Attachment Parenting
Options

walking while babywearing?

my daughter is due any day now (!) and i want to get out and take her for walks as soon as i am up to it. i have a ring sling (french twill from SBP) and a Moby wrap.

the weather right now if in the mid to high 70s, and i imagine it's going to keep getting warmer. which wrap should i use when walking? i suspect the moby could get quite warm, but i don't know about how much cooler the ring sling will be for her. (cooler for me, though)

that also brings up the unrelated question of sun exposure. i have heard you should not use sunscreen on newborns. should i carry an umbrella or something?

this is hard.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: walking while babywearing?

• Options

I think the carrier will depend on which is most comfortable for you. You can strip baby down to her diaper and walk. Gage her temp by feeling the back of her neck. You can do a FWCC with the Moby instead of the normal Moby hold with the cummerbund on the outside and then cross the rails under her bum so you only have one layer of fabric over her back.

Babies need vitamin D just like the rest of us, so just monitor the sun exposure. If you are walking in a shady area with patches of sun, IMO it is fine if the sunny moments add up to 10-15 min per day. If you are walking in full sun, I would limit the walk to that time limit or try your umbrella idea (clever!).

• Options

I really think it's going to depend on personal preference.  Early on I preferred a wrap for walking because it feels a bit more secure.  If you do what pp mentioned and do a FWCC, that will help with the heat for your baby, but not much for you. I really didn't mind the heat with the Moby until it got above 85 or 90 or so, but I'm used to it being pretty warm around here, and nothing compared with pregnancy during the summer.  If you are really concerned about the sun, you can buy packets of UV protection for fabrics at places like Joanns.  You just toss the packet into the wash with your fabric and it lasts like 15 or 20 washes (I never had to wash my wraps that many times!)  Your LO will be mostly covered in the early couple months, so that can offer a little extra protection if you plan on being outside a lot.  But, a little bit of sunshine w/o protection is good too!

This is from the AAP website about sunscreen use: ' Babies under 6 months of age should be kept out of direct sunlight. Move your baby to the shade under a tree, umbrella or stroller canopy. It is okay to apply a small amount of sunscreen on infants under 6 months if there is no way to avoid the sun. Remember it takes 15-30 minutes to be effective."

And another:  "With the commercial availability of sunscreens for children, we are frequently asked by parents and by our colleagues in Pediatrics, "What sunscreen should be used on babies under 6 months?" Our answer is simple. "None." Although there is no evidence to suggest that sunscreens are harmful to infants, there is no compelling reason for infants less than 6 months to have sun exposure prolonged enough to require sunscreens. Babies younger than 6 months are not mobile and will not be exposed to the sun unless placed there."

I personally would recommend a sunscreen that is chemical-free.  California Baby works well for us, and it is pretty easy to find.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageAnanke:

I really think it's going to depend on personal preference.  Early on I preferred a wrap for walking because it feels a bit more secure.  If you do what pp mentioned and do a FWCC, that will help with the heat for your baby, but not much for you. I really didn't mind the heat with the Moby until it got above 85 or 90 or so, but I'm used to it being pretty warm around here, and nothing compared with pregnancy during the summer.  If you are really concerned about the sun, you can buy packets of UV protection for fabrics at places like Joanns.  You just toss the packet into the wash with your fabric and it lasts like 15 or 20 washes (I never had to wash my wraps that many times!)  Your LO will be mostly covered in the early couple months, so that can offer a little extra protection if you plan on being outside a lot.  But, a little bit of sunshine w/o protection is good too!

This is from the AAP website about sunscreen use: ' Babies under 6 months of age should be kept out of direct sunlight. Move your baby to the shade under a tree, umbrella or stroller canopy. It is okay to apply a small amount of sunscreen on infants under 6 months if there is no way to avoid the sun. Remember it takes 15-30 minutes to be effective."

And another:  "With the commercial availability of sunscreens for children, we are frequently asked by parents and by our colleagues in Pediatrics, "What sunscreen should be used on babies under 6 months?" Our answer is simple. "None." Although there is no evidence to suggest that sunscreens are harmful to infants, there is no compelling reason for infants less than 6 months to have sun exposure prolonged enough to require sunscreens. Babies younger than 6 months are not mobile and will not be exposed to the sun unless placed there."

I personally would recommend a sunscreen that is chemical-free.  California Baby works well for us, and it is pretty easy to find.

i have never heard of such a thing! i'll have to look for some, it's sounds great.
    i was considering getting the california baby brand if i did use sunscreen, so it's nice to know it works :)

thanks a lot, you are full of useful info!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"