Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Moms who pump

I am just pumping, LO wouldnt latch on to my breast. On top of that I am not making very much so we are supplementing. I am making more now... but still I feel like I should be making more. He will be 3 weeks old on Tuesday and I am getting between 2-3oz every time I pump which is every 3 hours for 20 minutes.

How does your supply work... does it slowly increase? How much were you getting around the 3 week mark?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Moms who pump

• I EP. DS was born at 35 weeks and just never got the nursing thing. I think your milk amount sounds about right for your baby's age. Make sure you drink lots of fluids and eat healthy. My supply dropped after a GI bug and never picked up. Then I started taking fenugreek capsules to increase my supply. They have helped so much. I would try those. Good luck. And remember that any breast milk you can give your baby is great.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i am not pumping much this time around, but i didn't get more than 4-5 ozs when i pumped and that was good if i did.  i have a medela electric pump but it still wasn't as effective as nursing for me for getting milk.  idk i guess my boobs hold milk well, i never had any trouble with leaking.  your supply will increase if you pump more, you know supply & demand.  ok i don't think my post is really answering you question very well but you might try posting this on the breastfeeding board, the ladies over there are very knowledgeable & helpful.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • FTM here so I have a lot of the same questions as you.

But my LO is 11 days old and I EP as well (not a good latch with LO). I usually pump 4-5 times per day. It takes me about 5 minutes til I'm empty and I usually get 4-5 oz. I have no idea where this puts me comparatively, but LO is getting 22-24 oz per day.

Hope that helps! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Thats a decent amount considering a pump is not as effective.  Do you think you could keep trying for a latch?  Sometimes as they mature they are better and more developed and can figure it out.  It could help your supply a lot if you pumped and had him nurse since he can more effectively drain your boob and signal you need more milk.  I can effectively ask your question my milk can go up and down day to day. So I imagine it would vary from person to person.  You could also try pumping every two hours.
  • I thought about trying to BF again, but I am going back to work full time soon so he will be getting the bottle most of the day so I wasnt sure it was worth the effort from both of us. He would get so fustrated from being hungry and I would get upset from him being upset.

• imagebingham101:

I thought about trying to BF again, but I am going back to work full time soon so he will be getting the bottle most of the day so I wasnt sure it was worth the effort from both of us. He would get so fustrated from being hungry and I would get upset from him being upset.

It's definitely worth it to keep trying to bf. Have you seen a lactation consultant? 

• imageAshley&Scott:
    imagebingham101:

I thought about trying to BF again, but I am going back to work full time soon so he will be getting the bottle most of the day so I wasnt sure it was worth the effort from both of us. He would get so fustrated from being hungry and I would get upset from him being upset.

It's definitely worth it to keep trying to bf. Have you seen a lactation consultant? 

Yes, I saw the consultant at the hospital and then we had a follow up phone call. I am waiting til its been a week.. so Tuesday I will follow up with her again. I might look in to some supplements for me to take to increase my milk.

• I take Domperidone to increase my supply & it's worked wonders. It's expensive & you need Rx from your doctor but worth it & still cheaper each month than formula. Good luck! Also, try hot shower before you pump. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My supply dipped and I looked back and found it was because I wasn't eating well enough or taking in enough fluids. That's SO important. Also, I started drinking two cups of the Mother's Milk tea, and am taking Fenugreek capsules (you can get them at Whole Foods) and I generally get about 20 oz in a day. LO right now takes about that much, so for now we're right on target. :)

Eat!  Eat, eat, eat...and drink lots of water.

• I also notice a significant increase if I eat oatmeal
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"