Baby Names

Titus??

DH and I are early in the naming process.  We really like the idea of an older name (something clearly not made-up) with relatively easy spelling.  We also want to stay out of the top ~50-100ish names.  (Both DH and I have names in the top 25 for our birth years and have always shared our names with classmates/coworkers)  For a boy, it is essential to DH that there be an easy nickname that we like as well.  Which brings me to...

Titus (NN: Ty)

If you were to stereotype, what type of person fits with the name Titus? 

Thanks!! 

imageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Titus??

• A big brute of a guy, maybe a football player?
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think Titus is a very strong name, says the lady who named her son Alexander Tiberius. I like Titus. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • It doesn't make me think of a type of person, but I think of the book of Titus in the Bible.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I think of a huge, strong, muscular man. Intelligent, but not overly-friendly.

08.2008 | Diagnosed with PCOS
    11.2011 | First appointment with RE
    12.2011 | HSG reveals 100% blockages in both tubes
    02.2012 | Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy to unblock tubes...success!

{ BFP # 1 | April 1, 2012 }
    Jonah Alexander is here! Born 12.07.12 @ 39w3d

{ BFP # 2 | May 22, 2013 }
    Chemical Pregnancy :(

{ BFP # 3 | February 12, 2014 }
    So far, so good! We love you, little peanut!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagekenna_4:
    A big brute of a guy, maybe a football player?

This 

BFP 03/30/12 | EDD 12/07/12 | DS1 12/01/12
    BFP 06/25/17 | EDD 02/24/18 | DS2 02/19/18
    BFP 12/20/18 | EDD 08/26/19 

• OK... I guess I will call that a win for DH.  He had the "big/burly/strong" feel and I wasn't quite picking up on that.  Since we are both more along the lines of the twiggy mathlete, maybe that might not fit so well for our LO.
    imageimage
  • It makes me think burly, buff, giant warrior type.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'll own up to my immaturity and admit that my first thought was "tight a$$" when I read this post title. I don't care for the name and envision a brutish, bullying type of man. Sorry.
    Mary Jane {12} Kaden {10} Eliza {4} Due Sept. '14

CafeMom Tickers

Considering . . . Agatha, Beatrix, Clara, Daphne, Isadora, Josephine, Matilda, Philippa, Tabitha, Winifred . . .
  • I like it.  Have you considered other New Testament names?  They fit your criteria of being older names with easy spellings (at least some of them do).

Silas

Jude

Felix

Simon

Thaddeus

PhotobucketLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Oh, DH and I also loved Theophilus (nn Theo), but that's probably a bit out there for most people.
    PhotobucketLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageAsOctoberFalls:

I like it.  Have you considered other New Testament names?  They fit your criteria of being older names with easy spellings (at least some of them do).

Silas

Jude

Felix

Simon

Thaddeus

Thanks for the suggestions!  Silas or Simon might work for us.  We really like Jude... but our good friends who are due a month before us just announced their little boy as Jude. Ah well, at least I will get to love on an adorable Jude, even if we have to keep looking for our LO's name.

imageimage
  • i hear Titus and automatically think of my friend's pitbull. so for a kid, i would imagine him to be like brutus from popeye... a big bully type or burly guy... but i do really like Ty... maybe you can do tyson? still call him ty :) even though it's not an "old and traditional" name
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • imageCiderWench:
    I'll own up to my immaturity and admit that my first thought was "tight a$$" when I read this post title. I don't care for the name and envision a brutish, bullying type of man. Sorry.

LOL. It took me a second to realize the connection, but middle school boys probably would be pretty quick with coming up with that one too.  Ah well.  Thanks for the input! 

imageimage
  • I despise the name Titus. DH and I live in a horrible little town called Titusville, and it is absolutely awful. The entire town is failing.
    TTCAL PitaPata Cat tickers PitaPata Cat tickers
  • I thought of a bulldog, but that might be because I know one named Brutus.
  • I first think of the book from the Bible. I love biblical names (especially those that don't end in -ah), but I don't know if I could use this one as a first name. It would definitely work as a middle name, though. 

It seems like an awfully strong name to give to a baby (or a little old man, for that matter).  

• I feel like this name is too much and would be much better for a MN. I agree with most pps.

Names similar in style:

Theophilus, Ramone, Bram/Abram, Maximus, Phillip, Ezra, Dominic, Roman, Dexter, Tanner, Oscar, Maddox, Todd, Joel... (FYI, a name search engine suggested Magnum for you, if you were still questioning if it is a brute sort of name...)

GL choosing!

• My friend's son is named Titus, he's almost 3 and super cute.  But he's also going to be a fairly big guy, his dad played football and he probably will too, kid is ALL boy, so I agree with others assessments.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I personally love the name Titus. My favorite Shakespeare play is Titus Andronicus, I was surprised no other posters mentioned it (but I guess that's cause my BA is in Theatre). I say go for it. It would be in my top 5 if we were having a boy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think of Titus Andronicus and then I think of a guy I know with this name and everyone called him tight assss.
  • imagerobinbirdaz:
    I personally love the name Titus. My favorite Shakespeare play is Titus Andronicus, I was surprised no other posters mentioned it (but I guess that's cause my BA is in Theatre). I say go for it. It would be in my top 5 if we were having a boy.

Ha!  B.S. in Theatre here!  Great play.  Bloody and violent but great.  

• NMS
    Dx PCOS 09/12
    Married my best friend 10/12/12
    TTC 1 since 10/12
    NTNP Fall 2013 to focus on a healthier lifestyle
    Anniversary

• imageLauraJB313:
    OK... I guess I will call that a win for DH. nbsp;He had the "big/burly/strong" feel and I wasn't quite picking up on that. nbsp;Since we are both more along the lines of the twiggy mathlete, maybe that might not fit so well for our LO.

See , I think it sounds kinda booky!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"