Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Has your LO been without you overnight - moms of 11 mnth olds

Just wondering if any of you have left your child overnight with family/babysitter... I have once and it wasn't a full night - he was with my mom for literally a few hours because I couldn't take it.

Wondering what age you left them overnight without you, or if not, when do you think you will?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Has your LO been without you overnight - moms of 11 mnth olds

• I left Chloe for two nights when she was 2 months old.  It was tough but the alone time with my husband was wonderful.  Also, around 4 months old she stayed at my MIL's house overnight, we were 5 minutes down the road. 

We may be leaving her overnight again in early June so we can go do something for our anniversary.  

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I had to leave DD for a night for work travel when she was 5 months old. I wasn't happy about it, but she did fine with DH and I was thankful it was only 1 night at least. We were gone for 2 nights for an out of town wedding when she was 6 months old. My mom stayed with her and it was hard for me, but she seemed to have a great time. Now we have another 2 night trip coming up for another wedding when she'll be 13 months old and I'm really stressing about it. She's much more particular now about who she's with, how she goes to bed, etc and she still wakes up to nurse at least 2 or 3 times a night, so I'm not sure how well she'll go back to sleep without me there. MIL and FIL will be staying with her though, and she does love them, so hopefully it will go ok.

If DD were STTN, I'd have no problem with being away overnight occasionally, especially if she were with a family member. Since she's nowhere near STTN, it really stresses me out and I'm glad this is the last time we'll have to do it for a while.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We've done several one nighters, 5 nights when DS was 5.5 months old (went to Vegas), and 10 days when DS was 10.5 months old (Went to Jamaica), DS is now almost 1.  All overnighters have been with my mom watching him.  We enjoyed ourselves everytime we left him but the day we came back from Jamaica I cried cause I was ready to see him and was feeling it while looking at all the other babies on vacation.
  • I didn't leave DD1 overnight until she was 18 months old. We had planned to at 16 months, but had to bump our trip due to buying a house. She stayed with my parents and did great, and also did great 4 weeks later when she stayed with my parents again while I was in the hospital having DD2. It was easier to be away from her than I anticipated - I missed her, but the time with just DH and I was much needed.

I was definitely not ready to leave her any earlier than that, and won't leave DD2 overnight until she's at least a year. But I'm now much more confident the world won't end if we're gone more than a few hours :P

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have only done it once, but that is because I can never find a sitter (my mom really never watches the kids overnight).  I have been ready for a while (like when DD was 3 months) and am dying for another night with DH and I by ourselves.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • V stayed overnight with my parents wen she was 9 months old.  We both survived.
    Mommy to Violet 4/4/2011 and Linnea 2/10/2013
    Anniversary
  • V stayed overnight with my parents when she was 9 months old.  We both survived.
    Mommy to Violet 4/4/2011 and Linnea 2/10/2013
    Anniversary
  • I was hospitalized when DS was a month old for 3 nights. I had a wedding in September that i I left him overnight with my mom. As soon as I fully wean him I'll be leaving him again. 
    Andrea 7/9/08, Joaquin 4/18/11, boy coming 12/18/13 Forever missed: Gabriel 11/24/09 at 20 weeks
  • I guess I just don't get it...DD spent the night with my mom when she was 5 weeks old...Was it hard - yes.  Do I regret it - no.  She was in great hands and I was able to get some much needed rest so I could be a better mom for her when my mom brought her back (I was battling mastitis and an abscess, my mom took her so I could work on getting better).  She has probably spent the night with them at least once a month since then, if not more.

They both love it...and it gives DH and me some much-needed bonding time.

The silly thing is - they think I don't let them have her enough and are being stingy with her lol. Hello!  She's my baby I need time with her too! 

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did once at 10 months overnight, but LO was with my H (which Iknow is a tad different than a grandparent or babysitter). LO didn't even know I was gone and actually slept through the night (which has only happened a handful of times).

H and I will leave LO overnight with my MIL in the summer for a concert. MIL (and probably FIL) will come stay the night at our house to take care of LO

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I haven't had a full nights sleep in 11 months... If I had my parents close by I would have them stay here or with them but I'm not really a huge fan of my in-laws and I'm even anxious when they babysit, plus they really don't want to. At some point DH will question why we don't let them have her overnight i'm just not comfortable with it. They will only babysit at their house too it's all such a big hassle every single time. I am convinced I would get a call if she woke up in the night. I would love a night with DH.. I don't see it happening though anytime soon. My parents are a 9 hour flight away..
  • EcyEcy member
    I had to leave DD when she was 6 weeks old & it killed me. This was for 2 nights but it's a long story & I was doing something very important so it was worthwhile. Then just a couple of weekends ago, my DH and I went about an hour and a half away for one night for our anniversary. She stayed with my mom and they do great together. I don't plan on leaving her again for awhile though.
  • We haven't left him overnight. It's not that we think we're not ready, we just haven't had a reason to leave him.
    MPZ born June 2011
    TTC #2 ... Cycle 1-3: IUI = BFN | Cycle 4: IVF ... canceled but 3 snow babies
    Cycle 5: FET .. BFP! | EDD - 3/15/2014
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I haven't left him overnight yet, although DH and I are hoping to go on a couples vacation later this summer.

