daughter does not like it I can just give it back! They are pretty expensive new :)  

Ali Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    pretty sure its like any other infant item, not meant to be used unsupervised or as a babysitter. parents as such are the reason walkers are banned in canada. our family has always used them and most baby items tend to be safe with proper supervision.
  • Options
    We liked ours. I wouldn't pay full price for it, but I'd definitely keep an eye out at garage sales/consignment shops for one. It was nice having a place to put DD other than the bouncer (which she HATED). It's light and fairly small, so I could bring it on trips with us too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My daughter loved hers. She actually still loves it, even though she doesn't fit. 
    i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • Options

My manager actually just showed me an article about them this week as many consumer groups are calling for them to be recalled because children keep falling out of them and injurying their heads.  I guess this can happen even when they are used on the floor and part of the problem is that there is not a strap to hold the babies in.  I was planning on getting one as well but now I'm not sure it would be a good idea unless we supervise him carefully in it at all times.

https://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/story/2012-02-09/bumbo-baby-seats-safety/53032746/1

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I wasn't going to buy one just because I had the same question if it was worth it... but a friend is lending me hers as her LO is over a year now and not using it.  So we'll see...  It seems like this is the case with so many items like this.  Some babies LOVE them, some don't.  If you're not sure, see if you can borrow one or buy one used if possible...

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    DS would have hated one. Plus, he's always been big and probably would have outgrown it a long time ago. I love the Summer Infant Super Seat though. It has a tray that surrounds them with toys and actually occupies him if I need to run and do something quickly without him escaping. It has an insert for smaller babies and that comes out to fit bigger ones. I think it even turns into a booster, though I doubt we'd use it for that. 
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • Options
    It was essential for us. We would put her in it and set her on the island while I made dinner. But I recommend getting the BebePod instead. The leg holes are bigger so if you have a chubby baby he/she will fit longer. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We never used ours. My son didn't want to sit in it at all. Try to borrow one or check garage sales. I've seen them for under $5.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    It seems like a good idea so we will see. My friend let me borrow hers, and I bought the try that snaps in so it's like a mini high chair ($12 at Target).
  • Options
    It's one of those depends on your baby items. Every baby is different. My boys hATED the swing but loved the bouncy seat, bumbo and jumperoo. My boys loved it especially ds1 who wanted to sit up and see before he could on his own. We also used it as a highchair to feed solids until the boys could sit up on their own in the booster seat. We saw no use in getting a huge hairchair when the bumbo and booster seat work great. 
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The Bumbo is one of our favorite baby items--DD is 17 months and we just stopped using it this week! She ate breakfast and lunch in it every single day with the attached tray. Plus, it's portable. We just transitioned to a Chicco hook on chair for our counter. DD was learning to dig her heels into the counter to and move the Bumbo, so it became unsafe. To be fair, DD is in the 5th % for height and weight, so I know most people won't be able to use it as long as we did.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I definitely think that it is one of those things that depends on the child, but I would definitely recommend trying it out. 

They really are pretty inexpensive in the US, (and stores like Target frequently have sales where they include the tray for free, etc.), so I don't think it is much of a hit if your child isn't a big fan.  (You could always sell it again, as people are always looking for one.)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    No. Not for us.  DD hated being trapped in that position.  We never used it. 
  • Options
    imageMaggieF516:

My manager actually just showed me an article about them this week as many consumer groups are calling for them to be recalled because children keep falling out of them and injurying their heads.  I guess this can happen even when they are used on the floor and part of the problem is that there is not a strap to hold the babies in.  I was planning on getting one as well but now I'm not sure it would be a good idea unless we supervise him carefully in it at all times.

https://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/story/2012-02-09/bumbo-baby-seats-safety/53032746/1

I wonder how young the babies were that parents put in the bumbo chair that they would fall over?  I only ask because my DD1 hated it, and DD2 liked it, but I never brought it out until I felt that their head and neck muscles were strong enough to hold their head up.  DD2 liked it moreso though when she was like 6 months old, not so much at around 4-5 months. . but I have seen pictures of 2 months old recently in them on FB. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Before DS could sit we only used it a couple of minutes ever. I'll be honest, he looked SO cute in it sitting up when tint, but PTs will tell you that "forcing" a baby into a position that their bodies cannot hold on their own is not the best thing for development. Using a recling seat (like a FP Spave Saver in the NB position) is a great way to get baby up high but securely). Once baby was a sturdy sitter, there was really no need for it. It should never be put up on a high surface, so why put baby in that to sit when he can sit on the floor on him own? All that said, the time when we use it now is as highchair when DS comes to work with me because with the tray on it keeps his food mess contained much more than if he was sitting on the floor, walking around eating, etc. It also can make a great extra highchair (on the floor) in a pinch if a friend with another baby comes over. Ours was a hand-me-down. I don't think they are worth it new.
  • Options
    We were given one for dd from a friend whose baby hated his. My dd hated it too. We kept it to see if dd#2 likes it, but I am soo glad I didnt buy it myself. If you really want one, they are always on kijiji super cheap or second hand stores. You cannot possibly ruin a bumbo so they are always as brand new when you get them second hand 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"