Babies: 0 - 3 Months

nighttime (bed time) routine

I have been trying for the last 2 weeks to establish a bed time routine with my DS. It consists of bathing, pjs, swaddling, nursing with white noise, rocking him and then into his cradle. He fights me a little bit some nights, but for the most part falls asleep. The entire routine takes me about an hour or a little longer. After all of that effort my DS only sleeps for maybe 1.5-2.5 hours. Then he is up and down for the rest of the night. During the day I just let him nap whenever he gets tired. He will nap for 2-3 hours at a time, nurse, and then fall back to sleep for another few hours. I do not turn on white noise for him or even worry about the "household noises" around him. The only thing I do the same as his nighttime routine is swaddle him. So, I am wondering should I just let my DS fall asleep at night when ever he is tired and not push a bed time routine right now? It does not seem that a nighttime routine is encouraging him to sleep any longer. Do you have a set routine with your LO or are you just letting him fall asleep at night when he/she is ready? I usually start my routine at 8:00 pm and by 11:00 is up again (and never really ever falls back to sleep). 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: nighttime (bed time) routine

• At less than a month old, a routine is almost impossible to establish.  
  • We've always followed DS's lead when it comes to his schedule. When he was 4 weeks he was usually going to sleep between 9-10pm & sleeping 3-4 hour stretches at night.

Now at 11 weeks he goes to sleep around 8-9pm sleeps 5-6 hour stretches at a time.

An we may be different from others but we don't really have a complex routine. We just feed, burp & snuggle, he usually falls asleep without a problem. 

• Loading the player...
  • Tonight my DH and I are trying something different. I am not going to lock myself away in the nursery for an hour with our normal routine. I just swaddled, nursed, burped, and then placed our DS in the RnP. I did it all in the living room where he usually takes a nap. It was nice to have it all done in about 25-30 minutes with the company of my DH. I feel like a lot of nights my DH and I do not get to spend any time together because I am in the nursery trying to get our DS asleep and then heading off to bed shortly after that.
  • I started a routine similar to yours at 5 weeks and DS would wake every 3 hours to feed and go right back to sleep. At around 8 weeks he dropped 1 feeding so he was sleeping 5-6 hours and then another 2-3. At 10 weeks he now sleeps about 9-10 hours without waking up.

I probably started the routine a bit too early but it made me feel like I was doing something so I stuck with it. He's mostly STTN now so I guess it wasn't completely useless.  

• We have started a bedtime routine with all of our LOs from the very beginning, so I do believe in doing the routine, but it certainly doesn't need to be an hour long process. A simple bath time, swaddle and feeding is all we're doing for DS right now. With DD#1 I think I did bath time, swaddle, and a book while we rocked.
    Mom to DD#1 December '06, DD#2 Feb '09 and DS March '12
  • imageericaanne0720:
    Tonight my DH and I are trying something different. I am not going to lock myself away in the nursery for an hour with our normal routine. I just swaddled, nursed, burped, and then placed our DS in the RnP. I did it all in the living room where he usually takes a nap. It was nice to have it all done in about 25-30 minutes with the company of my DH. I feel like a lot of nights my DH and I do not get to spend any time together because I am in the nursery trying to get our DS asleep and then heading off to bed shortly after that.

This is exactly what I do.  I usually feed him about 9:00 while we watch TV...he falls asleep eating and I put him to bed. I don't  do any long, drawn out routine at this point. Some nights he gets a bath..some times he goes 2 or 3 days without one. It really just depends on his mood and what I'm doing /need to get done around the house v

• Our bedtime routine is very similar to the one you were doing.  Our LO is 5 weeks old and for the past week or two I've fed him, DH and I bathe LO together, swaddle the LO and DH puts him to sleep.  Which is usually a little rocking before putting him in his crib slightly awake.  LO wakes up about 3-4 hours later and DH gives him an expressed bottle.  I don't know at this point if the routine is helping LO, but it's helping me.  I like the routine - and it gives me a bit of a break while allowing DH & LO some QT.  I think that overtime LO will take to the rhythm of our evenings and appreciate knowing what to expect.  Also, I think the routine is establishing the bookends for his day/night.  Which I've read can help them differentiate their days and nights.  Maybe instead of doing the routine solo ask DH to help you out with it??
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"