TTC After a Loss

GTKY: How did DH/FI/SO pop the question?

Since wedding season is around the corner, how did DH/FI/SO pop the question?  Or did you have to take the reigns on this one?

My DH loves to push my buttons!  The night he proposed, we were at our usual bar.  He knew that asking my father for my hand in marriage was extremely important to me, so he acted like it was a burden.  Turns out he asked my father 2 weeks before.  On the way home, while I was driving, he continued to push my buttons by asking the dumbest questions (ie. Do I have to get on one knee?).  He was making me think that when he proposed, it would be the most unromantic event ever!  When we got home, I thought he went to our bedroom to get changed, but in fact he had my ring hidden in his desk in our home office.  While I was watching the news, still pissed off, he got down on one knee & proposed!  I made him sweat by saying, "did you ask my father first?" before saying yes.  May not have been the most romantic proposal, but we're only three months away from our 1st anniversary!

ETA: We were dating for 4 years when he proposed.  I think I even told him that if we weren't getting married, then we needed to start working on getting pregnant!

BFP#1: 10/29/11 EDD: 7/14/12 MMC: 12/28/11 BFP#2: 5/17/12 EDD: 1/27/13 Trevor was born on 1/21/13! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo 8e4774ee-d2a4-4dd5-9180-492d059e568e_zpsb44e90d8.jpg

Re: GTKY: How did DH/FI/SO pop the question?

• DH proposed to me on Christmas Eve.  A few months after we met, we went on a mini vacay to the Jersey Shore with some of my friends.  One night, we were sitting out on the beach and saw a shooting stare (the first one I had ever seen).  Anyway, after we got home from church on Christmas Eve, he told me that he bought a special ornament and put in on the tree for us.  I searched for a few minutes and found a beautiful shooting star ornament.  It took me a minute to realize that my ring was tied to the ornament.  I turned around, and he was on one knee!

Later he told me that he had asked my father a few weeks prior.  Our family went on a ski trip.  He had asked him some time during that long weekend.  I was so surprised!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• imageMom2anAngel2:

DH proposed to me on Christmas Eve.  A few months after we met, we went on a mini vacay to the Jersey Shore with some of my friends.  One night, we were sitting out on the beach and saw a shooting stare (the first one I had ever seen).  Anyway, after we got home from church on Christmas Eve, he told me that he bought a special ornament and put in on the tree for us.  I searched for a few minutes and found a beautiful shooting star ornament.  It took me a minute to realize that my ring was tied to the ornament.  I turned around, and he was on one knee!

Later he told me that he had asked my father a few weeks prior.  Our family went on a ski trip.  He had asked him some time during that long weekend.  I was so surprised!

That's awesome!  What shore point did you go to?  I live near Point Pleasant.  We're originally from Philly, but have been in NJ for almost 4 years.

BFP#1: 10/29/11 EDD: 7/14/12 MMC: 12/28/11 BFP#2: 5/17/12 EDD: 1/27/13 Trevor was born on 1/21/13! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo 8e4774ee-d2a4-4dd5-9180-492d059e568e_zpsb44e90d8.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • We were at Disney for a week's vacation. It rained every night so he never popped the question until the very morning we left. It was 7 AM, we were lugging our suitcases to catch the airport shuttle at the resort. He stopped, rummaged in his suitcase and while I was watching these hot air ballons going up in the distance, he showed me the ring.  It was a good thing he took it out of that suitcase because the airline lost his luggage for a few days.
    DS born 2009
    BFP#2 ~ 8/2/11, EDD 4/11/12, D&C 9/12/11 at 9w5d
    BFP#3 ~ 4/15/12, EDD 12/21/12 ~ DD born 12/22/12
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  •  I moved 5 hours away from my family for a job that I ended up despising. I met DH, though, so I stuck around. After we'd been dating for nearly 3 years, I really started to push for a proposal. I finally said, "If you're not sure you want to spend the rest of your life with me, I'm done wasting time in Cleveland." 

About a month after I said that, we were sitting on the couch watching something stupid on TV, and DH said, "Wanna get married?" I totally thought he was kidding, so I said, "Oh, please. I know all your whereabouts. You haven't bought a ring."

He walked over to the TV stand, pulled the ring out of a drawer, got down on one knee, and said, "No, for real. I don't know what I was waiting for. Will you marry me?" I was so excited that I didn't even wait for him to put the ring on my finger; I snatched it out of his hand and put it on myself.

