Baby Names

May have found a negative to my favorite name.

Beatrice.

My last name starts with a P and ends with "er" and has two syllables.

Now I am wondering if that sounds too much little Beatrix Potter. Ugh.

Started TTC 2/2009
Started fertility treatments 11/2010
Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
6 failed medicated IUI's
Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
Decided to adopt - 6/2012
SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
Here we go again...
Due 8/26/19!

Re: May have found a negative to my favorite name.

• It does sound very similar, sorry!
    BFP 03/30/12 | EDD 12/07/12 | DS1 12/01/12
    BFP 06/25/17 | EDD 02/24/18 | DS2 02/19/18
    BFP 12/20/18 | EDD 08/26/19 

• Yeah, they're pretty close. But if your last name doesn't have a short o sound like Potter, it might work. I think vowels matter more with rhyming. Would you call her Beatrice or a nn?

I have something similar. One of my favorite girl names ends with -ley, just like my name, Ashley, and dog's name, Oakley. I think that's too much. Sigh...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah I think it sounds a little too close. But if you love it that much, I wouldn't say it's a total dealbreaker.

• Yes, it does sound similar but I would still use it. I cannot think of one negative association. Beatrix Potter books are lovely in just about every way?beautifully written, beautiful illustrations, and they are not dumbed-down like a lot of children's literature nowadays.

Also, how long did it take you to make the connection? Chances are it will take most everyone else even longer or, most likely, not at all.

Mary Jane {12} Kaden {10} Eliza {4} Due Sept. '14

CafeMom Tickers

Considering . . . Agatha, Beatrix, Clara, Daphne, Isadora, Josephine, Matilda, Philippa, Tabitha, Winifred . . .
  • I don't know what the association is...I say use the name if you love it.
  • I think you should choose what you like and not worry too much. Our girl name is Charlotte Ruth, which sounds just like the crappy clothing store Charlotte Russe, and our boy name is Parker Reed, which remind me of Walter Reed military hospital. My thought is that the name will become a part of them and will start to only conjure thoughts of them to other people. Sure, initially it might cross peoples' minds, but I think it fades shortly after.
  • I am biased (see few posts down). If I were you I would still go for it, I'm sure since you are thinking about it that's what comes to mind. A family member or friend I doubt would think as hard as you are about it. HTH :)
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • who cares? seriously. if it's really your favorite name, i really don't think it's a big deal. it's not like the name is close to paris hilton or something like that.
  • My last name is extremely close to Potter. But it did take me quite awhile to make the connection. I'm not sure if I had ever said the full name together before though.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • I don't even know who Beatrix Potter is. That being said, Beatrice is a beautiful name. I'd use it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I get asked often (by teens I taught) if I named DD Shea because my name is Carly.  Apparently, the Carly in iCarly's name is Carly Shea.  I have never seen the show in my life!  I hope when DD gets older nobody makes that connection for her.
  • I love Beatrix Potter, so that would not turn me away. And it seems like not everyone knows who she is, anyway. (Which is a shame, because DS shares a name with one of her characters!) 
  • I don't think it's a negative at all.  She was an admirable person.  I say do it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I really don't see it as a problem. Use it, very pretty name!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"