Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Help me with my schedule...bottle to sippy transition?

Below is the schedule for my DD on a typical day:

7:15am - 6 oz. bottle

9am - yogurt

10:15am - 6 oz. bottle

12pm - 4.5 oz. purees

1:15pm - 6 oz. bottle

4:15pm - 6 oz. bottle

6:00pm - 4.5 oz. purees & bites of food from our dinner plates

7:30pm - 6 oz. bottle & then bed for the night.

Okay...so I feel like since she is nearing the 12 month mark, I should be getting her more prepared for the sippy cup and for more food. She currently uses a straw sippy cup with water in it but will only drink a few sips at a time and not often. She isn't a big eater either. I've tried many foods besides purees. But I  know she needs to move off the baby food soon enough.

Experienced parents - what would you do? How would you alter her schedule? Any suggestions on the sippy cup? Did you chunk the bottles at a year? Any help is appreciated. TIA!!!

Re: Help me with my schedule...bottle to sippy transition?

• Options
    I am in the same boat. ::waits patiently for replies::
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    EcyEcy member

imagePartiallySunny:
    I am in the same boat. ::waits patiently for replies::

Lol, I know! Where are the replies?! Maybe it's a question that is asked too much or maybe I just didn't ask it right...

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Well, I was just going to try to switch one bottle at a time out with WM in a sippy cup and see what happens.

I thought any additional suggestions would have been nice, lol.

Edit: The foods things has been throwing me for a loop. LO eats 2 bites and throws it on the floor. Or just throws it on the floor. I keep trying, but all he really eats is the purees.

• Options
    EcyEcy member
    imagePartiallySunny:

Well, I was just going to try to switch one bottle at a time out with WM in a sippy cup and see what happens.

Edit: The foods things has been throwing me for a loop. LO eats 2 bites and throws it on the floor. Or just throws it on the floor. I keep trying, but all he really eats is the purees.

Yep! This is us too with the food. When were you going to start switching out the bottles to WM? Before a year or after?

• Options
    imageEcy:
    imagePartiallySunny:

Yep! This is us too with the food. When were you going to start switching out the bottles to WM? Before a year or after?

After. I was want to wait until he was eating more solids before switching. I figure right now he is still getting most of his vitamins and such from the formula.
  • Options

We started switching from bottles to sippy cup two weeks ago. I just started offering him milk in the sippy cup instead of the bottle. If he fussed about it and wanted a bottle instead I'd let him have a bottle instead. I don't want to turn this into a battle yet. Right now he has replaced his two daytime bottles with sippy cups, and only has a morning and bedtime bottle.

He doesn't drink as much from a sippy, but at 12 months they are supposed to reduce the amount of milk anyway. One way I can get him to sit and drink larger amounts from a sippy is to sit and read a book together. He loves reading books right now and will sit forever reading the same book over and over. So we sit and read a book while he drinks his milk.

We already started switching to WCM. I know it's a bit early, but I was on our last tub of formula and I didn't want buy more. Right now he's getting 2oz of formula mixed with 2-3 oz of WCM.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I can't say that I am "experienced" but I have to say that it looks like you are introducing a "snack" schedule.  The only bad thing about that is it will be harder for both of you to transition out of bottles/formula.  I would recommend offering the sippy as much as you can.  I would offer it to her at other times of the day too, just to see if she will try it.  When she is ready she will drink out of it.  My DD doesn't understand the straw kind, so we use Nuk brand that has a bottle like nipple on it.

**I didn't really read other responses, so sorry if there are repeats here. 

First, I would move the bottles closer to the solid foods.  This way, when it's time to cut out formula all the time, it won't be a shock.  Here is my DD schedule:

8am- 8oz bottle, followed by a fruit or yogurt

Noon- 8oz bottle, followed by a fruit or veggie, grilled cheese, or something similar

4pm/5pm depending on her nap- 8oz bottle, followed by dinner that is similar to ours (or something made for her like pasta, potatoes, with a veggie/fruit)

7pm- 8oz bottle, right now this is the bottle she has started not wanting or finishing.  So, I started giving her formula in a sippy at this time.  After a week, she now drinks about 4 oz.  We then give her a bath and get ready for bed.  She is in bed by or right before 8pm.

Friends of mine suggested her drinking formula out of a sippy for the last bottle since she was starting to "push" it away before she went to bed.  It has been working, and if she is hungry, she gets all 8oz in the sippy.  

I hope this helps . . . I would start working on moving her feeding schedule to line up like breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  Once you do that, I think things will become easier and you two can eat the same things!! Have fun with it and offer her things like apples and cinnamon or pepper on her veggies.  As long as there aren't any allergies in your family, now is the time to try new things.  Remember to give it to her 4 times though.   Good luck.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    kas80kas80 member
    My pedi said to start offering the sippy cup with every meal and throughout the day to them.  Eventually they'll get the hang of it.  Then once they are consistantly drinking out of it start switching one feeding at a time over.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    EcyEcy member
    Thank you so much!!! It makes complete sense to start putting the food & bottles together, so I am definitely going to start that. Great ideas :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"