3rd Trimester

Those of you in business-is this a mistake?

I love my job and take my career very seriously.  I always do whatever I?m asked, even if it?s outside my job description.  The company has rewarded me in turn and I?m in a leadership position. Senior leadership has asked that someone from my unit travel along with them to meet some clients- they can technically have the meetings without us, but would really like representation from my unit. I had the appropriate person from my staff lined up, and they backed out. I engaged the backup, and they also backed out.  Now the travel event is scheduled for Monday and I?m really out of appropriate people to send. In the past, I would have offered to go myself by now, but this time I haven?t stepped up. Just looking at the agenda exhausts me. I would need to catch a 5 am flight (and the airport is over an hour away), there?s multiple layovers, and the event itself involves back to back meetings separated by large stretches of driving. I really, really don?t want to go. I?m sure senior leadership, knowing me, expects me to offer to go at this point. But is it ok if I use my pregnancy as an excuse just this once? Those of you who are also in the business world, do I totally suck?  I feel horrible, but the trip sounds like a nightmare.

can't get the ticker to work, but I have two sons:

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv

Re: Those of you in business-is this a mistake?

• I would trust your instincts and not attend.  I think your reputation will speak for itself, and your superiors will understand why you can't go this time. 
  • like pp said, trust your instincts... I would just tell them under the circumstances, you cannot attend at this point in time due to how far along you are in your pregnancy to be exerting that much energy for this work trip... I am sure they would understand if you said something about it... I wouldn't just not say anything... GL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I would NOT go, and use your doctor as the scapegoat...he/she may not think it's a good idea this far along in your pg.
    Lionyl Osborne "Lio" is here! May 23rd 2012 at 2:54am 8lbs 4oz 21inches Born at 37weeks 6days
    DD #1 born 9/3/2003 - 8 years old - 3rd grade!
    DD #2 born 3/22/2007 - 5 years old - in full time preschool

• imagetheabbey5:
    I would NOT go, and use your doctor as the scapegoat...he/she may not think it's a good idea this far along in your pg.

This!!!  I would definitly say something....if you don't it will look bad.  But explain that you are too far along and your doctor has advised against it.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Pull the pregnancy card for sure.  Your doctor doesn't allow travel in the 3rd trimester or whatever.  They won't say a word.
  • SigirSigir member

HI there,

I am also in a high level position at work, and honestly, if I were in this position I would offer to go.  When I have to travel for business I can sometimes get comp days in exchange, where I rest and re-cooperate.  Can you do something like that?

I already know that the company is going to suffer during my maternity leave, so I am trying to do as much as I can to help out prior to that.  If this was something that would put my health in danger I would decline, but if not I would offer to go.  I am also 30 weeks, so I know that travel stinks (just got back from a trip), but it is the reality of my job.

It's up to you and how you are feeling, but that is my opinion. 

• imageSigir:

HI there,

I am also in a high level position at work, and honestly, if I were in this position I would offer to go.  When I have to travel for business I can sometimes get comp days in exchange, where I rest and re-cooperate.  Can you do something like that?

I already know that the company is going to suffer during my maternity leave, so I am trying to do as much as I can to help out prior to that.  If this was something that would put my health in danger I would decline, but if not I would offer to go.  I am also 30 weeks, so I know that travel stinks (just got back from a trip), but it is the reality of my job.

I'm on the fence -- you really need to go with your gut about this. On one hand, you are still early enough in the 3rd trimester that you could potentially do it, if you've had a complications-free pregnancy. However, that said, nothing is more important that your and your baby's health. Really weight the situation and decide if you "need" to go, or if you just feel responsible. We tend to always want to put the most on ourselves.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I dont know if I totally agree with the PP about this.  I'm super sluggish this late in my pregnancy, but if I was in a leadership position and the head of a team, I would step up if everyone backed out on me.  That's what taking on a leadership role means.  If nobody else is willing to do it, you got promoted because they knew they could count on you to be willing and able.  If its a harm to your baby to step in, then I would say it isnt worth the risk.  But if it's just about not wanting to have a long day...I dont know if I would use my pregnancy as an excuse.  However, I'm a lawyer, so not technically in "business" per se.  Plus, it's a bit cut throat in my field and if I were to say no, I may be out of a job by the time I come back off of disability...  Good luck! 
  • I'm not in business, so I don't have any advice along those lines.  However, I just went on a cross country trip that ended at 28 weeks pregnant.  I got home three days ago and am still just beat.  My  trip was for a vacation, and pretty low key, in general, but it really hit me hard.
  • imageSigir:

HI there,

I agree. It would be one thing if you were 37+ weeks, but at 30 weeks I would offer to go (even if I really really really didn't want to)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My birthson who came before I was ready. He doesn't call me mom but I love him just the same. ~7/10/99~
  • imagetheabbey5:
    I would NOT go, and use your doctor as the scapegoat...he/she may not think it's a good idea this far along in your pg.

Yes Go with this

• Don't go.  It's exhausting for me to drive an hour and a half these days!  Personally, I think it would be bad of them to even ask you.  A similar situation happened to be last month and I was told by my boss that under no circumstance was I flying across the country to work a trade show (16 hour days by the time all is said and done, 4 days running).  Stay home, they can always conference call you if they need your input immediately.  In fact, suggest that!  "I don't feel physically up to coming, but mentally I am more than happy to attend through conference call/video."  It's a nice compromise!

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• I would personally go.  Usually people are put in leadership positions at work becasue they go "above and beyond" when the circumstances call for it and this is probably one of these circumstances.  You never know who could perceive it negatively if you decline and I personally wouldn't want it to jeopardize my future with my company.  I think if they asked you to stay a certain period of time away, that would be one thing, but if it is just for a day or a few days, you should do it (especially as you won't be that close to your due date).   
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • it sounds like in your heart of hearts you would like to use the pregnancy card.

USE it!

You know in your heart that you give it your all on any other occasion. no regrets!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • JtikiJtiki member

If your OB gives you the okay I would make the trip and ask for a few days afterwards to recuperate.  I'm not sure what your career field is, but not making the trip can be a killer in some industries.  Out of my 400 person company there is only 1 female executive (me) and 3 high female managers.  

I was in a similar situation just last week.   I made a 6 car drive one way to avoid getting on a plane (I'm 36 weeks).  I'm still exhausted, even though I got 3 days of vacation time afterwards.  Unknown to me, one of the clients I was meeting with was also pregnant and she flew cross country for this meeting.  If I had missed a meeting that a pregnant client managed to attend, it would not of been a good day.

I have used the pregnancy card to get out of other things which I felt were unsafe, such as climbing in/out of some heavy equipment to conduct inspections.  I also don't do 6:00 am meetings any more.  But I still try to do everything that is merely uncomfortable.           

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"