Working Moms

Nanny Orientation Checklist (long post)

I'm having a "test" day with the nanny that I'll share in my home from April to August while waiting for daycare to become avaialble.  I thought it be helpful for her to be here with DD and myself so I could show her the routine, get familar with the house, etc.  I've been making notes as sort of a check list of things I want to share or show her.  She's been keeping a 3 yo (Jack), so it's been a while since she's watched a newborn, although she comes highly referred.  This is my first, so I'm very nervous and wanting to cover as much as possible. 

Would you mind taking a scan of the list and let me know if there's something I'm missing?

1.       Diaper

a.       Show her where stuff is at

b.       Creams

c.      Allow to have some air a few times/day if possible (put diaper under her in case she pees; few minutes of open diaper); especially important if she has a rash

d.        Show her where we keep Lillian?s clothes

e.       How to pre-treat blow-outs

2.       Activity Time

a.       Tummy Time for at least 30 minutes, seems to do well in crib

b.      Music ? on Kindle Fire Pandora Stations

c.       Following objects with eyes, books in nursery, talk to her

d.      Avoid facing her towards tv

e.      Avoid overuse of swings and bouncy seats

f.        Share Tummy Time Info Sheet about head issues

g.       Show her how to use stroller

3.       Feeding - Exclusively Breast Milk

a.       Schedule ? 8a, 11a, 2p

b.      Bottles in the fridge; keep me posted if she?s not taking it all or seems to want more

c.       To mix milk ? roll/stir, don?t shake

d.      Warming bottles

e.      Reflux ? keep upright after feeds.  Let me know if excessive spit-up.  If she overeats this is worse. 

f.        Thaw for feeding if additional necessary (i.e. spilled bottle)

g.       Red brush can be used to clean bottles

4.       Napping

a.       Nothing in the sleep area ? no blankets, spit-up cloths or toys

b.      Schedule - trying to target naps around 9a, noon and 3p.  I put her down at first sign of yawn. 

i.      No naps > 2 hours (or may impact night sleep)

ii.      May nap between feedings; ideally 2 naps per day

c.       Where ? up to you (nursery, bassinet, PNP); crib seems to be working best right now. 

d.      How to use baby monitor, swaddles, white noise 

e.   Responds well to side hold, paci

5.       Illness & Fussiness

a.       Pacifier for fussiness

b.      Taking temperature (if hot or excessive fussiness)

c.       Gas ? drops and bicycle/frog legs/tummy time

d.      Congestion - Saline if congested, snot sucker available (but don?t over-use or will irritate her)

6.       Other

a.       Initially ? keep up with schedule of naps

b.      Suggest change of clothes for her at house or in car

c.       Beverages for us to keep her for her/Jack (the 3yo I'm sharing with)

d.      Show her how to use Netflix and OnDemand for Jack, use DVD

e.      Cleaning service ? Sandra, Mirna and Daniella; every other Tuesday

f.        Dog ? can go out if his collar is on; he?ll likely beg to go out around lunchtime!  Shut front doors while Jack naps to trap dog in kitchen family room area (he barks at UPS, and postman).

g.       Camera if you feel like taking any pictures

h.      Show how to use Car Seat

i.         Infant CPR Card ? on fridge

Contact & Emergencies - also providing SAH neighbor info and plan her to meet them (the neighbors are fine with this)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Nanny Orientation Checklist (long post)

• AZ123AZ123 member

You should create a log sheet for her to complete daily that includes the activities, feeding times and nap times.

Also, show her how to work the washing machine, dishwasher and vacuum cleaner.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If she's experienced, I actually find some of the list overkill.  And possibly even offensive. You need to show her how to use a baby monitor?  Suggesting to her that she bring a change of clothes? 

I realize you want to be thorough, but dont' treat her like she's dumb.  ASK her if she's familiar w/ your stroller, for example. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • imageEastCoastBride:

If she's experienced, I actually find some of the list overkill.  And possibly even offensive. You need to show her how to use a baby monitor?  Suggesting to her that she bring a change of clothes? 

I realize you want to be thorough, but dont' treat her like she's dumb.  ASK her if she's familiar w/ your stroller, for example. 

Well said.  I could not figure out a nice way to say this. 

OP:  You don't want to run the nanny off on the first day.  How about you stay with her the first day and ask her if she has any questions.

• Thanks for the feedback.  I will be careful how I say things because I certainly don't want to offend her and I am not giving her my notes.  Unfortunatly she isn't experienced with newborns, but is highly referred by my neighbor with a toddler.  Funny, she made a comment about my video monitor, she'd never seen one before!  I would lie to say I don't have some reservations, but I needed a temporary provider.  Then again, not sure if it's because I'm a FTM as I think I'd have reservations with anyone.
  • A lot of what you wrote, I will say, is fine in respect to your child.  The fact that your baby responds well to being on her side, for example. 

