July 2012 Moms

to stock up or not to stock up

that is the question!  I've been told by numerous people, "buy your formula and diapers now!!  Watch for coupons!  Buy them on sale!"  Anyone else doing this?  It seems a bit premature since 1) I'm assuming I'll get at least some diapers at the showers and 2) if the kid doesn't like them, then what do I do?  Save the receipts and take them back?

What are you all doing?  Are you stocking up on anything?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: to stock up or not to stock up

• We plan to stock up on one pack of diapers in a couple of different sizes right away if there are any deals. Figured I'll want to test drive a few brands anyway. Then once we figure out what works best, we can stick to that. But we might also buy more, closer to my due date if there are really attractive deals out there, so there is always the option of returning them if that particular brand proves to be unpopular.
  • i have been told that Walmart will exchange diaper sizes, so if that's the concern, I wouldn't worry too much
    "Parenting is a constant struggle between making your kid's live better and ruining your own." Willie Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty'
    Anniversary IMAG1763 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Diapers = yes I am stocking up...have four boxes of NB now and next sale I see I will get size 1...can never have too many.  I am not worried if she doesn't like them cause I can always list them on craigslist.

Formula = no I am not stocking up as I hope to BF.  However if you are using formula, make sure the expiration date is well past your delivery date and you watch for any type of recalls.

• I wouldn't stock up on formula because you never know what your baby will tolerate/like.  I imagine diapers might be a similar issue in terms of fitting right.  Plus, if you have a big baby, you won't use those newborn size diapers very long.  

I'm hoping to BF and will be cloth diapering so not stocking up on any formula or disposables at all.  I'll use what the hospital gives us to get through meconium poop stage then will start with our prefolds and covers.  So I guess I'm stocking up on my CD stash, which is nearly complete.  Formula I may take home with us if the hospital gives it to us and keep in the garage as emergency use.  However, the place I'm delivering at tends to not hand out formula unless parents ask for it since they try to get moms to BF if they have any interest in it at all.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are stocking up on diapers. I am just careful to keep separate receipts with those purchases so there shouldn't be an issue if we have to return due to size or a reaction to a brand. For now, we are also sticking with brand name diapers (Pampers) because I think there is less of a chance baby will have an issue with them. Once baby gets here and we exhaust our supply we'll probably experiment with different (cheaper) brands. My first two used White Cloud (Walmart) diapers & we never had an issue with them, but they no longer sell that brand. I heard Sam's Club and Target are good brands, but we'll wait and see. I haven't had to buy diapers in 5 years.

I am planning to BF so no plans to stock up on formula. If you do plan to buy a can or two I would check to see what your hospital uses those first few days so baby doesn't have to adjust to a new formula at home -- or if you want to use a particular brand plan to take that with to the hospital so s/he is using it from the start.

Pregnancy Ticker image
  • I think a great alternative is to stock up on Gift Cards to purchase your diapers (eta* and formula) later on down the road.
  • We aren't...but only because my husband's parents are... :)
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't stock up on that kind of stuff too much.  You never know what diapers will work for your baby.  We tried huggies at a few different sizes and every single time we had leaks.  Pampers never leaked for us.  LUVS were so-so.  I have a friend who is completely opposite, they swear by Huggies and Generic.  So you just never know.  Unless you are getting the diapers free or close to free I would hold off.  I also know that my hospital has pampers newborn and I took home 3 packs that were in our room.  I was later told by my friend that I could have even asked for an extra pack or two and the nurse most likely would have said sure!
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I love coupons and sales so stockpiling is totally my thing. I haven't stocked up on formula because I am in denial that I will need it (I am hoping to breastfeed only). But I have started stocking up on diapers. I have a variety of brands and sizes. I refuse to buy newborn sizes though because if my friends and family bring some to my shower chances are that is the size they will buy. So instead I have bought sizes 2, 3, and 4. I figured if LO has trouble with a certain brand at least I have a variety and the ones he can't use will be donated and since I didn't spend much $ on them anyways because I coupon I won't feel like I took a total loss by just giving them away. I don't think I have spent over $5 a pack so far.
    image image
  • We have a stock going on:

Diapers

Wipes

Baby Soap

Powder

pacifiers

Dreft

and Baby lotion

this is our second child so we know we already like pretty much.......it will help out i think!

• imageinHindsight:
    I think a great alternative is to stock up on Gift Cards to purchase your diapers (eta* and formula) later on down the road.
    This was the best advice I was given with DD. As others have said, you won't know what will work best for you until after the baby comes
  • imagecaralck:

I'm hoping to BF and will be cloth diapering so not stocking up on any formula or disposables at all.  I'll use what the hospital gives us to get through meconium poop stage then will start with our prefolds and covers.  So I guess I'm stocking up on my CD stash, which is nearly complete.  

I'm hoping for the same two things but I have no cloth diapers yet -- good for you being almost done with your stash! I'll catch up one of these days, but right now it still seems overwhelming to me. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

July 3rd, 2012 ~ Hang in there sweetheart, we can't wait to meet you!

• I plan to start buying diapers, wipes, lotions, etc soon but not formula or anything like that.
  • If you stock up, keep the items in their boxes and try to save receipts. DS1 ended up having severe reactions to disposable diapers (bleeding burn like rashes) so we had to switch to cloth when he was only a few weeks old. He also has a milk & soy allergy so if we had used formula, we wouldn't have been able to use any of the milk or soy based ones. We obviously weren't expecting either of these things to happen and had opened quite a few of the diapers to put in various places. The unopened ones we were able to return to Walmart and Baby Depot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"