Multiples

Helmet...Anyone with experience?

We recently went to a pediatric plastic surgeon who said that DS1 would benefit from 3 or 4 months with a helmet. We're going to get a second opinion. I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with this. I don't think his head is that bad at all, but since the boys are ID, I feel like we should do it because everyone will compare him to his brother, if that makes any sense. But, I also don't want to put him through something like that just for cosmetic purposes. Just looking for other people's experiences...Thanks.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Helmet...Anyone with experience?

• I completly disagree that helmet therapy to correct an abnormally shaped head that can lead to vision and jaw problems down the road is purely cosmetic. People don't think twice about getting braces to fix their kids crooked teeth but fixing an abnormal head is an indulgence to vanity?!? DS #1 needed 2 DOC Bands by Cranial Tech to correct a severe (20mm) of asymmetry. Looking back I don't know why I agonized over it, it was totally the right decision. It was way harder on his parents than it was for him. Wink He didn't miss a beat. Now his head and facial features are symmetrical, his ears are still off but I think that is only something that his mommy will ever notice. But is sure makes finding sun glasses for him hard. Let me know if you have questions. Also check out the yahoo plagio group, it is very informative. https://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Plagiocephaly/

ETA: If the flat spot is mild or symetrical there is a very good chance that it will correct on its own. I would definetly get a 2nd opinion but always trust your mommy intuition!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • One of my girls had a helmet (not a DOC band but an actual helmet).  And I am sooo glad we did it.  I didnt notice a difference but when we saw the dr, he pointed out things to us that we could then notice.  Her head shape was asymmetrical so if we didnt do anything, then it would have caused her issues later down the line.

Of course it doesnt hurt to get a second opinion.  My DD wore it for 7 mths and I dont regret it at all.  She got used to it right away and it didnt slow her down one bit.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageHopeful1!:

I completly disagree that helmet therapy to correct an abnormally shaped head that can lead to vision and jaw problems down the road is purely cosmetic. People don't think twice about getting braces to fix their kids crooked teeth but fixing an abnormal head is an indulgence to vanity?!? DS #1 needed 2 DOC Bands by Cranial Tech to correct a severe (20mm) of asymmetry. Looking back I don't know why I agonized over it, it was totally the right decision. It was way harder on his parents than it was for him. Wink He didn't miss a beat. Now his head and facial features are symmetrical, his ears are still off but I think that is only something that his mommy will ever notice. But is sure makes finding sun glasses for him hard. Let me know if you have questions. Also check out the yahoo plagio group, it is very informative. https://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Plagiocephaly/

ETA: If the flat spot is mild or symetrical there is a very good chance that it will correct on its own. I would definetly get a 2nd opinion but always trust your mommy intuition!

It's very mild - the doctor told us that there would be no consequences down the road if we decided not to do it, no vision issues, no jaw problems. I know it's not always purely cosmetic, but I believe in our situation, it is. He did tell us that by his age now it wouldn't correct itself any further - I'm not sure if that's true.

• imagemstopka:
    imageHopeful1!:

I completly disagree that helmet therapy to correct an abnormally shaped head that can lead to vision and jaw problems down the road is purely cosmetic. People don't think twice about getting braces to fix their kids crooked teeth but fixing an abnormal head is an indulgence to vanity?!? DS #1 needed 2 DOC Bands by Cranial Tech to correct a severe (20mm) of asymmetry. Looking back I don't know why I agonized over it, it was totally the right decision. It was way harder on his parents than it was for him. Wink He didn't miss a beat. Now his head and facial features are symmetrical, his ears are still off but I think that is only something that his mommy will ever notice. But is sure makes finding sun glasses for him hard. Let me know if you have questions. Also check out the yahoo plagio group, it is very informative. https://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Plagiocephaly/

It's very mild - the doctor told us that there would be no consequences down the road if we decided not to do it, no vision issues, no jaw problems. I know it's not always purely cosmetic, but I believe in our situation, it is. He did tell us that by his age now it wouldn't correct itself any further - I'm not sure if that's true.

Your LOs is 5 months old? I think there is absolutely a good chance that there will be improvement as he spends more time off of his back. Keep in mind that if his head is off by a few mm, as he grows and his head gets bigger a few mm difference won't be as noticable. Also, his hair will get thicker making it even more difficult to detect minor asymmetry. Does your LO have torticollis? If so physical therapy can also greatly improve head shape.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Yes, they're 5 months. Doc said they won't change much after 4 months. No, no torticollis. I wish I could remember the measurements, but my brain is mush. Sad
  • We recently finished DOC bands on both my boys.  They both had brachycephaly with some aysmmetry.  Their treatment was less than 6 weeks since they are so young and growing so quickly.  I wouldn't do it if it was purely for cosmetic reasons, but mine were labeled moderate-severe.  The insurance would only for it if they had asymmetry and I definitely wasn't going to pay $3800 a helmet for it.  I am 100% glad we did it.  We went through Cranial Technologies.
  • Ian needed a helmet, he had it for just under 3 months. His asymmetry was 16mm at 4 months, we tried physical therapy for torticollis for 2 months and only got a 3mm change. Choosing the helmet was the best decision we made. The only time it bugged him was when we took it on and off for a bath (and later for bed/naps while he was weaning off of it). Our boys are ID, but you could totally tell them apart easily based on head shape before the helmet. Now, you can't use head shape to tell them apart anymore. DH and I can easily tell them apart, but everyone else mixes them up, all because the helmet made such a difference. Now he won't have any questions about why his head looks different from his brother. Even if it's just cosmetic like your plastic surgeon is saying in your case, you have to ask yourself if you'll feel guilty for not doing it later. You only have a few more months were your LO will benefit from it, so if you choose not to do it, you can't correct it later (unlike braces, which you can get if you want as an adult). I'm sure you'll make the best decision for you and your family.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • One of my boys wore a helmet for 3 months.  Honestly it wasn't a big deal at all.  E didn't mind wearing it.   He is 21 months now and I barely remember him wearing it.  I'm glad we did it.  I wouldn't want to look at his wonky shaped head and regret not doing something that could have fixed it. 
    IVF #3 10/09 BFP! 12dp3dt Beta #1 = 319 14dp3dt Beta #2 = 565 21dp3dt Beta #3 = 10,475! u/s showed twins!! IVF 12/12 BFP! image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageLakeGenevaBride:
    One of my boys wore a helmet for 3 months.  Honestly it wasn't a big deal at all.  E didn't mind wearing it.   He is 21 months now and I barely remember him wearing it.  I'm glad we did it.  I wouldn't want to look at his wonky shaped head and regret not doing something that could have fixed it. 

This. Mine wore his for about 3 months when he was around 9 months old. It didn't phase him a bit. We did it because his measurements were off and insurance covered it. I still think his head could be more rounded out, but it's a lot better and I'm glad we did it. I'm the one who pushed for it, because I thought his head was really flat - everyone told me not to worry, but when it was measured it was a lot worse than it looked.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"