Baby Names
Options

Oscar or Axel?

Boy names are impossible for us! Oscar and Axel are my great grandfathers and DH likes both of these names.  I like more modern names.  thoughts??

This is our first baby, (!!!)  Girl name we've agreed on is Riley/ Rylee ("lee" is a family name)
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Oscar or Axel?

• Options

I loooooove Oscar. It's probably my second favorite name. I think Oz is a cute nickname.

I'm not as into Axel. For some reason, I just think of Axe Body Spray and it kind of makes me ill. 

I'd totally use Oscar--the family connection makes it even more awesome.

• Options

Both great names. I'll go with Axel (major bias here, it is DS' name, see pic below), it is the scandinavian variant of the biblical name Absalom. It means "father of peace" or "my father is peace."

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My dogs name is Oscar, and Axel was one of his name choices as well.

NMS, but to each their own 

Those who don't believe in love at first sight, have never given birth
    Big sister meeting little brother for the first time-
    <a href="http://s326.photobucket.com/albums/k409/YellowMiles/?action=view
  • Options

I definitely prefer Oscar over Axel (Axel makes me think of Axl Rose). However, if you like more modern names, you can always use either of those names as a mn.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MPZ born June 2011
    TTC #2 ... Cycle 1-3: IUI = BFN | Cycle 4: IVF ... canceled but 3 snow babies
    Cycle 5: FET .. BFP! | EDD - 3/15/2014
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageflows912:

I definitely prefer Oscar over Axel (Axel makes me think of Axl Rose). However, if you like more modern names, you can always use either of those names as a mn.

I also think of Axl Rose.  Not necessarily a bad thing, since he is awesome.  If I recall correctly, his real name is actually William Axl Rose (leftover trivia from my childhood), which is a nice name: William Axel.  Also, Axel Foley from the Beverly Hills Cop movies, but I think that's long enough ago that you won't have to think about it.

I love Oscar.  If our surname didn't start with an O, that would definitely be a contender. 

mm 2/17/11 * dd born 4/20/12 * bo 1/3/14 * edd 1/211/15 

• Options
    Oscar is growing on me.  I'm a teacher and hear (and make connections with) a TON of names. Oscar happens to be a popular one among the Hispanic kids, so I can't help but say it with a slight accent, which makes my DH and I laugh, since our baby is bound to be blond and fair-- Oscarrrr (rolled R)  Haha :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've never liked Oscar, I'll go with Axel which I think is actually pretty cool (maybe because it reminds me of Axl Rose)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Options

I love Oscar! I find Oz or Ozzie beyond adorable as a nickname.

Axel is also nice--it feels cool and edgy to me. Maybe a little bit TOO much so--but because it's a grandfather, it's totally ok.

I infinitely prefer both these names to "newer" names, FWIW. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Both are great names, but I LOVE Oscar?so, so cute!
    Mary Jane {12} Kaden {10} Eliza {4} Due Sept. '14

CafeMom Tickers

Considering . . . Agatha, Beatrix, Clara, Daphne, Isadora, Josephine, Matilda, Philippa, Tabitha, Winifred . . .
  • Options
    imageMarxieVonTrapp:
    imageflows912:

I also think of Axl Rose.  Not necessarily a bad thing, since he is awesome.  If I recall correctly, his real name is actually William Axl Rose (leftover trivia from my childhood), which is a nice name: William Axel.  Also, Axel Foley from the Beverly Hills Cop movies, but I think that's long enough ago that you won't have to think about it.

I love Oscar.  If our surname didn't start with an O, that would definitely be a contender. 

I never heard that about Axl Rose! I always heard his birth name was William Rose and he made up Axl Rose bc it was an anagram of oral sex. Interesting. 

I will be different and say I love Axel and am meh on Oscar. Oscar reminds me of hot dog jingles and green monsters living in trash cans.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options

My DS's MN is Oscar and it was my grandfather's name, so of course I love Oscar!  I would have used it as a FN, but we followed DH's family tradition of Irish FN for his Irish mother.

Axel makes me thing of Axl Rose like others.  I'm not a fan (of the name, that is.  I did go through a phase of loving GNR, so I'm still a bit of an Axl Rose fan.  :) 

• Options

I vote for Oscar.

Axel reminds me of Axl Rose. He's a tool. I love GnR, but Axl sucks.

• Options
    Love Axel. Dislike Oscar.
  • Options
    imagestrawberrytree:
    imageMarxieVonTrapp:
    imageflows912:

I never heard that about Axl Rose! I always heard his birth name was William Rose and he made up Axl Rose bc it was an anagram of oral sex. Interesting. 

I will be different and say I love Axel and am meh on Oscar. Oscar reminds me of hot dog jingles and green monsters living in trash cans.  

This is what I heard, too. And I'm afraid I will always associate the name (even spelled properly, Axel) with this/him.
    First birth: Natural (med-free) Second birth: Hell, no. Epidural all the way. Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Those are the names of the two favorite kids in my class. I like Oscar better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options
    OSCAR!!
  • Options
    I prefer Oscar.  Axel sounds really harsh to me.
    Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • Options
    Axel!! It's so awesome!! I love it! *Keisha Plays air guitar*
    Kingston Jett has arrived!! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"