Totally not romantic. Stick out tongue 

It was a rough road, but Arlo Daniel was born April 1, 2013—and our second rainbow is due October 12, 2014.
  • imagemelly918:
    We were at Disney for a week's vacation. It rained every night so he never popped the question until the very morning we left. It was 7 AM, we were lugging our suitcases to catch the airport shuttle at the resort. He stopped, rummaged in his suitcase and while I was watching these hot air ballons going up in the distance, he showed me the ring.  It was a good thing he took it out of that suitcase because the airline lost his luggage for a few days.

That's too bad that it rained every nght.  It would have been perfect to propose during the fireworks at the end of the night!  Good thing he pulled that ring out of his suitcase!

• imageedinger3:
    imageMom2anAngel2:

DH proposed to me on Christmas Eve.  A few months after we met, we went on a mini vacay to the Jersey Shore with some of my friends.  One night, we were sitting out on the beach and saw a shooting stare (the first one I had ever seen).  Anyway, after we got home from church on Christmas Eve, he told me that he bought a special ornament and put in on the tree for us.  I searched for a few minutes and found a beautiful shooting star ornament.  It took me a minute to realize that my ring was tied to the ornament.  I turned around, and he was on one knee!

That's awesome!  What shore point did you go to?  I live near Point Pleasant.  We're originally from Philly, but have been in NJ for almost 4 years.

We were on LBI, but I do not remember which section we were in that year.  I am originally from NJ and grew up going to the Jersey Shore.  Even though I live in MA now, I still go down there, the water up here is just too cold and the waves are aweful!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• The night we got engaged we went to a Broadway play. When we were leaving there were a bunch of horse and buggies outside and I hired one to take us to the Empire State Building. It was my idea to do and all I kept thinking was wow the only thing that could make the night more perfect was if we got engaged. We went to the top of the Empire State Building and while looking out over the city at night I heard someone yell, "That guys proposing". I was actually so jealous and when I turned to look at where they were yelling DH was down on one knee. I was in shock. It took him 7 years. But it was the perfect proposal.

"If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again." Anniversary Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFruit Ticker Stick Baby Stick!
  • imageJRomeH:
    imageedinger3:
    imageMom2anAngel2:

Point Pleasant is great!  We love Sandy Hook, it's closest to us, and try to go weekly in the summer. I was born and raised outside of Philly and have been in NJ 4.5 years!  

Unfortunately, i don't have a fun story, as I was never proposed to.  DH and I decided to get married while he was out of state training for a military deployment, and I was expecting DD. He came home on a 96 hour leave and we were married.  Not romantic, but here we are approaching our 6th anniversary this summer.

Where outside of Philly?  I grew up in Northeast Philly, but my parents live in Bensalem.

• I love these stories :)

My DH is terrible at pulling off surprises and I am a complete super sleuth, so together he doesn't stand a chance.  It was the night before our 1 year anniversary.  We had reservations the next night out at a really nice restaurant and I knew for sure that was the night he was going to propose.  

Well we got home from a very casual dinner out and I was looking at the box of presents he'd had out on the table for the last few days.  We were planning on exchanging anniversary gifts the next night after our big anniversary dinner.  I said to him "let's cheat and open them now!"  and he said "Now??!!"  and I said, "Yeah, why not?!".  Tonight presents, tomorrow dinner.  And he said ok, just hold on a minute and he disappeared to the bathroom for a few minutes. 

He came out and we sat down together on the couch and I began unwrapping.  In the really big box was a cheap pair of headphones on top of a bunch of styrofoam peanuts and I looked at him really confused and he said, "Oh, didn't you need a pair?".  And then he quickly said, there's one more thing.  And I shuffled the peanuts aside and there was "THE BOX".  I knew immediately and I looked up at him and I said "Now??!!" and he said "Yeah, why not?!" as he grabbed the box, opened it and got down on his knee.  And I said again, "Right now?!"  In my mind I was was sure it was going to be the next day so I was just so caught off guard.  Here's the cute part.... he had he ring opened and he was on his knee and he was just looking at me and I was just waiting.  He was so nervous he'd lost all his words.  I wasn't going to let him off that easy, so I sweetly said, "well... do you have something to ask me?"  and then he teared up a little and popped the question and the rest was history.

We laughed afterwards how he needed 3 minutes in the bathroom to compose himself because he WAS going to do it the next night after our nice anniversary dinner, but since I asked to open the presents early, he just went with it but needed to catch his breath first!  haha...poor guy!

He had also told my parents and asked my Dad permission too.  So they all knew it would be happening the next night.  When I called one day early to say "We're engaged!", my mom said "Already?!"  haha too funny!

