August 2012 Moms

If I get a Rock 'n Play....

...do I still need a swing? A bouncer?

FTM here, any tips and advice welcome Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: If I get a Rock 'n Play....

• yes & yes & throw in a jumparoo & exersaucer for good measure!! He He!

rock & play is more for sleeping. a bouncer is easy to set in when you need to get something quick or take to another room since it is portible. A swing is well...a swing. Jumparoo & exersaucer are more for entertainment.

• I could have lived with out my swing but it was very helpful when my son started to get funny with naps around 5 months, he would fall asleep for hours in the swing. You NEED a bouncy seat. They are amazing and you will use from the time you bring that baby home until he/she is like 8 months old. Then you bring in the jumperoo or exersaucer :)
  • Loading the player...
  • When i was in your place two years ago i thought i have to have everything just in case.. Well he never cared for the bouncer till now he's two but he uses it.However the swing we did use a lot he would always nap there it was a life saver at times...Just keep in mind dont go overboard because before you know it they out grow this stuff then you dont have anything to do with these items..
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • SGC29SGC29 member

I did not use a RNP the first time around so I can't really comment on that but our DD loved her swing. She hated it the first week or two but after that she did much better. At times it was the only way we could all get some sleep for more than five minutes at a time. It was amazing. We had a bouncy seat and she hated that thing. I think we maybe used it a handful of times.

Every baby is different though. I have heard of some babies loving the RNP and despising their swings. It is hit or miss really! 

• You don't really NEED any of it, but they're all different items for different purposes, so it wouldn't be like getting 3 bouncy seats. We're getting a RnP and we already inherited a bouncy seat. We're registering for a small portable swing. Some kids hate certain items but love others.
    Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • I would say yes to both swing and bouncer. Pick either the jumperoo or excersaucer. DS started using the jumperoo around 6 months. I prefer them over excersaucers since its basically the exact same thing except it Leo lows them to jump!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I didn't use a RnP with DS so I don't really know much about it. I think you might be able to do without a bouncer, but I don't think it could replace a swing. 

DS loved his swing and I can't imagine not having it. He HATED his bouncer for the first few weeks, then it was the only way we could settle him down for a few weeks- so even that was worth it!

DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • The RNP is more like a bouncer than anything, but it sits up higher and is longer - and isnt as portable (if you have a small bathroom for example, it may not fit). In a bouncer, once baby gets a little bigger they can bounce on their own, and it's more of an incline I think.  The RNP is meant for sleeping.  I don't know why play is in the title.  I can't see myself sitting there rocking it either.

We will have it, a bouncer, swing, and jumperoo too (exersaucer was a waste for us).  I think they all have their purposes and I used them all (well, minus the RNP, I just got it).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I plan on getting this baby and Rock 'N Play. We didn't have one for DS1 and he refused to sleep in his bassinet. He slept from 4 weeks on, for 12 hour stretches overnight in his swing. He spit up a lot so we think laying flat in the bassinet caused him to feel his acid reflex more. At the time, his pediatrician said, if he was sleeping well in the swing, let him sleep there (I had read things saying not to let your baby sleep in his swing so I was nervous and asked about it). We went through so many batteries in that thing!

I didn't like the look of our hand-me-down bassinet anyways and think the incline will help DS2 sleep more comfortably, if he is anything like his big brother.

DS1 also loved his bouncer and exersaucer. We will use them all again with this baby.

• Thanks for your help ladies.  I was going to get the RnP for DS to sleep in, as opposed to a bassinet.  I just wasn't sure if a RnP would cover the need for a bouncer and/or swing, since we currently live in an apartment, I don't want extra things laying around that aren't going to be used.  But if it makes for a happy baby, I'll get all three!  I'm definitely going to get an exersaucer, but further down the road since we don't have room for it right now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"