Cloth Diapering

Can we talk about proper fit?

Ok, I am a CDing newbie!  DS is almost 1 month old and is about 9.5 lbs.  I am so excited to get him into the cloth diapers that we have gotten.  From what I can tell, the Flips seem to fit him the best at this point.

Most of the diapers that I have gotten (BG, FB, Kawaii, Sunbaby, and Flips) are all OS snaps.  My assumption would be that I would make it as small as possible based off of how little he is, but I know that different babies need different settings based on height, leg size, etc....

How do I go about knowing that I have the right fit for my LO?  Obviously, I don't want them to be too tight or too loose.  Is there some sort of rule of thumb?  Like a "two finger" rule (if that makes any sense)?

Thanks for any input that you can give me!

Re: Can we talk about proper fit?

• Once the diaper is on, lift his legs up and check underneath - there should be no gape.

The waist should be nice and snug. 

Those are pretty much the only two rules I go by.  :) 

• Trial and error.  If it leaks out the legs, then it's too loose.  :)

Dont worry, you'll figure it out.  GL!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageScoutandRice:

Once the diaper is on, lift his legs up and check underneath - there should be no gape.

That's pretty much what I look for. More so the leg than anything else, since that can "hide" if you don't lift to look. 

DD 1.18.2012
  • imageSoonToBeMsP:
    imageScoutandRice:

Once the diaper is on, lift his legs up and check underneath - there should be no gape.

That's pretty much what I look for. More so the leg than anything else, since that can "hide" if you don't lift to look. 

Just to clarify:  When I am looking at his legs, I just want to make sure that the elastic is fairly snug with no gaping?

I pretty much get the waist adjustments...I guess it's the rise that confuses me.

• bgf1bgf1 member

At 9.5 lbs your LO should be on the lowest rise setting for all off these diapers.  I find adjusting the rise usually also frees up more room around the legs. I think if you weren't on the lowest rise you wouldn't be able to get them tight enough around the legs.  You could also check out the website of the diapers that you've mentioned and see if they have suggested weight ranges for the different rise setting.

You do want the diaper snug, you should have no gapping around the legs.  I think when DS was that little I considered it a good fit if I could slide one finger in and have the diaper feel quite snug with both the baby and my finger in the diaper.  I don't really do that anymore, like PP said you just get to know.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"