Baby Showers
Options

Help with this...4th kid shower???!!! really?

So SIL is having her 4th. New dad and its his first. So I assume a shower will be thrown on his side. MIL wamts to know opinions on having a shower. Youngest child is 6. She has no baby stuff. I'm thinking of suggesting something smaller, like a bbq lunch to celebrate. People will come and most likely bring a gift anyways. I'm sure they will be registered though because of it being his first and his family doing a shower. So how would MILs invitations go? Include registry info or not? Thanks.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Help with this...4th kid shower???!!! really?

• Options

No, do not include registry information.  This is her 4th- she needs to stop expecting her family to stock her up on baby gifts.  not that she literally expects that, but still.... 

If people want to bring something, they will.  But they should NOT feel they have to, and including the registry will absolutely make them feel they have to.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    imageEastCoastBride:

No, do not include registry information.  This is her 4th- she needs to stop expecting her family to stock her up on baby gifts.  not that she literally expects that, but still.... 

If people want to bring something, they will.  But they should NOT feel they have to, and including the registry will absolutely make them feel they have to.

This. Her family has been buying her gifts for her three kids for years.  Shaking them down for another gift is just not right.

If her inlaws want to throw her a shower, that doesn't mean that all of her side has to be invited.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Just to make sure I followed this correctly... Your SIL is your H's sister. Her new H's family is throwing a shower since it's his first kid and your MIL (SIL's mom) feels that she should reciprocate and is asking you for advice on how to do it? I think I got that right...

If your MIL really wants to do this (she doesn't have to, your SIL can likely get her and maybe a few others added to the other shower guest list) I'd try to push her toward something small.

Maybe just take a few girls out to get pedicures and then go out for lunch instead of having an actual shower. Do fun girls-day-out invites (no mention of a shower) and don't include registry information. Make it more about the mom and less about the baby.

• Options
    ccamccam member
    No, I wouldn't include registry information.  If your MIL wants to throw something, it should be more of a sprinkle, although she's not obligated to do anything.  Since this is his first, I could see how his family would want to throw a traditional shower, but that should have no bearing on what your MIL does.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imagesrs5624:
    If your MIL really wants to do this (she doesn't have to, your SIL can likely get her and maybe a few others added to the other shower guest list) I'd try to push her toward something small.

Maybe just take a few girls out to get pedicures and then go out for lunch instead of having an actual shower. Do fun girls-day-out invites (no mention of a shower) and don't include registry information. Make it more about the mom and less about the baby.

Ditto.  Let His family worry about a shower and her family can do a Mom pampering or meet the baby gathering after his/her arrival.

• Options
    imagesrs5624:

Just to make sure I followed this correctly... Your SIL is your H's sister. Her new H's family is throwing a shower since it's his first kid and your MIL (SIL's mom) feels that she should reciprocate and is asking you for advice on how to do it? I think I got that right...

Correct, just its not her H, its a boyfriend. I think MIL will want to do it because she tends to feel competition with the other families, like mine for example. So I wanted good ideas that wouldn't offend guests. I like the idea of something small but I know she will invite all the family....they have tons of aunts/uncles/cousins. So it will have a large number of people which is why I thought maybe just a bbq.
  • Options

imageImThisBabysMom:
    I like the idea of something small but I know she will invite all the family....they have tons of aunts/uncles/cousins. So it will have a large number of people which is why I thought maybe just a bbq.

Then do a BBQ.  That's our plan when DS arrives, a Meet the Baby BBQ, no mention of gifts, I'm not registering anywhere, plus we will then be living close to family so we are really doing a 'Meet the baby and our new place' BYOB BBQ.

• Options
    Thanks for the input everyone! I will make my suggestion of a family BBQ with no registry info included in the invite to MIL. We will see what she prefers to do from there.
  • Options
    They should just do a bbq or diaper party for the dad. Or have a meet the baby party. A shower would seem gift grabby to the extreme.
    Oct Angel Babies Lilypie Maternity tickers BFP #1- 12/7/11 M/C-12/20/11 BFP #2- 2/14/12 EDD- 10/3/12
  • Options
    imagek.martell:

imageImThisBabysMom:
    I like the idea of something small but I know she will invite all the family....they have tons of aunts/uncles/cousins. So it will have a large number of people which is why I thought maybe just a bbq.

Then do a BBQ.  That's our plan when DS arrives, a Meet the Baby BBQ, no mention of gifts, I'm not registering anywhere, plus we will then be living close to family so we are really doing a 'Meet the baby and our new place' BYOB BBQ.

I second this. I see nothing wrong with inviting the whole family, since at the end of the day there is a new family member coming and they'll likely want to celebrate. But as PPs have mentioned, no gifts, and a bbq sounds perfect.

• Options
    imageCraftyKayla:
    They should just do a bbq or diaper party for the dad. Or have a meet the baby party. A shower would seem gift grabby to the extreme.
  • Options

imageCraftyKayla:

I like this idea pamper party bbq

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"