Pregnant after IF

Migraine help in early pregnancy

I've had migraines about 1-2x/week since 2008. In the past year I"ve been taking flushing niacin tablets (which is basically 500mg of vitamin b-6) for them- when I get the first signs I take a tablet and never get the pain. It is a miracle!

My current RE wants to error on the side of caution and says I probably shouldn't be doing the niacin. From what I understand only Tylenol is OK, which would leave me with miserable searing incapacitating pain.

Do any of you suffer from migraines? What did you do for relief in pregnancy? I have read some docs say vicodin is OK (Category C like niacin).

Any advice from experience is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks! 

Julene & Lance, July 6th, 2008** TTC since 2009** Chemical pregnancy Dec 2011** Surprise natural BFP 3-20-12! Beta #1 at 12dpo=108, Beta #2 at 14dpo= 419. 5 week beta (21dpo)= 8,398, 6 week beta (28dpo)= 35,485 **Grow baby, grow!** TTC Blog: http://thequestforlittlelambies.blogspot.com/ Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Migraine help in early pregnancy

• I ended up with Tylenol 3 which never took the migraine away, but took the edge off enough so I could sleep.  The good news is, after a few horrible ones early on, I haven't had trouble in the later months.  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In the early weeks nothing. My doc would never ok more than Tylenol. So ice packs on my head, dark rooms, incapacitation.  In te second tri I started seeing a chiropractor and that's helped a lot. I also find that Tylenol and a coke can help but it by no means deals with it. Good luck. Do you have a neuro that might consult with your OB?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageGypsyEsq:
    In the early weeks nothing. My doc would never ok more than Tylenol. So ice packs on my head, dark rooms, incapacitation.  In te second tri I started seeing a chiropractor and that's helped a lot. I also find that Tylenol and a coke can help but it by no means deals with it. Good luck. Do you have a neuro that might consult with your OB?

I do have a regular doc who awhile ago prescribed Fiocet- which is basically tylenol w caffeine & butalbital (the questionable ingredient). I've never taken one since the niacin tablets work so well and are much more natural- they were recommended by my wholistic chiropractor. I got my ocular migraine flashing lights last night and took tylenol, then caved and took 1/2 a niacin pill. I feel really guilty for doing that now, hence my post to explore other options!

Appreciate everyone's suggestions & help greatly! 

Julene & Lance, July 6th, 2008** TTC since 2009** Chemical pregnancy Dec 2011** Surprise natural BFP 3-20-12! Beta #1 at 12dpo=108, Beta #2 at 14dpo= 419. 5 week beta (21dpo)= 8,398, 6 week beta (28dpo)= 35,485 **Grow baby, grow!** TTC Blog: http://thequestforlittlelambies.blogspot.com/ Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagejulene8:

imageGypsyEsq:
    In the early weeks nothing. My doc would never ok more than Tylenol. So ice packs on my head, dark rooms, incapacitation.  In te second tri I started seeing a chiropractor and that's helped a lot. I also find that Tylenol and a coke can help but it by no means deals with it. Good luck. Do you have a neuro that might consult with your OB?

I do have a regular doc who awhile ago prescribed Fiocet- which is basically tylenol w caffeine & butalbital (the questionable ingredient). I've never taken one since the niacin tablets work so well and are much more natural- they were recommended by my wholistic chiropractor. I got my ocular migraine flashing lights last night and took tylenol, then caved and took 1/2 a niacin pill. I feel really guilty for doing that now, hence my post to explore other options!

Appreciate everyone's suggestions & help greatly! 

Fiorecet was my drug of choice but no OB or MFM will let me take it.  Which sucks.  Tylenol 3 might work.  This is what safefetus.com says about Niacin -- I'd be tempted to just continue taking it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Tylenol and a regular coke or other soda helped it be manageable. It didn't solve it, but it helped.
    ME: 30 DH: 30
    TTC #1 since 3/2010
    DX: Unclear-potential MF (low motility, borderline count); currently unexplained
    Ultrasound/HSG- Feb 2011
    Lap: May 2011
    Clomid/IUI Cycle #1: 6/2011
    Clomid/IUI Cycle #2: 7/2011
    Clomid/IUI Cycle #3: 8/2011
    9/2011 Switched REs...and more testing
    DX: Unexplained- borderline MFI
    IVF #1: 11/09/2011- BFP!!
    Beta #1: 241; Beta #2: 666
    Ultrasound scheduled for 5w6d
    Baby girl born 8.14.12
  • I've gotten bad migraines in the past. A couple times the only thing to make them go away was going to the ER for a shot of demerol, which is not an option now!

Tylenol, coconut water (magnesium in it helps), dark chocolate and lots of water. It helped, but never made the migraine totally go away.

Luckily I haven't had a truly miserable one during this pregnancy.

Good luck...
    Renee- 37 DH - Chad - 39
    2/06 - surprise pregnancy - twins
    3/06 - m/c 1st baby at 6 weeks 
    5/06 -2nd baby had no heartbeat at 14 wks.
    D&E - Bled out. Blood transfusions. Week in ICU - Cheated Death!
    Diagnosis: Blood clotting and bleeding disorder, immune issues, & cervical stenosis
    5/10 - 1st IVF cycle - BFN
    FET - 10/12/10 - BFN
    1/11 - IVF with PGD - BFN
    IVF - May - BFN
    6/11 New RE - fingers crossed!
    9/11 - IVF - 4 transferred
    10/13 - BFP!!
    It's a boy! Clint Michael, Due in June!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I also took Fioricet and Fiornal for my headaches prior to being pregnant.  I have had a migraine on and off since Monday and today I went to Walgreens and bought the generic version of Excedrin Tension Headache (it is 65mg of caffeine and tylenol).  There was no Excedrin brand due to the recall, but the generic was the same thing.  I was afraid to take two, so I took one with one regular tylenol.  It did help temporarily but the headache was back full force in a few hours.  Tomorrow I may try taking two and see if that makes a difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"