1st Trimester

Depressing thoughts on becoming a family of four

When I got pregnant with DD, my pregnancy was the center of my universe (Not really, but I focused on it enough to drop three grad school classes). Since having DD I always wondered, "Will I take this many pictures of a second child?" or "Will I feel the same excitement about the next child when he or she does X,Y, & Z?" and "Will I be able to devote my un-divided attention to the new baby?"

Sadly, the answer is already no. Don't get me wrong, I am BEYOND excited about being pregnant and having a new addition to our family, but it's not the same. Maybe it's because I have a toddler who consumes all of my time during the day, but I feel so terrible about not giving them both the same attention. The new baby will not consume my day. The new baby will not get two years worth of cute singleton pictures. The new baby will not be as exciting because I've been there, done that. Please don't think that I don't love this child, because that is FAR from the truth.

I'm just sad about not being able to give this baby the same attention I gave DD. 
I know that this may seem fairly trivial because I'll be so busy once the baby gets here that I won't have time to even notice, but it makes me sad now. Has anyone else felt this way?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Our first family photo!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Depressing thoughts on becoming a family of four

• That's COMPLETELY normal to feel that way. I felt the same exact way when I was pregnant with my second.  I can tell you that I have definitely given the same amount of love to both of my children, and I've actually taken more pictures of my second than I did with my first.  You'll do fine and it will come completely natural once you're a family of four.  Try not to stress about it.  You'll be surprised how natural it will feel.  I look back now, and I can't imagine it being any other way.  Best of luck to you and your family!  :)
  • I was just thinking about this. I have a million and one pictures of everything Grant did but there is no way I will do the same the next time. I can already tell I haven't thought about this pregnancy the same just because I'm busy chasing a toddler. But the new baby will have the advantage of having a sibling his/her whole life. From birth he/she will have a playmate and that's really exciting. So that's what I try to think about.

• Loading the player...
  • Totally normal.  I've talked to my mom and she had the same fears when my sister came.  I'm feeling the same thing now.  But figure there are how many well adjusted  second + children out there :)  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Start by trying to include your toddler with the pregnancy.  It will allow you to focus on the baby and the new older sibling to also be apart of it.  I know what you mean about not focusing on the baby, but it will be good for both kids.  Your older child will get used to having to share and not be the center of attention and the younger one, the same.  You just plan ahead to say that you are going to have special time with each child so that they still feel special, but they do not need to have your undivided attention all day long.  Plus, they will also gain that special bond with each other, that they would not have had if you did not decide to have another baby.  I am the youngest of six (my husband is also one of six) and even though we fought with our siblings, if anyone outside the family would fight with us they would immediately turn forces against them.  It was like your own private army...lol!  Anyway, I feel that siblings have a special bond that you can not get from anyone else, so think of it as giving your children something special instead of taking something away from them.
    Irish Mama Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You are not alone, I totally feel the same way.  I think it's normal though.  Try not to over analyse.  My hubby told me just to remember how I felt with our son when I was pg with him and when he arrived.  It will all come back to you.  That is what I have been doing.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In my experience, the pregnancy is not nearly as exciting but once baby gets here, it's just as wonderful as the first time. And just wait until you see your kids hugging; your heart will melt!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I read this a while back, and I just read it again because I've been feeling similar to what you wrote. I love this:

Loving Two

I walk along holding your 2-year-old hand, basking in the glow of our magical relationship. Suddenly I feel a kick from within, as if to remind me that our time alone is limited. And I wonder: how could I ever love another child as I love you?

Then he is born, and I watch you. I watch the pain you feel at having to share me as you?ve never shared me before.

I hear you telling me in your own way, ?Please love only me?. And I hear myself telling you in mine, ?I can?t?, knowing, in fact, that I never can again.

You cry. I cry with you. I almost see our new baby as an intruder on the precious relationship we once shared. A relationship we can never quite have again.

But then, barely noticing, I find myself attached to that new being, and feeling almost guilty. I?m afraid to let you see me enjoying him, as though I am betraying you.

But then I notice your resentment change, first to curiosity, then to protectiveness, finally to genuine affection.

More days pass, and we are settling into a new routine. The memory of days with just the two of us is fading fast.

But something else is replacing those wonderful times we shared, just we two. There are new times ? only now, we are three. I watch the love between you grow, the way you look at each other, touch each other.

I watch how he adores you ? as I have for so long. I see how excited you are by each of his new accomplishments. And I begin to realize that I haven?t taken something from you, I?ve given something to you. I notice that I am no longer afraid to share my love openly with both of you.

I find that my love for each of you is as different as you are, but equally strong. And my question is finally answered, to my amazement. Yes, I can love another child as much as I love you ? only differently.

And although I realize that you may have to share my time, I now know you?ll never share my love. There?s enough of that for both of you ? you each have your own supply.

