Nurseries and Baby Gear

Cat + Crib. How to stop?

Re: Cat + Crib. How to stop?

• Crib tent!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • put a baby in it :)

seriously - my cats lived in the nursery until the day the baby was born, now they never go in there unless I'm in there, they're too scared of her. And we keep the door shut if she's in there alone, so they really don't have an opportunity to be in her crib with her.

if it's the hair you're worried about, you'll probably have to get over it. Your baby is going to be laying on your bed, your couch, your floor, most surfaces of your home. No bubble is going to keep them from getting a cat hair or two in their mouth :)

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I second the crib tent.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Get rid of the cat? Just joking. How about closing the door?
  • imageCarlaAndJames:

put a baby in it :)

seriously - my cats lived in the nursery until the day the baby was born, now they never go in there unless I'm in there, they're too scared of her. And we keep the door shut if she's in there alone, so they really don't have an opportunity to be in her crib with her.

if it's the hair you're worried about, you'll probably have to get over it. Your baby is going to be laying on your bed, your couch, your floor, most surfaces of your home. No bubble is going to keep them from getting a cat hair or two in their mouth :)

This! My cat was all over DD's nursery before she was born. After she arrived, the cat pretty much stayed away. I wouldn't worry about it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for all the suggestions ladies.

I'm not too worried about cat hair getting in; it's gonna happen with cats.

We keep the door closed for the most part now but I'm not going to once the girls are here for air circulation, etc.

I will definitely keep the crib tent idea on-hand, but will see if the girls themselves are enough of a deterrent to the fur balls.

Cheers. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My cat claimed the crib as his bed once it was set up. :(  I bought one of the motion activated compressed air sprayers (Sccat brand) and put it in the crib so as soon as he jumped in, he would get a blast of air.

Only did it once and he hasn't near the crib since then. The changing table however...perfect cat bed. LOL

• imagekatelynb83:

My cat claimed the crib as his bed once it was set up. :(  I bought one of the motion activated compressed air sprayers (Sccat brand) and put it in the crib so as soon as he jumped in, he would get a blast of air.

Only did it once and he hasn't near the crib since then. The changing table however...perfect cat bed. LOL

Our cats love the changing pad too.  I might have to keep it for them when the baby outgrows it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

• I keep DD's door closed to keep the animals out, but as soon as it opens they all RUSH in. My cat prefers to be underneath the crib which isn't too big of a deal.

I love the nursery, very pretty!
  • I love that nursery too.  Gonna be similar to ours.  What dresser/table is that?
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageCarlaAndJames:

I wish that worked for us.  So far on 3 seperate occasions we have found the cat in the baby's crib, curled up at his feet.  We were also sure that as soon as the baby was there, the cat wouldn't go anwhere near it.  WRONG!  We just keep the door closed now, even then, the cat has snuck in. 

photo IMG_2317_zpsa2789747.jpg
  • imageCabbageCabbage:
    Put something "scary" on the rail like baking sheets. It will make noise or fall when the cat jumps up. Scare the kitty a couple times and you'll have a kitty free crib. 

Exactly. My cat has always loved sneaking in the crib, but once a baby occupied it, she wanted nothing to do with it. I also did tin foil in the crib, and had a can of pennies I shook when she went in the room.

• imageCarlaAndJames:

This!!! My cats did the same thing...jumped in all the time until we brought the baby home. 

image"Lilypie">imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagemrsshawnavanb:
    I keep DD's door closed to keep the animals out, but as soon as it opens they all RUSH in. My cat prefers to be underneath the crib which isn't too big of a deal.

I love the nursery, very pretty!

Our dog and two cats do the same thing...no matter where they are in the house, when they hear someone open the door to the baby's room, they all come running!

• Lurking...

When I wanted to keep my cats off of my counter, I put down duct tape, sticky side up, and stuck it to the counter.  The cats would jump on the counter and get stuck.  After a while, they stopped getting it on the counter because they associated it with tape.  

"To be able to practice five things everywhere under heaven constitutes perfect virtue...gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness."
  • I use this product on surfaces we don't want the cats:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RIA95G?ie=UTF8&hvnetw=g&tag=googhydr-20&hvpone=&hvexid=&hvadid=4321363185&ref=pd_sl_958jq9mpy2_e&hvpos=1t2&hvrand=2120553758717316967&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e

It works wonders.  It has a motion sensor and sprays air, LOUDLY.  Obviously you won't want to use this when the baby is in the crib, but at that point I don't think you will need to anyway. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Water gun and soak him/her...it worked for our cats and the counters, as well as playing with/attacking our feet when they were kittens.
  • Gorgeous nursery! We laid down aluminum foil across the mattress and it's been keeping the cats out of the crib. They hate the feel of the foil. Hopefully they will be fully conditioned to keep away once baby comes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"