Baby Names

Opinions on names please

I am currently pregnant with twin boys and we are struggling with boy names. One of the very few names that I love is already used on Both sides of DH's family. He has one cousin who is locally close who's son has the name and another cousin who lives far, and isn't as close with who's son has it (both boys are toddlers).  Would it be weird to use a name that is already in circulation on both sides?? I am positive the one side of the family would think nothing of it but think the other side might mock us and think its strange. Thoughts?

Fraternal twin boys born at 33 weeks 4 days Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Opinions on names please

• It depends on the name, somewhat to me.  If it's a fairly common classic name, I think it's less of an issue, but if it's something that's a little more out there I would probably rethink it.  What's the name?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Let me guess, your side is the one that would think nothing of it?  :)

How does your husband feel about it, considering it's in his family? Personally, and many disagree with me on this, so take it FWIW, I think there are so many names out there that it shouldn't be necessary to use one that's being used by someone close to you. Just my two cents. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 
    After 22 cycles and 4 failed IUIs, Serafina joined our family through IVF/ICSI, born 8.28.12
    Our surprise baby, Juliette, is due 12.8.14!

• Loading the player...
  • It's a relatively common name, Nicholas. It's always been our favorite and we don't have any other strong contenders at all. DH and I are both on the fence. 
  • I personally wouldn't do it, but that is because I prefer normal but not commonly used names...therefore it bothers me when someone else I know has that name. 

If it were me I would go for another version of Nicholas like Nikolai.  I get that is not everyone's style, but that would be my solution.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I say use it and congratulate the cousins on their fine name choices.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't think it's weird at all... but to be fair, I have 200+ members just on my side of the family, so there are bound to be some repeats. Some of the repeats were in honor of previous generations (Jr., III, IV...), and some were just names that were repeated.

Is there a NN for Nicholas that the other family members aren't using? Maybe you could use the NN to set your LO apart.

I don't think that someone owns a name just because they happened to pop out a baby first. This is not "finders/keepers"... do your thing!

me 26 / DH 29
    TTC#1 since 5/2010 (charting, AO)
    2/2011: DX: PCOS, hypothyroid (1700 mg Metformin, 50 mcg Synthroid)
    8/10/2011: First RE appt.
    9/2011 & 10/2011: Clomid + Ovidrel + TI = BFN
    11/2011: Femara + Ovidrel + TI = BFN
    1/2012: Femara + Follistim + Ovidrel + TI = BFP! (Praise the Lord!)
    ?3/23/2012: Graduated from the RE... moving on to a regular OB!?
    ?10/29/2012: Our precious baby boy was born via emergency C-section. 5 lbs, 13 oz; 18" long ?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Assuming you aren't terribly close with them, I think you should use it if you like it. If they are family members who you see frequently, I would be less likely to use it. 

DH and I have a name we love, but my cousin chose it for her son a little over a year ago.  Because we don't see them frequently, we will use the name if we have a son.  

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Thanks everyone. When his cousins chose it (when we were still TTC), I was so disappointed and up until now said I would ever use it. But now that it's a reality I just love it and it goes with our other boy name etc and I'm starting to think "who cares". DH's family is very big and it took us a long time to conceive, so watching almost every name we liked get used was tough. It's a tough choice but I know we will figure it out. Thanks for all the advice  

• Eh, Nicholas is not that exciting anyway. I'd pick another name.

TTC since June 2010.
    DX hypothyroidism, pituitary hyperfunction, and PCOS.
    On med/treatment break indefinitely. Not currently trying.
    Lots of love to all of my Golden Girls!
    The Vagtastic Voyage
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"