I love you ? both. And I thank you both for blessing my life.
    Author Unknown

A woman's life is nine parts mess to one part magic, you'll learn that soon enough...and the parts that look like magic turn out to be the messiest of all.
  • I have been feeling the same way and am now crying like a baby after reading the last post.  I know that I've been told that your love just multiplies but I can't help feeling so guilty.  I look at my daughter and wonder if I've done everything I want to do in our "just us" relationship and how she is going to feel.  However, I do think about how exciting it will be when I watch her with her new little brother or sister and the relationship they will create.  
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've wondered the same thing. For the past 4.5 years my son has been an only child getting ALL of our attention and care from us (not to mention several sets of grand parents). I do wonder how things will be different for the 2nd child. I hope i will have the same energy and enthusiasm for baby #2.

I think this is a natural fear, so i think when the baby comes we will wonder why we were ever worried in the first place Smile 

EDITEDEVERLYBEAUTYSHOT565923_751707052852_1602485043_n_zps74c305a1 photo EDITEDEVERLYBEAUTYSHOT565923_751707052852_1602485043_n_zps74c305a1-1_zps6c64b4ff.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I felt this way also, back in Sept/Oct when we found out we were pregnant, then miscarried.  Because that pregnancy was not at all planned, I was unsure, terrified, worried they would be WAY too close in age (25 mos), etc.  Once I miscarried though, I knew I wanted a 2nd so badly, to take away our pain, for her to play with, have as a best friend and someone to lean on someday when DH and I are gone from this earth, etc.  So this pregnancy, I haven't really felt those fears, because I just want this baby so badly, and am so focused on making sure I'm doing all the right things in this pregnancy...  I already feel connected, which is weird b/c I never did with DD.  So in a way, I guess I do feel guilty b/c so much of my thinking is about this new baby, and what we need to do to prepare, what I can do to ensure everything goes right, taking care of myself, etc.  But I do have alot of friends who say what you are feeling is so normal, and it will probably hit me later in pregnancy or once #2 is here :)
    Chemical Pregnancy 5.2011. BFP 9.2011 MC @ 8.5w D&C 11.4.2011 sweet pea is always in our hearts. BFP 3.23.2012! Our baby turkey is due 11.22.2012! Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I guess I can see why you'd think that, but to say "I won't do/feel x,y,z about this baby" is silly. You don't know how you'll feel, just like I doubt you had any idea what it would truly feel like to be a mother until you held your 1st baby in your arms.

No my 2nd pregnancy wasn't as new and exciting as the first, but who gives a crap it's pregnancy not motherhood.

I loved my daughter with the same intensity as I loved my son from the moment she was born. I have twice as many pictures of her as I do him in his first year because she is lucky enough to have pictures of all her milestones plus ones with her big brother.

No it's not easy at first and you won't be able to give your 1st the same amount of attention, but you are giving them a sibling to share all their experiences with. My kids are so close and play together so well.

All I'm saying is stop saying what you won't do, and think about all the things that you can do with two instead of one.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagecassie.dall:

I read this a while back, and I just read it again because I've been feeling similar to what you wrote. I love this:

Loving Two

I walk along holding your 2-year-old hand, basking in the glow of our magical relationship. Suddenly I feel a kick from within, as if to remind me that our time alone is limited. And I wonder: how could I ever love another child as I love you?

Then he is born, and I watch you. I watch the pain you feel at having to share me as you?ve never shared me before.

I hear you telling me in your own way, ?Please love only me?. And I hear myself telling you in mine, ?I can?t?, knowing, in fact, that I never can again.

You cry. I cry with you. I almost see our new baby as an intruder on the precious relationship we once shared. A relationship we can never quite have again.

But then, barely noticing, I find myself attached to that new being, and feeling almost guilty. I?m afraid to let you see me enjoying him, as though I am betraying you.

But then I notice your resentment change, first to curiosity, then to protectiveness, finally to genuine affection.

More days pass, and we are settling into a new routine. The memory of days with just the two of us is fading fast.

But something else is replacing those wonderful times we shared, just we two. There are new times ? only now, we are three. I watch the love between you grow, the way you look at each other, touch each other.

I watch how he adores you ? as I have for so long. I see how excited you are by each of his new accomplishments. And I begin to realize that I haven?t taken something from you, I?ve given something to you. I notice that I am no longer afraid to share my love openly with both of you.

I find that my love for each of you is as different as you are, but equally strong. And my question is finally answered, to my amazement. Yes, I can love another child as much as I love you ? only differently.

And although I realize that you may have to share my time, I now know you?ll never share my love. There?s enough of that for both of you ? you each have your own supply.

Author Unknown

I didn't even make it through the first paragraph before I began bawling. Thank you for sharing this!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSamiandEric913:
    imagecassie.dall:

I read this a while back, and I just read it again because I've been feeling similar to what you wrote. I love this:

Loving Two

Author Unknown

I didn't even make it through the first paragraph before I began bawling. Thank you for sharing this!

Yeah, I can't read it without crying either, and I've read it a bunch of times haha. Also, I just wanna say, my mom had 5 kids, and none of us ever felt like we didn't get enough love or attention. I think you get more love to spread around, rather than having to divide your love between your kids.

A woman's life is nine parts mess to one part magic, you'll learn that soon enough...and the parts that look like magic turn out to be the messiest of all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"