Breastfeeding
Options

How do you wean from the shield?

I've been using the shield with DD for a week now after she refused to breast feed after 2 days in. How do I make the switch? I have tried to give her my bare breast but she won't latch.
image Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: How do you wean from the shield?

• Options

When we weaned from the shield, I would start with the shield on and when DD unlatched I would take it off and try to latch her back on without it. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. If she got too fussy, we just put the shield back on and tried again the next time.

visit the kellymom.com website. There's a lot of good information on there. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageKatelynEA90:

When we weaned from the shield, I would start with the shield on and when DD unlatched I would take it off and try to latch her back on without it. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. If she got too fussy, we just put the shield back on and tried again the next time.

i did the same thing. kellymom.com is great

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagebbwgirl:
    imageKatelynEA90:

i did the same thing. kellymom.com is great

I did this as well. Each feeding I would try to introduce the nipple sooner than the last time. It took about a week but I'm so glad to have that thing gone! Good luck. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I did the same as PP's have mentioned and found kellymom to be a great resource. We tried to wean at 2 weeks and 4 weeks and DS refused to latch without it. My nipples were getting cracked and sore again. I bought a replacement shield because I thought we would be using it long-term. I tried to wean again at 7 weeks and it worked! So, if it doesn't work at first, try again after a few days. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"