(sorry this got long... I'm too detailed!)     

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesmcjmk09:

I love these stories :)

My DH is terrible at pulling off surprises and I am a complete super sleuth, so together he doesn't stand a chance.  It was the night before our 1 year anniversary.  We had reservations the next night out at a really nice restaurant and I knew for sure that was the night he was going to propose.  

Well we got home from a very casual dinner out and I was looking at the box of presents he'd had out on the table for the last few days.  We were planning on exchanging anniversary gifts the next night after our big anniversary dinner.  I said to him "let's cheat and open them now!"  and he said "Now??!!"  and I said, "Yeah, why not?!".  Tonight presents, tomorrow dinner.  And he said ok, just hold on a minute and he disappeared to the bathroom for a few minutes. 

He came out and we sat down together on the couch and I began unwrapping.  In the really big box was a cheap pair of headphones on top of a bunch of styrofoam peanuts and I looked at him really confused and he said, "Oh, didn't you need a pair?".  And then he quickly said, there's one more thing.  And I shuffled the peanuts aside and there was "THE BOX".  I knew immediately and I looked up at him and I said "Now??!!" and he said "Yeah, why not?!" as he grabbed the box, opened it and got down on his knee.  And I said again, "Right now?!"  In my mind I was was sure it was going to be the next day so I was just so caught off guard.  Here's the cute part.... he had he ring opened and he was on his knee and he was just looking at me and I was just waiting.  He was so nervous he'd lost all his words.  I wasn't going to let him off that easy, so I sweetly said, "well... do you have something to ask me?"  and then he teared up a little and popped the question and the rest was history.

We laughed afterwards how he needed 3 minutes in the bathroom to compose himself because he WAS going to do it the next night after our nice anniversary dinner, but since I asked to open the presents early, he just went with it but needed to catch his breath first!  haha...poor guy!

He had also told my parents and asked my Dad permission too.  So they all knew it would be happening the next night.  When I called one day early to say "We're engaged!", my mom said "Already?!"  haha too funny!

(sorry this got long... I'm too detailed!)     

What a great story!  Way to go keeping him on his toes!  I noticed that you're from Philly.  What restaurant did you go to?

• Backstory needed:

My husband and I originally "met" online. (Thank you OKCupid!) We emailed a lot with all the usual GTKY types of questions. Somewhere in that, we both mentioned loving the South Bend Chocolate Cafe and their Mexican hot chocolate. After awhile, the email convo hit a lull, so I said "Now would be a great time to ask me if I would like some Mexican hot chocolate..." So he did and that was our first date location in Dec 2010. 

While dating, I lived with my super controlling and strict parents who told me that I either needed to be home by midnight or find somewhere else to stay for the evening. It was an inside joke for DH and I that I was Cinderella and I had to be home by midnight or I would turn into a pumpkin. ;-)  

Fastforward to the proposal:

DH took me to dinner at a local Thai restaurant downtown. After dinner, he suggested we go to "our place" (South Bend Cocolate Cafe) for "our dessert" (Mexican hot chocolate.) So we walked over and he suggested we sit at the same table as where we first met. But there was a broom against it and the tables up. DH asked the manager if we could sit there and said "of course! Sorry, we were just doing some cleaning."

DH went and got our hot chocolate and when he came back, he also had a gift bag in his hands. He pulled out this GORGEOUS pair of silver, glittery heels. He took my shoes off my feet and while on one knee, began putting the heels on my feet. While doing so he told me the story of Cinderella and that the prince searched everywhere for his love, but before he could ask her to be his princess, he needed to make sure the shoes fit. As he put the shoes on my feet (which fit, thank God!), he pulled out my great great grandmothers ring and said to me, "Will you be my princess?"

Apparently, he had arranged all of this ahead of time with the manager by dropping off my "proposal shoes" before our date and making sure our table was saved for us. The girls behind the counter took pictures while the proposal was happening. I was over the moon surprised with how detailed and personalized and romantic our proposal was. It was VERY memorable. We had a vintage Cinderella and Prince Charming cake topper at our wedding with Prince Charming on one knee while holding a shoe (perfect!) to pay tribute to his proposal.  

TTC since Aug 2011. BFP #1 on 10/28/2011 EDD of 07/02/2012 Natural MC on 11/22/2012  BFP #2 on 10/28/2012  EDD of 7/13/13  Judah Ari born on 7/11/13.

I love my rainbow baby!

