Baby Names

Name spelling ?

The name we have chosen for a girl is Madeleine (traditional spelling), being pronounced mad-e-lean, it was my great-grandmother's name, even with the traditional spelling she always had to correct people in their pronunciation.

We are undecided and would like some input on the spelling we should use:

Madeleine (English/French)

Madelene (Swedish)

Madilene

Madylene 

image image image

Re: Name spelling ?

• Since you're honoring your great grandmother, I'd lean towards spelling it as she spelled it.

I've never heard it pronounced that way, though.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Okay, so it's mad-uh-leen, with a long e sound in the last syllable? I haven't heard that pronunciation. I've only heard it pronounced the traditional French way (mad-uh-lan, spelled Madeleine), and the Americanized mad-uh-line (spelled Madeline). 

Am I understanding correctly the pronunciation you want to use? If so, I think people will be more likely to get it right if you go with the Swedish spelling. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • imagegnomemom:

Okay, so it's mad-uh-leen, with a long e sound in the last syllable? I haven't heard that pronunciation. I've only heard it pronounced the traditional French way (mad-uh-lan, spelled Madeleine), and the Americanized mad-uh-line (spelled Madeline). 

Am I understanding correctly the pronunciation you want to use? If so, I think people will be more likely to get it right if you go with the Swedish spelling. 

agreed.  i think it is frustrating to constantly correct people in pronunciation.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you are naming her after your great-grandmother, it makes sense to spell the name Madeleine. It is definitely my favourite of all the spellings you have listed. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • I've never heard it pronounced that way.  But, I think lots of kids in the next several years are going to have to tell people how to pronounce their name, so it might not be that big of an issue.  For the pronunciation you want, I would suggest spelling it Madelene (Swedish), but to honor your grandmother you could always leave it spelled her way and correct people when necessary.

• I'd go with Madeleine. 

I don't care for the other spellings, especially Madylene. 

• I think any way you spell it, it will be mispronounced. I've never heard it pronounced that way. I would say since that's the case just spell it like she did.

• madylene God Bless you and congrats!
  • I agree with PPs that spelling it the way your great-grandmother did would be the best way to honor her, but the swedish "Madelene" spelling would be best to eliminate pronunciation confusion. I've honestly never heard it pronounced that way.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the input, I think my fav is traditional and DH likes the Swedish spelling, we'll have to find a compromise.  I guess the pronunciation seems normal to me because I've always known it.  I've never known someone with the same spelling and different pronunciation.
    image image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"