2nd Trimester

Flat flip flops

I am due sept 29 and I really love wearing flip flops all summer and I'm worried I won't be able to this summer because I have heard its not good during pregnancy. Can anyone give me opinions or advice about this please?  I would like to buy those really cheap ones at old navy or target they always have.  Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Flat flip flops

• I've honestly never heard that.  I had my DD while we were living in Georgia in the end of January and I wore a flat pair of moccasins to the hospital. I lived in them the entire winter.  DS is due the end of July and I fully plan on wearing my cheap Old Navy flip flops all summer.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ok good then I will definitely wear them too!  I have just read that it's not safe and hurts your feet.  I live in flip flips during summer lol. 

• Loading the player...
  • I read that flats are not safe, and you need arch support, I don't know, but I'm planning on wearing them as well, unless my dr specifically says I shouldn't.  

• It is good to have to arch support because of the extra weight that you'll be carrying, However, your feet will be swollen (especially during the summer), so flip-flop away!
  • Thanks CarlySara, I will!
  • imagecontrolledchaos617:

I read that flats are not safe, and you need arch support,  

That's why you shouldn't wear them all of the time. 

When I was working & pg. with DD I had flats with kitten heels and I lived out of those things.  My feet never hurt but they sweated A LOT more than pre-pg.

• Yeah, I might buy some with a little bit of height for that reason.
  • Towards the end of my pregnancy with my son, my feet were so swollen thats all I could wear lol! 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • imageCarlySara:
    It is good to have to arch support because of the extra weight that you'll be carrying, However, your feet will be swollen (especially during the summer), so flip-flop away!

The arch support is true whether or whether not you are caring extra weight. I have knee problems and always am told by my surgeon I should wear shoes with better arch support. But like all of you, I love my Old Navy flip flops and wear them year round. I just make sure to wear shoes with good arch support when I know I'm going to be on my feet for a really long time. However, with swollen feet this summer that may not be the case even then. Ha! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • It's not so much the heel, that makes the difference.  It is the sole.  It isn't so much about the flat flip-flops, it is the soft soled flip-flops (for example: from Old Navy...which I'm not knocking...I love these!). If you are concerned about these falling arches, find a better quality flip-flop with a more solid bottom that has some arch support.
  • If you've never tried FitFlops now might be the time! I've had a few pairs over the years and they're awesome. I can walk in them all day everyday. They're not cheap, but they never wear out. The white soled ones will look really dirty though. I like my brown sparkly ones!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageCarlySara:
    It is good to have to arch support because of the extra weight that you'll be carrying, However, your feet will be swollen (especially during the summer), so flip-flop away!

This is my thinking as well. Right now, if I wear my flats or flip flops for too long, my back does start to hurt. I can see how they wouldn't be the best option, but come summer when it's hot and my feet are swollen, I'm pretty sure flip flops are the only thing I will be wearing. I do plan on buying a more expensive pair (compared to old navy's!) like the athletic ones to give me some support.

• The cheap flip flops break easily and are slippery when they're wet, plus you're more prone to falls when you're pregnant bc your center of gravity changes.  Combine that with the lack of proper support and cushioning (which you need with all that extra weight!), and that's why they aren't recommended.  Really, they aren't good for your feet and joints pregnant or not.  That's not to say I won't ever wear them, I love them for the beach, but I definitely invest in higher quality sandals(Merrells, Born, etc) for everyday wear.  Sometimes you can find them at Ross/TJMaxx/Marshalls.
    BFP #1: m/c at 8 weeks; BFP #2: DD born 6/9/09; BFP #3 m/c at 5 weeks; BFP #4 m/c at 8 weeks, D&E; BFP #5 DS born 8/12/12
  • I live in my flip flops!!!!!!! So easy to wear especially when pregnant!

• I agree with previous posts. I will be wearing them all summer as well. Toward the end of pregnancy I think your feet will hurt regardless of what kind of shoes you have on.
  • I have really high arches and find flat flip flops really uncomfortable.  Reef flip flops have some arch support and they are the only kind I buy now.
  • DS was born in August and I wore my flip flops the whole summer. I plan to do the same with this August baby.
    DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • imagekdm06c:
    Towards the end of my pregnancy with my son, my feet were so swollen thats all I could wear lol! 