• He proposed when we were on vacation in the outer banks. We had woken up at sunrise. Due to it being early and in the off season we had the beach to ourselves. I was in complete shock but apparently everybody and their brother knew about it except me. He asked my dad's blessing so my mom knew. And his entire extended family before I went to his family Easter, but they kept the secret though he wasn't there for most of it (he had to work). He even had shown a friend the ring when I was in the bathroom in our hotel room. When I came out they were looking at the friend's gun (he's a police officer and this was the first time we had seen him since it became official), so that is what I thought they were talking about. It is the one time he has actually surprised me with something because usually I am just way to suspicious. Also it was funny because I guess my brother was planning on a vacation proposal and they went on vacation 2 weeks later.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

TTC#1 starting Feb 2011, BFP #1:5/31/11, CP: 6/6/11; BFP #2: 7/9/11, loss confirmed 8/3 with D&C on 8/12 finding complete molar pregnancy. Forced break until Feb 2012. My blog image
  • imageJellybean902:

Backstory needed:

My husband and I originally "met" online. (Thank you OKCupid!) We emailed a lot with all the usual GTKY types of questions. Somewhere in that, we both mentioned loving the South Bend Chocolate Cafe and their Mexican hot chocolate. After awhile, the email convo hit a lull, so I said "Now would be a great time to ask me if I would like some Mexican hot chocolate..." So he did and that was our first date location in Dec 2010. 

While dating, I lived with my super controlling and strict parents who told me that I either needed to be home by midnight or find somewhere else to stay for the evening. It was an inside joke for DH and I that I was Cinderella and I had to be home by midnight or I would turn into a pumpkin. ;-)  

DH took me to dinner at a local Thai restaurant downtown. After dinner, he suggested we go to "our place" (South Bend Cocolate Cafe) for "our dessert" (Mexican hot chocolate.) So we walked over and he suggested we sit at the same table as where we first met. But there was a broom against it and the tables up. DH asked the manager if we could sit there and said "of course! Sorry, we were just doing some cleaning."

DH went and got our hot chocolate and when he came back, he also had a gift bag in his hands. He pulled out this GORGEOUS pair of silver, glittery heels. He took my shoes off my feet and while on one knee, began putting the heels on my feet. While doing so he told me the story of Cinderella and that the prince searched everywhere for his love, but before he could ask her to be his princess, he needed to make sure the shoes fit. As he put the shoes on my feet (which fit, thank God!), he pulled out my great great grandmothers ring and said to me, "Will you be my princess?"

Apparently, he had arranged all of this ahead of time with the manager by dropping off my "proposal shoes" before our date and making sure our table was saved for us. The girls behind the counter took pictures while the proposal was happening. I was over the moon surprised with how detailed and personalized and romantic our proposal was. It was VERY memorable. We had a vintage Cinderella and Prince Charming cake topper at our wedding with Prince Charming on one knee while holding a shoe (perfect!) to pay tribute to his proposal.  

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

• imageedinger3:

What a great story!  Way to go keeping him on his toes!  I noticed that you're from Philly.  What restaurant did you go to?

We're about 30 miles outside of Philly  :-) We went to Dillworthtown Inn.

• He planned a trip for us but wouldn't tell me where. He only told me what kind of clothes to take. (he's very metro, so I trusted him). Turns out he had stolen my passport so that I could board the flight to Paris. I still didn't know he was going to pop the question there. I was so grumpy and jet lagged that he delayed it a bit. He ended up getting on one knee at the top of the Eiffel tower. My grumpy mood changed immediately. 
  • imageJellybean902:

Backstory needed:

Everyone's stories are cute, but this one is adorable!!! 

• I knew a proposal was coming at some point, since we'd looked at rings and tentatively picked a date. But it seemed to be taking him a while! We lived in Kansas City at the time, but on opposite sides of the city (and in different states). 

One Thursday night, I was headed to his house for the night. I came from the gym, and was all stinky :) He acted weird on the phone, but I convinced myself it was nothing. But I walked I to find him in a suit, with candles and rose petals everywhere, and our song playing in the background. It was so sweet!

It was fun to call my parents to share the news, because they lived in Europe at the time, so I got to wake them with our news in the middle of the night! 

• imageErinE683:

I knew a proposal was coming at some point, since we'd looked at rings and tentatively picked a date. But it seemed to be taking him a while! We lived in Kansas City at the time, but on opposite sides of the city (and in different states). 

One Thursday night, I was headed to his house for the night. I came from the gym, and was all stinky :) He acted weird on the phone, but I convinced myself it was nothing. But I walked I to find him in a suit, with candles and rose petals everywhere, and our song playing in the background. It was so sweet!

