3rd Trimester

When do babies (typically) go head down?

Just wondering what the "average" is for when babies turn and jockey into position?

Re: When do babies (typically) go head down?

• I *believe* it is typically around 29-30 weeks, but it can change at any time.  I knew a mom whose baby was head down until week 37, then the baby flipped transverse.  The baby went back to head down on her own a day before the mom's water broke and she went into labor. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageABeautifulMind:
    I *believe* it is typically around 29-30 weeks, but it can change at any time.  I knew a mom whose baby was head down until week 37, then the baby flipped transverse.  The baby went back to head down on her own a day before the mom's water broke and she went into labor. 

Interesting that the baby was still able to flip around that far along and that the baby still had space to flip the day she went into labor..

Anyway, my OB says baby usually gets into the head down position around 29-30 weeks. He says after 36 weeks it could be difficult due to space issues. 

• Loading the player...
  • My baby has been head down since 28 weeks, and has shown no signs of flipping, it is so low now it would take some major gymnastics on its part to flip now there is barely any room left!!
  • My baby is breech and has been since 28 weeks. My Dr said if she didn't rurn by week 36, week would need to discuss options...which I know will be an external version or a scheduled c section. While they can turn after week 36, it is harder because there is less room.
    ttc since 10-09 first visit with RE 09-10 ME-everything ok DH- AZOOSPERMIA...biopsy confirmed Sertoli Only Cell syndrome Donor IUI#4 was the charm (8-27-11) with 125iuFollistim/Ovidrel/Endometrin/PIO/vit D beta #1 9/8/11....BFP!!! : ) @ 47.7 beta...#2 9/15/11... 1,998 beta#3 9/22/2011- 27,900 Baby's hb seen @6w2d ! 1-3-2012 20 wk u/s everything lookin' good! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagedrbethc:

imageABeautifulMind:
    I *believe* it is typically around 29-30 weeks, but it can change at any time.  I knew a mom whose baby was head down until week 37, then the baby flipped transverse.  The baby went back to head down on her own a day before the mom's water broke and she went into labor. 

Interesting that the baby was still able to flip around that far along and that the baby still had space to flip the day she went into labor..

Anyway, my OB says baby usually gets into the head down position around 29-30 weeks. He says after 36 weeks it could be difficult due to space issues. 

Yeah, the midwives my friend used said the same thing.  Space is so tight at that point you typically don't see a baby flip that late and then to flip AGAIN in the right position . . . crazy!

ETA: spelling

• It's supposed to happen around 30 weeks. My baby didn't get the memo: week 39 still breech. My c-section is 4/4. Having said that, don't be discouraged bc only 10% of babies are breech near their due date. 
  • I just had a doctors appt. yesterday and when the doctor felt my stomach and he told me the baby was already head down. 
  • Our MFM said at 34 weeks they get concerned that they won't flip on their own. I am at 37 weeks and if she is still breech at our u/s appt Tuesday we will be scheduling a c-section.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My LO was breech all pregnancy long, turned head down at 32 weeks and then flipped back breech a few days later. He has been head down since 34 weeks though. My OB said we'd discuss an external version at 37 weeks if he hadn't flipped.

I did a few of the exercises on SpinningBabies.com, and I think that helped him flip. I also played music super low in my crotch area (someone swore to me this turned her baby) and talked to my belly at night telling him what I wanted him to do, lol.

• My LO has noticably changed positions four times within the last two weeks. Head down, to totally horizontal, then back to head down posterior, then back to horizontal (not confortable by the way). Then last night the baby moved back to head down mostly anterior with its back and buttocks on my right side and legs and arms interior and towards the right side.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"