LOL me to and my daughter was born in January in Michigan! lol we have the worst winters. People just looked at me like i was crazy!

• I was just at the doctor and was wearing flip flops. She asked me how they were working out and I said fine although I can tell it is not good for my back and posture. She highly recommended NOT wearing flip flops at all. She said it can cause flat-footedness and they are not always the safest to wear, especially during pregnancy since our balance is off with our growing belly.

I try to wear tennis shoes most of the time, but with being due at the beginning of July, I don't know if I could go all summer without wearing flip flops. They are my favorite! 

• I plan on rocking the Old Navy flip-flops this summer. They're cheap and comfy. If you do, however, want a little more support and cushion, Sketchers makes a great pair. I think Kohl's carries them.

Also, ask yourself honestly how much standing/walking you'll be doing when you're that far along and if it's worth it to spend $ on the pricier shoes. I know that when June/July rolls around for me, I plan on spending a lot of time on my butt.

Bravado Bras at Nurtured FamilyBabyFruit Tickerimageimage
  • I got some great ones from margaritaville that provide some support. They aren't as cheap as old navy ones but oh how I love the sole and the design. I couldn't live without my flip flops!!!!
  • In general they're not great, but either are a lot of things that women shove their feet into! Flip flops are the only things I wear that fit into the category of not so great, though. Never worn anything with a heel in my life. My left ankle basically sprains itself if I look at it wrong so I have to be careful.

I have very high arches, but I have a pair of basic Teva flip flops and they are like heaven on my feet. They're SO soft and they just mold to my feet. I will most likely wear them all summer unless I start feeling pain.

Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • I've never heard of flip flops being unsafe to wear during pregnancy either.  The arch issues make sense, but for me I have nearly completely flat feet and find most shoes uncomfortable to wear for any extended period of time.  I'm barefoot as often as possible and wear flip flops as often as I can.  Just today someone recommended I check out skeletoes shoes (even tho those are the new Crocs IMO) because they felt the closest to being barefoot for them.

I'd really like to get my hands (or, "feet", as it were) on a pair of Swiss Protection Socks.  They're shoe / socks made with a layer of kevlar and PVC laminate.

• I live in flip flops during the warmer months. DH always laughs at me since I bust them out pretty much as soon as the snow melts :) That being said, i've been having a tremendous amount of back pain/issues already in the pregnancy & couldn't seem to wear my usual ones for any extended amount of time walking OR standing (tennis shoes, no problem). I bought a pair of Nike comfort fit flip flops a couple of weeks ago & it's unreal how much of a difference they make!! They have a memory foam sole and are just amazing. I can wear these out all day and not be looking for places to sit every 20 min. I highly recommend them!! And they have different colors too :) A bit pricier than the $3 or whatever ones at ON but well worth the $$ to me. I found them on sale for $25 but honestly would have paid more.
  • luvlss1- where did you get the Nike flip flops? 
  • I found my size at Kohl's but they have them at Shopko & Foot locker as well. Of course you can also order online but I like to at least try them on first! I wear a 7 1/2 so went with the 8 as they only come in full sizes. The 7's were just a tad too small. Just an fyi on sizing :)
  • Ok great thanks. I'm a size 10 so I guess I would just stay with a 10, but I definitely need to try them on first as well.  I saw a pair online at target called c9 by champion lona cushion fit thong sandal and I am wondering if they are the same kind your talking about because they are cheaper, and I really don't want to spend 25 or more on flip flops. If you could maybe you can look those up and let me know if they are similar to yours.  Thanks :-) 

• I know, i'm not usually one to spend that much on flops but it was well worth it. Plus I figure I won't really buy anything else this summer in the way of shoes, so it's a wash :) I looked at the ones you mentioned & they do look like they're the same general idea. The Nike ones seem to have way more cushion but that's just what I can see in the photos. I would def say try them both on if you can. For a $7-10 difference, I would want to make sure i'm happy with what i'm getting. Here's a link for the Nike ones. GL deciding and hope you enjoy them (whichever ones you get :))!

https://www.zappos.com/nike-comfort-thong-black-white

btw, just saw the Nike flips in Shopko's flyer today for $20!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"