Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Overreacting?

I'm a FTM, and I admit that I panic and over analyze every sniffle. Took DD to doctor on wednesday because she had a fever. He listened to her lungs and everything, said it all sounded fine. Sent us home with diagnosis of a cold. Plenty of fluids & rest, etc. Fever persisted a few days, I was giving her tylenol every 6-12 hours, as needed. I checked her temperature about an hour ago, it was at 97. Hoping this means the fever has broken. She's slept AWESOME so far, tonight. Not like the past 3 nights. When she does cough, she sometimes coughs so hard that she chokes or gags (not sure which). I trust my doc & his opinion, but people are throwing around words like pneumonia, bronchitis, meningitis.....its freaking me out!!! Am I over analyzing things??? do I take her to urgent care? Or do I take the good night as a sign of improving health? What are your opinions?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket

Re: Overreacting?

• Options
    Great news that her temp went down. I would only take her in if I heard wheezing with that cough. Could just be allergies. My son has a very wet cough at night.Hope she's better soon!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I definitely would not take her in.  My DS has been coughing so that he chokes/gags his whole life.  Obviously we're working with multiple doctors trying to figure this out, but he's been alive and thriving for almost 9 months, so it's not life-threatening.  Your doctors listened to her lungs, and if it sounded fine, it's probably still fine. Most people get a cough after a cold.

However, you're her mom, and your instincts are best!  But she does sound like she's on the mend.

PhotobucketLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Your baby is fine.  She just has a cough after a cold.  Who are you listening to that keep telling you that your baby has all of these horrible diseases?  No wonder you are so paranoid! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageJelliebean1982:
    Your baby is fine.  She just has a cough after a cold.  Who are you listening to that keep telling you that your baby has all of these horrible diseases?  No wonder you are so paranoid! 

Yeah this. :)

I wouldn't worry. My rule is if she eats fine, plays fairly well, sleeps and Tylenol kills her fever she doesn't need the doc.

Mine had croup for a good week. My MIL (who's a retired nurse, so it's not weird) told me that's what it was and the dr. wasn't going to tell me more than get a humidifer and put some baby vick's on her toes. I didn't take her to the doc. I figured the germs there were worse anyways.

Trust your instincts, but chances are she's fine.

• Options
    Baby girl is SO MUCH BETTER this morning!!! I'm glad I didn't go running to urgent care. I tend to panic over nothing, when she's sick. Her fever has finally broken and the cough is shallow and loose. Hoping in the next few days she'll be even more like herself :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    No fever = no immune response = not sick with something medication can fix. You're overreacting. Welcome to the club! :)
  • Options

imageJelliebean1982:

This. 

and just fyi- if someone is truly choking, they cannot make noise. So it is gagging. (I don't care what you call it, just thought I'd let you know in case you are truly worried that your lo is choking)

ETA: just read through the rest of the responses.. glad she is better now!

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options

imageAMcLaws:
    Baby girl is SO MUCH BETTER this morning!!! I'm glad I didn't go running to urgent care. I tend to panic over nothing, when she's sick. Her fever has finally broken and the cough is shallow and loose. Hoping in the next few days she'll be even more like herself :)

We all do. Don't worry.  One thing I tell any new mom is to go with your gut. The worse that can happen is that she is totally fine!  I have taken my guy to the docs for a rash that has disappeared on the way there. I have also taken him in thinking it was nothing and we leave with a nebulizer, steriods, etc. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"