Right now it's just impossible. DS won't sleep anywhere but his crib, and he won't take a bottle from anybody but me. Plus, he's still not STTN so I don't think it's fair to whoever is watching him.

• 7 times so far.  I have no problem with it.  No longer than 4 nights straight so far, but DH and I are going on vacation alone for 10 days in June. 

When I've been away she's either been with DH or her grandparents, so it's not a big deal.  I miss her, but I can't imagine not having a life of my own outside of my child. 

• we just got back from a trip to Hawaii.. LO stayed with my in laws.  it was really tough initially but we knew if they needed anything they'd call. We called once a day just to find out everything was fine. 

I'm glad we did it but I'm also glad it's over ;) 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • skioskio member

I left DD once for a night to celebrate my best friend's 30th. She was 11m. My parents stayed with her during the day and put her down for the night, then DH was home for the overnight. I was hesitant but it went totally smooth and I'd do it again. She's a great sleeper, I am just a mom and had an inexplicable nervousness about being apart from her.

H and I are leaving her with my parents for two or three nights in June when she'll be almost 15m because I want to go away and drink my face off for my 30th. A good friend is also due to have a baby in two weeks and doesn't have a mother to help her once her husband goes back to work, so I may go stay with her for a few nights if she needs me. 

Like my mom told me when I was nervous about leaving her the first time: "You just have to do it. She's in good hands, and you won't regret it."

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • I wish I could. We don't have anyone that would watch DS. The only time in the almost year DS has been alive that someone besides me has put him to bed was when I had dental surgery and DH put him to bed.
  • We've never left her overnight with anyone. She's still BFing, so maybe once she's weaned we'll do it- whenever that may be because we want her to self wean.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Picture114b Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I went on a 5-day business trip when he was 8 months but he was with DH. And already STTN. He hasn't been away from us both at once overnight. Hasn't come up.
  • No.  She is EBF and absolutely refuses a bottle/sippycup.  And believe me when I say we've tried.  I had to stop BF her for a week b/c of some meds and she starved herself and stopped having wet diapers.  So the longest I'm ever away from her is ~4 hours b/c then she's hungry.  Yah, it's hard but it's not that big of a deal.
  • Yes, I was gone on a business trip for 3 days/2 nights last week.  I really didn't have a choice, but DH did a great job with her and while she showed signs she missed me, we facetimed on our iPhones and it helped a bit.

~~~I am MrsPLW71~~~ Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

My Birth Story
  • I've left him one night when he was 8 months and I was burnt out exhausted. My sister volunteered to take care of him, and I let her. I left and slept at a friends, and it was glorious. DS doesn't take a bottle, and he doesn't sttn so that night was hard for him, but he was fine.

Once he gets better at sleeping, DH and I might take a night away. It really depends when he's night weaned. I don't like to pump and he doesn't like bottles, so that does limit us a bit. Generally, it's not a problem for me.

• We have done overnights before---two weddings (one in October, and in January)--she stayed with my parents for one and my MIL for the other.

My husband and I have also had individual overnights where one of us went away. I went to the city to visit with my best friend and he watched her overnight for some "girl's time"--and then this weekend actually he is in AC for beerfest, so I am going solo with her.

My daughter for the most part is a REALLY good sleeper--and usually sleeps straight through until 5:30am. So we were never worried about that. Also due to medicine that I have to take, I was never allowed to breastfeed--so she was always on formula, which makes it easier as well.

My daughter is my hero.
  • Fairly frequently because my mom lives in the same city we do. She takes him once a week or once every two weeks, depending on how insane my job and my husband's job has been. She had him Friday night and tonight this weekend so I could get ready for his birthday party tomorrow -- he's super-clingy with me, so if he'd been here, I'd never have gotten all the cooking and stuff taken care of. He also went to stay with my dad and his wife for several days when I had my wisdom teeth removed. It's a bit easier because he hasn't been breastfed since he was five months (and that was pumped breast milk in a bottle) and is very rapidly turning to all adult food, all the time.
    When it's all said and done, what matters most is your relationships with other people; without good friends and family, what's the point?
    My Cooking Blog
    My Baby Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"