Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Questions if your baby had/has really bad cradle cap or skin issues..

DS has had bad cradle cap for a while now.  he also has major skin issues...contact and subhhoreic dermatitis on his face that could be due to an allergy to something in my BM which we are trying to figure out or just plain old sensitive skin.  He almost always has rough red bumpy type patches on his skin,  It doesnt look very nice and it itches.  Poor baby.  Hydrocortisone has been the only thing that hekps clear it up a bit, but it always comes back

Anyways, the flakes on his scalp come off if I use california baby shampoo and a soft toothbrush to scrub off.  But it always comes back and often his head is left extremely oily.  Can anyone tell me how to get rid of cradle cap all together?  Did your DC have an extemely oily scalp underneath the flakes?  I guess the oil is what is causing the flakes?  His skin is very red and bumpy when the scales come off.  Maybe it will just go away with time and there is no 'cure'?  Im not worried about how to get the flakes off, but am wondering if anything might prevent it from coming back?  Some have mentioned tea tree oil.  thanks

Severe MFI resulting in IVF/ICSI #1 in Nov 2007. BFP!!
Our beautiful son was born July 2008.
2010: 2 IVF's,1 FET = 2 BFN's, 1 c/p :(
Feb 2011-Unmedicated FET= BFP!! DS #2 born Oct 2011!!.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Questions if your baby had/has really bad cradle cap or skin issues..

• Options
    We've been dealing with that also and have tried medicines, oils, etc.  Our LO has eczema and cradle cap thanks to my genes and we have found that Mustela products have worked wonders on him.  We've been using it for a week and they make a cradle cap shampoo along with an overnight cream and we've seen a big improvement.  It's not completely cleared up, but it's heading in the right direction.  We also use their lotion for eczema and dry skin on his body and have noticed the redness has gone away and we're just watching it clear up.  We're hoping that using this shampoo will keep us from having to use the cortisone because I don't want to get his body addicted to the medicine.  Long term use is bad for your skin.  I hope this helps.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

DS had really bad cradle cap and then we used coconut oil on it and it cleared up almost right away. Still has yet to return. Have you considered trying something other than california baby? I personally am not a fan of them and thats a whole other topic :p

Good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I feel your pain.  My DS is blond, blue-eyed and really pale.  His poor head is so dry and covered in flakes.  We tried vegetable oil last night at the recommendation of his pedi.  We rubbed it into his head and let it sit for about 15 minutes and then took a comb and lightly combed through his hair to try and lift the flakes.

His head was still flakey when he woke up this morning, but it feels softer. I'm assuming it is going to take some time.

He also had the red, scaley skin.  We got a prescription of Vanicream, but I really don't think it does much.  His face will feel better for a while but it never goes away.

Of course, it doesn't help where we live - Colorado Springs - the driest place on the planet.  I miss the East Coast and the humidity!  Never thought I would say that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

DD has cradle cap as well which is making her lose her hair on the top of her head (poor girl looks like a little old man with a receding hair line).  She also has patchy areas on her arms but they aren't red.  We're doing baby oil on the head, letting it sit for 15 mins then brushing with a soft baby brush during bath time with baby shampoo to get the oil out.  It seems to be working (we only bathe every other night so it's probably taking longer than it should). 

I did try Aveeno Baby lotion for eczema and that just made her break out and get red after 1 application so we immediately stopped that. Right now we're putting Aquaphor (same thing we use on her daily to prevent diaper rash) on the elbows so we'll see how that helps.

• Options
    My DS has cradle cap and excema as well.  I just use a soft brush with Aveeno excema wash in the tub and that seems to keep it under control.  It hasn't totally gotten rid of it though.  For the excema, his pediatrician recommended Aquaphor.  You have to put it on every couple of hours though.  Doing this has helped the excema a lot.  But, as soon as I forget to put it on, it comes back.  
  • Options
    In my opinion, the cradle cap seem to go hand in hand with my son's eczema. We use only Baby Aveeno products for his bath and Baby Aveeno Eczema lotion for his skin. We mix the lotion with 1% hydrocortisone cream and apply it to any red patchy areas whether they be on his body, face or head. The pedi also prescribed an ointment to put on him to maintain his skin after the inflammation has subsided but I can't think of the name right at this moment. 
    image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My son had really bad cradle cap and eczema and was recommended to check out The Original Sprout website. I was able to get some of the lotion and it did wonders. Literally the next day his skin everywhere was all cleared up and his scalp looked a ton better. I use it on him twice a day still and he has the softest skin and no more cradle cap.
    DS#1 born 3/10/10 @ 9 lbs. 7 oz. DS#2 born 11/4/11 @ 9 lbs. 6 oz. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My son has both cradle cap and eczema.  For the cradle cap I have been putting olive oil on it and letting it sit for 20 mins or so and then combing it off with a fine tooth comb.  It hasn't come back since I did this about two weeks ago.  For the eczema on his face hydrocortisone does work quickly, but one other weird thing a friend suggested to me that has worked wonders is putting a thick coat of plain old lanolin (I used the lansinoh nipple cream) and it clears it up over night.  It is sticky and he hates it when I apply it, but it is so gentle and works really well.  Good luck!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMommy to two angel babies, 6w4d on 10/21/08 and 8w2d on 2/22/09. I still think of you and miss you every day!
  • Options
    Per our pedi, we used Head and Shoulders when washing his hair and rubbed it with a soft baby brush.  It started working right away and was gone in about 2 weeks.
  • Options
    Coconut oil, brush, shampoo with baby aquaphor wash. For skin I used aquaphor on her right after a bath so it locked in the moisture. I used coconut oil too. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

This is exactly what I have been going through with my LO. We had blood tests done and she has allergies to eggs, peanuts and cats. I stopped nursing and it has helped some, but it also keeps returning. I just have her on a strict regime every day. the pedi says it will clear up and to just keep doing what I'm doing.

We use the 2.5% hydrocortisone cream 2x a day until the breakouts stop and her face thankfully has cleared up, she had raw sores on her face. On all other parts of her body where she doesn't have any dermatitis I just use Aveeno cream and aquaphor, it seems to help prevent any dry skin/breakouts. Her cradle cap isn't really getting better though, it comes and goes. Still trying to figure that one out! Good luck. If you find something that works for the cradle cap, let me know!  LO has to wear mittens to bed so she doesn't scratch in her sleep =[

• Options
    jb2rnjb2rn member

what does your doctor say?

my son has had bad cradle cap and a spotty (although not itchy - it's not excema) rash in his groin, under his neck, back of elbows and behind knees.

the pedi saw him and said it was sebhorric (sp?) dermatitis. He prescribed a steriod cream, Desonide, which worked great. Much better than hydrocortisone. We are also using Head and Shoulders clinical strength in the dark blue bottle per his reccomendation.

So far it's working really well. Olive oil on his scalp helped  a bunch but then it just came back.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Options
    Olive oil! Rub it in the scalp and then brush with a soft hair brush. When you first start brushing you'll think that the oil has made it worse because so many flakes come out. But just wash his hair at bath time with just a wet wash cloth and it works miracles. LO might smell like a chicken cutlet but keep it up for a few days and it will help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"