The fact that it's a video monitor, eh, I'll give that to you that maybe she does need a little guidance. :)

Some of this is also in how you word it, as I said before!  

But you originally said "it's been awhile" since she's watched a newborn, but now say she isn't experienced at all....? 

Good luck.  I do understand being nervous about leaving your LO in the hands of someone else! 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I have a nanny and have gone through the "orientation" bit.  Also a 1st time mom with #2 on the way.  Remember, this is your child.  You want to be able to talk to your nanny about your (sometimes crazy Mom) concerns without feeling like you will offend her.  As long as you approach it with a "sorry, 1st time mom" intro, you don't have anything to apologize for.  If you don't show her something and you really want to...all that will happen is that you will spend the day at work wondering if she knows how to use the monitor etc.  Our nanny understands that I am thinking about my daughter every minute of the day and is totally understanding if I call and totally understanding when we showed her our routine.  For example, I will sometimes tell my nanny that I trust her, I just have to get my crazy mom fears off my chest and talk to her even after all this time. 

This is your child...do what makes you comfortable.  You don't have to appologize for it as long as you approach things in a kind manner.  Good luck!!

• Just my 2 cents...I have been a nanny in the past for several families...most FTM's with newborns.  Some are very detail oriented like this and others are more, lets see how it goes etc.  It works both ways.  I was never offended by those that were more detailed, HECK it is their child.  At first it seemed a little much to me, but I went with it and in the end it worked out fine.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imageFloridamom224:
    Just my 2 cents...I have been a nanny in the past for several families...most FTM's with newborns.  Some are very detail oriented like this and others are more, lets see how it goes etc.  It works both ways.  I was never offended by those that were more detailed, HECK it is their child.  At first it seemed a little much to me, but I went with it and in the end it worked out fine.

I could have written this myself. I also like the suggestion of using the first time mom appology. It's all in the way you say things. If the parent spoke to me as an experienced caregiver and made me feel appreciated, I actually appreciated being given details.

• I just went through this with my nanny, we are just finishing week 2 and here is what worked for us.  I had similar notes for what I wanted to show her the days I had planned for orientation (I hadn't gone back to work yet and I would be her as E got adjusted), so I put them in our contract, but spent most of the first day being with her as I went through everything.  My nanny actually wanted to see how I did things, so she could use that to keep things consistent for E.  Be prepared for an adjustment period - I work from home and it was hard somedays to E hear be soo upset, but I had to trust the lady I had hired to care for my son.  I keep a notebook for her to write when & how much he eats, naps and diapers.  Now that our adjustment period has finished, I am going to ask her to write down the activities like tummy time, walks, reading books, etc.  I didn't want to press the issue while E was getting adjusted - there were some days he wouldn't let her put him down!  

Eventually, our nanny found what works for her with E, and got to know our son better, so things are working out great.  We do things differently, but I am OK with that because E loves her and is happy with her, and that is what matters.  The hardest thing we faced was getting his feeding on track - I EBF and pump so he gets breastmilk during the day, and we wasted a lot of milk the first few days.  My nanny is used to formula feeding, so she was in the habit of making all the bottles ahead of time so they are ready, so this ended up in a lot of wasted milk the first few days as we were trying to figure out how much and how often E would take a bottle. 

laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
  • As a caregiver myself, I appreciate parents talking to me about any and all concerns they have. Even if it's just the baby monitor. How can I keep you assured if I don't even know you have a worry? As long as the respect is there, don't worry about it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Another suggestion for how to approach it: "You probably know this but it makes me feel better to KNOW you know it." 

When I taught I had a family with a child with a major nut allergy. They gave an orientation every year to every teacher that would work with their kid. I had the orientation 3 times, and never felt offended or anything that they wanted to tell me again. It eased their mind and that's my job. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemichelle_1221:
    Thanks for the feedback.  I will be careful how I say things because I certainly don't want to offend her and I am not giving her my notes.  Unfortunatly she isn't experienced with newborns, but is highly referred by my neighbor with a toddler.  Funny, she made a comment about my video monitor, she'd never seen one before!  I would lie to say I don't have some reservations, but I needed a temporary provider.  Then again, not sure if it's because I'm a FTM as I think I'd have reservations with anyone.

My mom watches DD every day. In the beginning i wrote an "instruction sheet" that was 7 pages long.  My mom, being the wonderful lady she is, took it, nodded and smiled and then threw it away when my back was turned, LOL.

My best friend watched DD in August, (DD was 18 months by that point) for a couple of days and I gave HER a 7 page instruction sheet too.

Thing is, people will figure stuff out, or they will ask.

You can tell the nanny "Hey, I'm nervous about leaving her, i hope i'm not coming off as offensive but I want to make sure I tell you all this stuff for my OWN piece of mind". and just sort of keep playing off of that.  Keep telling her you aren't meaning to offend or be overprotective, but because you're anxious you at least want to voice it out loud.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"