Stay at Home Moms

spaghettios

Do your LOs eat spaghettios or beefaroni/ chef boyardee type meals?

I'm trying to make healthier foods since DS is starting to eat some table foods.  My SIL mentioned to try this for lunches sometimes.  I said something to my friend about it and she was appaled!

Opinions?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: spaghettios

• MJCFMJCF member
    He doesn't eat them regularly but I will let him have some every once in a while. There's a lot of sodium in them so that's not so good. The only time he has them is when I eat them which isn't often but sometimes I just want them. Yea, I admit it. I like Spaghettios. Haha. If he doesn't have them all the time I don't think it's a big deal. I'm in the everything in moderation camp though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My kids won't eat them. I was at my mom's house one evening and she was watching my nephew (he loves chef boyardee) and my mom made my DD some too. I told my mom, that DD probably won't like it and I'd make her something else. My mom said 'all kids like chef boyardee!' I said, 'well, she can try it and we'll go from there'

DD took one bite and spit it out and told my mom it was yucky.

I chalk it up to the fact DD likes 'real' pasta meals. She will chow down at any Italian restuarant we go to. DD's fav meal is fettucine alfredo. She loves parmesam cheese- she will eat it plain.

DD is a foodie.

• Loading the player...
  • I have given it to DD.  She LOVES spaghetti type meals.  But I realized it would be so much cheaper and probably better for her if I just threw some pasta or ravioli in a pot and heat up some jarred sauce.  So that's what I do now.
  • I don't like those items so I've never fed them to DS. He loves spaghetti so about once a week I make a pot and keep it in the fridge to portion out and reheat. Just as easy IMO.

I did buy him some Earth's Best (or was it Annie's?) spaghettio type thing once and he wouldn't eat it.

I wouldn't judge you for feeding it to your kid though ;) I just don't always think to feed him stuff I don't like myself!

• Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageamy052006:

Well, there is a lot of sodium, that is true.  That being said, I keep some Annie's canned stuff on hand, and will very occasionally give him that if DH and I are running around getting ready to go out.  I justify it to myself that is is (slightly) lower in sodium and has better ingredients.

I definitely wouldn't use that stuff as a staple of his diet, but on rare occasions when he isn't eating with us, we are rushed, and I know he ate healthy stuff the rest of the day, to me it is no big deal. 

Exactly this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I spend some time making DD stuff like that, putting it in take and toss containers and then in freezer bag, and freezing them.  I sit them out the day before I am going to feed her.  I just used tiny shells, tomato sauce and seasoning.  She has had the canned ravioli 2 or 3 times, but we are trying to eat healthier as a family, so I rarely buy them.  She has also eaten the gerber raviolis some.
    photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nope but Tay doesn't like tomato sauce either.
  • every once in a while, sure.

I'm trying really hard to avoid processed foods lately though. It's been a slow process over the past 4 years, but I'm getting there ;) We had a guest speaker talk to our mom's group a few weeks ago and statistics are showing that this generation of kids is the first expected NOT to outlive their parents! Sad! It's for a variety of reasons, including obesity, the way our food is different now (even fresh), processed foods being a big one (nutrients are vastly different), etc...

Anyway, that was much more then you asked for. My reasons to avoid it are mainly for the preservatives and crap that's in there, as well as BPA in canned foods (everyone got all upset about BPA in baby bottles, but they're not worried about it in canned foods. A resent study showed that eating 1 can of soup a day for 1 week raised adults BPA levels by something crazy like 1000% (yes with 3 0s!) So between that and the preservatives and all the sodium, I'm trying to eliminate canned foods from our diet.

But that doesn't mean I don't still serve it every once in a while. Days where we're rushed or I'm feeling really lazy or whatever, sure. Just not every day, or even every week.

ETA: just because I feel like I need to add this disclaimer on here now ;) I'm really not all anal about it or judge others to do it...nutrition is just a huge interest of mine, and I love cooking, so I just do what I know and what I enjoy. If I were at a playgroup and someone served that, I'd dig right in and have a few bowls myself. I love that stuff! But I also know that it's not "healthy". 

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • Thank you all for the opinions.  I am not against giving it, but would want to do so in moderation and not routinely.

Im aware of the preservetives and excess sodium, but didn't realize how unhealthy it was as some OP have mentioned.

I appreciate your advice :)

• Kel isn't eating that type of stuff yet (see my post about my fear of allergies lol), but once he is, I will probably stay away from them for the most part, but I have no problem having a can or two as a backup.  I fully believe in the everything is ok in moderation line of thinking.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Occassionally.  If I don't want to put much thought into lunch I'll break a can of chef boyardee out.  She loves them.  Everything in moderation.

• We do the Trader Joe's organic occasionally. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No. Those have a terribly high sodium content and pretty much no nutritional value. My MIL offered them once despite my protests and the girls each took one bite and asked to be excused from the table, so even if I would consider it my girls apparently don't like that stuff.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Once every few months. Only when she asks for it at the grocery store and it's on sale

. It's just as easy to cook cheese tortellini and put a little sauce or butter and parmesan. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"