Baby Names

baby girl having same middle name as me?

Has anyone ever made the middle name of their baby their own? We're having a big problem agreeing on a middle name.. i would like it to be meaningful but we cant agree and my husband doesn't think it has to be meaningful - which is fine with me too. But then I thought my own middle name goes really nice with the first name and he agreed. Has anyone ever heard of that?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: baby girl having same middle name as me?

• My mn is Rose and I love it.  I've thought about it but didn't want it to seem like I was naming baby after myself.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would have no problem giving my daughter my middle name.  I love my name and if it went well with the FN I would love to pass it on.
    My goal for 2013...Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • SEWFSEWF member
    There's nothing wrong with it. My middle name is Elizabeth, and I've thought about using it for a girl if we have one.
    Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I gave my middle name to my daughter. I love my middle name and thought it sounded nice with Olivia.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think it's probably more common for boys/men.  My DH and my son share a middle name, Henry.  It is also a prominent family name for both of us... my great grandfather and DH's grandfather both had Henry as a first name.

I have no problem at all with women doing it, too.

• I'm considering doing it. I think it's nice.
  • great! thanks for the replies. I didn't think there was much wrong with it but was curious about others first thoughts.
  • I'm passing along my middle name because it is also my Mom's and my favorite cousin's (who's basically my little sister). It's also the one that seems to flow best with our girl's first name choice.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 
    After 22 cycles and 4 failed IUIs, Serafina joined our family through IVF/ICSI, born 8.28.12
    Our surprise baby, Juliette, is due 12.8.14!

• My grandmother, mom, myself, and my DD all share a middle name.

• I don't mind when people do it, but I chose not to because I didn't want to name my child after myself.  I wanted her to have a unique name that is her own.  But, I also think it's nice when people carry on family names.  I didn't have any family names that were pretty enough or flowed well with the fn we chose for DD. 

• I think it's fine. I don't have any kids yet but my cousin did it with her middle name, Elizabeth.
  • My LO will have my first name as her MN. Its not about me, though, its a long time family name, so its more to honour my Mom and both Grandmothers. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Anniversary
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • krb03krb03 member
    My middle name is the same as my mom's. My husband's is the same as his dad's too. Our son's MN is the same as DH, which also is both grandpa's middle names. I like that tradition.
    imageimage
  • I don't like my MN, especially with our LN, so no, I wouldn't consider using it.

However, I think it's cool when people do it. Men sometimes use their whole names on their sons; what's so weird about a woman using her middle name for her daughter?

VOTE on my Name List

Pregnancy Ticker

• I have the same middle name as my mother, grandmother, great-grandmother and great-great-grandmother! If we have a daughter she will surely have the same middle name =). I love the tradition, it gives all the women in our family a link together!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I think it's nice. Our future son's middle name will be the same as my DH's middle name.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I think that's pretty common actually..at least where I'm from it is. My grandmother, mom, and sister share the MN Marie.
    Anniversary
  • My MN is Rose and we used Rose for my DD Evelyn's middle name as well. 
  • My first name is my mom's middle name, and I always liked that she passed on part of her name to me. I think it is sweet. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagePeanutButterGirl:
    Has anyone ever made the middle name of their baby their own? We're having a big problem agreeing on a middle name.. i would like it to be meaningful but we cant agree and my husband doesn't think it has to be meaningful - which is fine with me too. But then I thought my own middle name goes really nice with the first name and he agreed. Has anyone ever heard of that?

I'm doing it if we have a girl. It's actually not that uncommon I think. 

ETA: Also, if we have a boy, his middle name will be the same as my husband's and that one is a tradition in his family. 

• I have tons of friends whose middle names are all the same down through the female line of their family. I think it is a GREAT tradition. Way better than picking something random. Go for it!!!!
    Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • My MIL, Sisters-in-law, and nieces all have Ann as their middle name, it's a tradition.  I don't see anything wrong with having the same middle name. 
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If this LO is a girl, she will have my middle name. It was also my grandmother's first name, so it's pretty significant.

And, FWIW, if LO is a boy, he will have DH's first name as his middle name. I like the family continuity.

me 26 / DH 29
    TTC#1 since 5/2010 (charting, AO)
    2/2011: DX: PCOS, hypothyroid (1700 mg Metformin, 50 mcg Synthroid)
    8/10/2011: First RE appt.
    9/2011 & 10/2011: Clomid + Ovidrel + TI = BFN
    11/2011: Femara + Ovidrel + TI = BFN
    1/2012: Femara + Follistim + Ovidrel + TI = BFP! (Praise the Lord!)
    ?3/23/2012: Graduated from the RE... moving on to a regular OB!?
    ?10/29/2012: Our precious baby boy was born via emergency C-section. 5 lbs, 13 oz; 18" long ?

Anniversary
  • My parents gave my sister and myself my mother's middle name. So all three of us have Marie as a middle name.

Renee- 37 DH - Chad - 39
    2/06 - surprise pregnancy - twins
    3/06 - m/c 1st baby at 6 weeks 
    5/06 -2nd baby had no heartbeat at 14 wks.
    D&E - Bled out. Blood transfusions. Week in ICU - Cheated Death!
    Diagnosis: Blood clotting and bleeding disorder, immune issues, & cervical stenosis
    5/10 - 1st IVF cycle - BFN
    FET - 10/12/10 - BFN
    1/11 - IVF with PGD - BFN
    IVF - May - BFN
    6/11 New RE - fingers crossed!
    9/11 - IVF - 4 transferred
    10/13 - BFP!!
    It's a boy! Clint Michael, Due in June!!!

• I love the idea of it.  Personally, I won't because I don't care for my mn (Which is my mom's first name). 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• My MN is Marie after my mom. I like it. I'd make it my next DD's MN.

Mother of  Sable Rene' & Clifton Michael
    Blog    Names
  • My daughter's MN is my FN......she loves being named after mom!
  • I share a middle name with my mom and I am debating on passing it down to a daughter. The problem is that it is a family name and not at all pretty. While I appreciate the significance now that I am older, I did not like it growing up at all.
    Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • My Husband has been suggesting this over and over again for our daughter-to-be...

I'm not against it as a concept, and I love my own middle name, but still undecided on it for our little one. Hmmm...

BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I'm against it. My oldest sister got my mother's middle name and my big brother got my father's middle name...and I got some random name. My sister only has a boy but I still feel like my mom's middle name "belongs" to my sister just in case a girl comes along so I can't use it to honor my mom and my brother has passed my father's middle name to his son. I think the third generation thing is great...for them. I think it's fine for the child that gets the name but the other kids kind of end up feeling left out especially if they are named after Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen's Full House character, Michelle. Just how I feel about it. Maybe as long as it is ensured that all following kids names have special meanings too.

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 (my birthday!) MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

TTC #1 (Round 2): May 16, 2014 

Names | Blog | Chart

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"