It was fun to call my parents to share the news, because they lived in Europe at the time, so I got to wake them with our news in the middle of the night! 

Nice!  As for picking out a ring, DH called me at work making me think he was in front of the computer.  He kept asking me about details of the ring I would want.  He was actually at the jeweler, had me on speaker phone with the jeweler writing down the details!

• We were in grad school, 21, and living together and sharing some financial stuff.  So, getting engaged was a group choice.  Honestly, I also was starting to put some pressure on him.  We got together when we were 18, and I was over the "boyfriend" thing.  We picked out the ring together.  I LOVE Christmas, so I asked him to remember that, and we got engaged around the holiday at Navy Pier (DH is from Chicago).  I knew it was coming, but I was still really surprised in the moment.  It isn't a terribly romantic story.  We are both planners, and it shows.  Still, it was a great moment, and I will always love Navy Pier in the winter now!

Our families definitely did not see it coming (though they should have!), and it was fun to surprise them.  DH didn't ask my dad as I am not super into that element of tradition (no offense intended to anyone who is--it's just a personal thing).  So, no one knew.  His mom had previously asked what he got me for Christmas, and he had panicked and blurted out "a sweater,", so she actually thought he might be planning to break up with me as a sweater seemed like a cheap gift after 3.5 years of dating! 

• Jellybean, I love love *love* your story!

DH proposed on my birthday -- he had asked all of our friends and family to meet us at the front gates of Disneyland (our favorite place, we had been together so many times.)  When we walked in the gates, there was everyone, wishing me a happy bday.  We took a picture together and suddenly he was down on one knee. :)

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    BFP#1 - 11/13/11, Natural MC - 12/24/11 at 12 weeks
    BFP#2 - 10/2/12, Please be our rainbow.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageHopingforChange:

Our families definitely did not see it coming (though they should have!), and it was fun to surprise them.  DH didn't ask my dad as I am not super into that element of tradition (no offense intended to anyone who is--it's just a personal thing).  So, no one knew.  His mom had previously asked what he got me for Christmas, and he had panicked and blurted out "a sweater,", so she actually thought he might be planning to break up with me as a sweater seemed like a cheap gift after 3.5 years of dating! 

I know what you mean about not being into him asking your dad. When we were dating and this came up I actually got really mad at DH stating stuff such as not needing his permission. I believe I even went so far as to say I wouldn't want to be with somebody who felt they needed his permission. DH was still very adamant about it, which was rare for him. In the end I agreed it wouldn't be bad if it was just a head's up type thing since it was so important to him. More like "I am going to ask your daughter to marry me, but I would like to have your blessing". I guess my dad liked it too since he told DH I never ask his opinion anyway since I had been a kid. That being said I didn't even know if he had asked until I called my parents to tell them the news.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

TTC#1 starting Feb 2011, BFP #1:5/31/11, CP: 6/6/11; BFP #2: 7/9/11, loss confirmed 8/3 with D&C on 8/12 finding complete molar pregnancy. Forced break until Feb 2012. My blog image
  • imagepinktrojanbride120107:

Jellybean, I love love *love* your story!

DH proposed on my birthday -- he had asked all of our friends and family to meet us at the front gates of Disneyland (our favorite place, we had been together so many times.)  When we walked in the gates, there was everyone, wishing me a happy bday.  We took a picture together and suddenly he was down on one knee. :)

Did any of the Disney characters happen to stop by?  That would have just added  a great piece to a beautiful time!

• I did the proposing - We had just bought our first house together and were making breakfast when I popped the question. Actually , I think I said, "you better marry me, now". A month and a half later we were married!
    Me: 37 DH: 40 TTC since 9/09
    #1 BFP 1/10/11; missed m/c discovered 7w5d
    IF Dx: Endo, hetero MTHFR mutation, poor morphology
    #1 IUI: 1/18/12 = BFN
    #1 IVF/ICSI 4/2/12 = 2 x 7-cell and 1 x 5-cell transferred (3dt) = BFP!!
    H was born at 41w2d on 12/29/12 - be still my heart!
    #2 IVF/ICSI 1/19/14 = 2 x 8 cells transferred (3dt) = BFP!! EDD 10/09/14
    M&W born at 37 weeks on 9/18/14 - I am the momma of 3 boys!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • He asked me how does one propose in this country? (DH is from the Ukraine.) It was so sweet! 
  • imagefoxxy1:
    He asked me how does one propose in this country? (DH is from the Ukraine.) It was so sweet! 

That is really sweet :-) 

Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"