Babies: 6 - 9 Months

HELP! DH has Shingles!

DH just called me at work and said he just left the doctor and he has shingles. He has a funny looking rash on his back that wrapped around his hip and went down the inside of his leg. He has been complaining about being sore for about a week now- and the rash appeared yesterday. This morning I noticed it was starting to leak. I didn't let him hold LO last night after seeing the rash and him still not feeling great. But now I am totally paranoid because he held him the night before and I laid LO on DH's side of the bed this morning when I was getting ready. His doctor said that LO should be okay, for DH just not to hold him alot. Not terribly comforting to a FTM here! I have been looking on the internet and some say keep them away while others say it's not really that big of deal. I looked at the vaccination schedule and it looks like the chicken pox vaccine isn't until LO is 12 months??? Does anyone have any advise- been there done that comments for me?? Anything is appreciated!

Side Note: I am already planning on washing all the bedding and blankets that he's had contact with! And I think I'll wash the towels and his clothes seperate on the sanitize cycle on the washer!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: HELP! DH has Shingles!

• I would call your pedi for advice.   I do know that it is contagious to those who have not had chicken pox. 

So, your LO could contract chicken pox because she isn't vaccinated yet.  I would try to limit direct contact with your LO and DH.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My aunt had it, and they told us that we should only be concerned with skin to skin contact. That being said, I would call your pediatrician to ask.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • My mom got shingles when DD was 3 weeks old.  We found out that she had them the day after she babysat DD (at my house) while I got caught up on some work. 

Her Dr. and my Ped. said that as long as DD didn't come in direct contact with the rash at the point where it 'oozes' - she would most likely not catch it.  She did not develop chicken pox.  

Dr. also said that if DD did get chicken pox...she wouldn't be the first or the last infant to catch it.  And infant cases were less severe.  

Tell DH to keep the rash covered and to keep his hands washed  Also, tell DH to take care of himself.  My mom was in agony for 2 straight weeks until the medicine started to help.

• Ugh. Call the Pedi for advice.

And good luck to your H. I've heard that shingles is extremely painful.

• imageamr1218:

My mom got shingles when DD was 3 weeks old.  We found out that she had them the day after she babysat DD (at my house) while I got caught up on some work. 

Her Dr. and my Ped. said that as long as DD didn't come in direct contact with the rash at the point where it 'oozes' - she would most likely not catch it.  She did not develop chicken pox.  

Dr. also said that if DD did get chicken pox...she wouldn't be the first or the last infant to catch it.  And infant cases were less severe.  

Tell DH to keep the rash covered and to keep his hands washed  Also, tell DH to take care of himself.  My mom was in agony for 2 straight weeks until the medicine started to help.

All of this exactly

• My BIL came down with shingles a few weeks ago and didn't realize that was what it was. My one nephew came down with the chickenpox. When we knew this, I kept my daughter away from him and my other nephew and niece because I didn't know if they were going to contract the chickenpox. She had already been around this nephew the few days before he broke out. I was hoping she wouldn't get them. Two weeks later my other nephew and niece came down with them. A few days after this, my daughter had a few spots on her ear and they spread from there. My doctors office had me come in because my daughter was so young (6 mo) to check her and see if I had any questions. There is really nothing you can do at this point. When my 1st nephew came down with them, I called my doctor's office right away panicking but they just said that if she gets them just keep an eye on her and give her tylenol if she gets a fever. They said they can't give her the shot b/c of her age. They did tell me that she would probably get a mild case of them because she was so young and I BF and I had the chickenpox when I was little. They were wrong..lol...she got them the worst of all the kids. Here is what I did to try and make the whole thing a little less uncomfortable for her: 1. Oatmeal baths 3x's a day 2. calamine lotion --spairingly b/c the doc said they don't know how much gets absorbed into the skin. I only put the aveeno anti-itch with calamine lotion on the big spots 3. Let her lay naked as often as possible b/c the hotter she was the more uncomfortable she was and she was covered under her diaper so having that off was a relief for her. 4. I threw her schedule out the window and let her just do whatever for a few days. She nursed probably every 1 -2 hrs. 5. There were 2 bad nights. For those nights my husband and I took shifts. He held her in the recliner for 3 hours then we switched. 6. Tylenol every 4 hrs. 7. Just relax and remember it will all be done and over with in a week and you won't have to worry about it again. Hopefully you won't have to worry about it!!! But if you do at least it's one thing you won't have to worry about later on. I'm a FTM too and was very nervous but it all turned out ok.
  • In my opinion, I don't think it's such a horrible thing to get the chicken pox. We all (well, most of us) did, and in fact, they say you develop better immunity by getting when you are young than by the vaccine (which you need to get boosters and most people don't).  If your baby gets chicken pox, it will suck, but I dont think it will be the end of the world.  But again, that's just my opinion!

Sorry to your husband - I had shingles twice (which they say is impossible) and it is the MOST painful thing I've ever experience.  Yes, even worse than 12 hours of back labor!

Good luck!  Hope that helps you feel less anxious!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"