2nd Trimester
Options

heart-shaped uterus

I'm from first tri, but posting on other boards to get more responses.

Last weekend, I went to the ER with red bleeding, which ended up being from a small subchorionic hemorrhage. During the ultrasound, it was found that I have a possible bicornuate uterus (severely heart-shaped uterus..like the division goes almost all the way to the cervix). The u/s tech acted like it was no big deal and that everything would be fine, but of course I then came home and scared the crap out of myself searching it on google. 

I have an appointment with my OB on Monday and will discuss this then. But from what I read online, it looks like it is hard to determine exactly which type of anomaly I have while I'm pregnant. I also don't understand why this wasn't seen before by my OB, as I had two ultrasounds by my OB prior to the ER visit.

Any other ladies have this or another type of uterine anomaly? Have you had any complications so far or needed any interventions? The u/s tech at the ER says this probably explains the spotting I've had for a couple of weeks now. Any suggestions on issues to bring up to my OB?

Thanks. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: heart-shaped uterus

• Options

I have this and as you can see from my sig it's not really caused a huge problem for me. I did have a miscarriage my first pregnancy (I don't think it was related to my BU). I had twins this pregnancy, which very well may have been an issue since that baby was implanted in my left horn. I also have a deep division in my uterus. I had bleeding only with this pregnancy at 6 or 7 weeks.

I delivered my first by c-section since she was breech. That is probably the biggest complication you will likely encounter. It's extremely common for first-time mom's with BU to have that. I am trying for a VBAC this time! I will mention that with my daughter I had cramping from 24 weeks to delivery. My OB said it was growing pains becuase it was just 1/2 of my ute that had to accomodate a baby. I delivered my LO at 39 weeks. She was 8 pounds.

Sounds like you've done some research and can see why it's hard to diagnose while pregnant. I was misdiagnosed with the wrong Mullerian anomaly twice before they got it right.

A great resource is a Yahoo group.It has about 4,000 members.  https://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/MullerianAnomalies/

BabyFetus Ticker
    BFP May 2017. 
    BFP July 2014. Low Progesterone. DS born by repeat c-section for breech presentation.
    BFP November 2011 TWINS!!!. Lost a twin at 7 weeks. DS born VBAC.
    BFP July 2009. DD born via c/section for breech presentation.
    BFP Jan. 2009. Missed miscarriage at 9 weeks.D&C March 2010
    December 2009 - Diagnosed with bicornuate uterus.
  • Options

I too have the same thing. My OB was also not worried about having BU he said that there isnt much you can do about it, its just the way you were born! Google is a BAD BAD place to read up on things so I have learned! I was so worried and stressed for the longest time from what I have read. 

This is my third pregnancy but my 1st baby! Which I couldn't be more thankful for!! I had no idea about my BU until I was about 8wks along this time, my OB said that some people dont even know they have one until they deliver. My OB said that they are just going to watch me a closer and make sure everything is going good! I am currently 18 weeks and everything looks great my baby Girl has a nice strong heart beat and gets bigger every time we get an u/s. I asked about them doing a c-section and he said that its just something we will have to determine later on once the baby is bigger we will get a better idea of what kind of delivery we will do.  

Hang in there hun, remember to stay positive and try not to stress! My husband is always reminding me that I have to stay stress free for me and the baby, and on my down days I pray all day long! I just started feeling her move last week so its like she kicks me to  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Set away from Google, I did the same thing! I learned that I had a BU when I was around 8 weeks pregnant. I was never diagnosed with this ever before none one my previous doctors had even thought to look. We have defiantly struggled to get where we are today and now that we are here today 18 weeks pregnant I cannot be more grateful and happy! 

My dr has been great, he wasnt worried at all about my BU which scared me at first but now I think that it was a lot better because I didnt freak out when he found it. He told me that there is nothing I can do to change this its just something I was born with! I am closely watched and get an ultra sound a lot more often which is great, the baby is growin like a summer time weed lol!! As far as delivery goes my OB said we will just have to wait to see if she stays breech or not to determine if a c-section will be needed! 

The best advice I can give you is stay positive, and try not to stress! Its not good for you or the baby!! I found that on my down days I would pray 100 times a day just asking God to watch over my baby and to keep her healthy!  

• Options

My friend has this and was told it can make it harder to get pregnant, harder to hold a pregnancy and most babies end up breech and needing a c-section. She had other IV issues but once pregnant never suffered a m/c. Her first was breech though and her second pregnancy was twins (repeat c-section).

I hope you get some solid answers from your Dr. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"