Baby Names

Might be pregnancy brain, but I'm considering...

Tiberius (Ty for a NN)

Someone suggested it to DH, and I thought it was a joke, but the longer I think about it, the more it grows on me. Am I totally crazy? Is it too unconventional? (We are not really unconventional people.)

DH and I have been throwing around baby names since we got engaged three years ago. Girl names were easy... but we're still struggling on boy names.

Other contenders include Nathaniel, Elijah, and Isaiah. But DH really likes the hard consonant sounds in Tiberius. Regardless of FN, MN will be Benjamin (family significance).

Please tell me if I'm nuts for allowing Tiberius to continue sneaking on to the short list!

me 26 / DH 29
TTC#1 since 5/2010 (charting, AO)
2/2011: DX: PCOS, hypothyroid (1700 mg Metformin, 50 mcg Synthroid)
8/10/2011: First RE appt.
9/2011 & 10/2011: Clomid + Ovidrel + TI = BFN
11/2011: Femara + Ovidrel + TI = BFN
1/2012: Femara + Follistim + Ovidrel + TI = BFP! (Praise the Lord!)
?3/23/2012: Graduated from the RE... moving on to a regular OB!?
?10/29/2012: Our precious baby boy was born via emergency C-section. 5 lbs, 13 oz; 18" long ?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

Re: Might be pregnancy brain, but I'm considering...

• I really like Ty, but Tiberius is pretty strange....it sounds like a country. How about Tyrus or just plain old Ty? GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Tiberius is definitely not my style, but it isn't too off the wall.  If you like the nn Ty, would you like something like Tyler instead? 

I really like the other 3 on your list and personally think you have a great set to begin with.  

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Loading the player...
  • There's someone on here (sorry I'm bad with names) with a son whose mn is Tiberius.  I'm pretty sure.  I actually kind of like it although I'm partial to Elijah. 
    Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • I think it's kind of cool in an off-beat way. Ty is an approachable NN so I think you can get away with a wild FN! Good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    blog
    Diagnosed hypothyroidism.
  • Tiberius has potential, but it is a mouthful paired with Benjamin. I do like Ty, so maybe Tyson? Tyler?
  • If you love it....go for it. I think it is cute and your NN is totally mainstream.
    Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • how very Star Trek of you.  (Captain Kirk's middle name)
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageNicki Boston:
    how very Star Trek of you.  (Captain Kirk's middle name)

I know! I brought that up to DH, but he swears that Star Trek will be so obsolete by the time this baby makes it to the playground that no one will pick up on it. I'm not so sure...

me 26 / DH 29
    ?10/29/2012: Our precious baby boy was born via emergency C-section. 5 lbs, 13 oz; 18" long ?

Anniversary
  • imagekaleidoskpeyez:

imageNicki Boston:
    how very Star Trek of you.  (Captain Kirk's middle name)

I know! I brought that up to DH, but he swears that Star Trek will be so obsolete by the time this baby makes it to the playground that no one will pick up on it. I'm not so sure...

Tiberius was thiiiiis close to being DS's middle name.  And we loved the Star Trek relation.  James T. Kirk kicks ass.  The only reason we went with a different T middle name is because we got a LOT of negative comments from friends and family.  Run it by yours first if you care about their opinions.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • SxiaSxia member

I have a friend whose son is Benjamin Tiberius. But she has a penchant for wacky middle names. (Zachariah is another one.)

Just know it's Captain Kirk's middle name, in case you're at all geeky. Not horribly crazy, esp since it has a "regular" nickname.

Samantha Skye - Aug 30, 2006 AND Maxwell Griffin - April 14, 2009
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • The more i say it, the more it sounds like a car. But its cool!
    BFP#1 11/10* DS Born via Cesarean 7/11* BFP#2 EDD 1/31/14 *M/C 6/13* BFP #3 RCS 3/14/14
    Brothers!
    "I wish that I could bake a cake, made out of rainbows and smiles. And we would all eat it and be happy." 
  • It reminds me of Syburis, which is like a sex hotel in Illinois
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It won't be that obselete.  Fandoms are passed down through generations.  I will say though, the ones who will know what it's from, won't be the ones who will make fun of it so I say go for it if you want to.
  • Besides being Kirk's middle name, Tiberius was also a Roman Emperor.  I like it a lot - it is strong, has historical significance, and is very unique.  I wouldn't be too worried about it being long with the MN -- how often will his whole name be used?  And even when it is, I think it sounds nice with Benjamin.
  • DS"s mn is Tiberius, after DH's grandfather (Romanian). It was really close to being his first name, but he wanted the same nn too (Tibi), and I don't like that one. I wanted Ty. So it was relegated to the MN position. Since my H is a computer guy, a lot of people assume its after Captain Kirk. I don't care. That's not a bad association. My H hate Star Trek, though, He's more of a babylon5 guy. 

Anyway, it is an actual name, with positive famous people connotations. I wouldn't say anything about Captain Kirk unless you named him James Tiberius (was on our list since James is big on my mom's side). 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • ah625ah625 member

I love it!

It's also the name of the 2nd emperor of the Roman Empire, he was the emperor that Caligula replaced. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I like it.
    Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• I like Tiberius but think Ty is a boring and common nickname for it. I don't see the point of an uncommon name if you're just going to turn around and call him something so mainstream.
    Mary Jane {12} Kaden {10} Eliza {4} Due Sept. '14

CafeMom Tickers

Considering . . . Agatha, Beatrix, Clara, Daphne, Isadora, Josephine, Matilda, Philippa, Tabitha, Winifred . . .
  • I like it- but then I'm also tossing around Odin for my little guy which a lot of people think is wacky...
  • I actually love it! It's unusual but distinguished, and certainly is a real name.

I think it has kind of a similar feel to Tyrion, which my husband and I are both crushing on right now (damn you, Game of Thrones). 

• Wow, I'm actually overwhelmed by the number of positive responses!

You ladies have given me a lot to think about... but I think Tiberius will stay on the "short list," at least for the time being. Thanks for the input!

me 26 / DH 29

Anniversary
  • I dislike Tiberius, but seriously LOVE Tobias.

Also, I love Elijah. 

TTC since June 2010.
    DX hypothyroidism, pituitary hyperfunction, and PCOS.
    On med/treatment break indefinitely. Not currently trying.
    Lots of love to all of my Golden Girls!
    The Vagtastic Voyage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"