Cloth Diapering

Cloth diapers overnight = stink :(

OMG it is vile.  We've tried CDs for 3 nights now.  No leaks! (yay!)

We used disposables at night because when he was younger we were having leaks (he was eating a ton overnight and it was just too  much for even a double stuffed diaper to handle).  Changing him at night was a pain because it woke him up so much and we weren't able to get him to sleep. 

Anyway, that was a more information that you probably cared to read.  Back to the diaper funk.  I wouldn't say it is ammonia smell.  It just smells...terrible...

any thoughts about how to remedy this?   I'd love to be able to use cloth at night and ditch disposables completely.

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Cloth diapers overnight = stink :(

• My overnight diapers do the same thing,  I don't think there is much you can do about it.  Just the nature of the beast of urine soaking in fabric for 8+ hours with no air.
    If the house ain't burned down and the baby's fed it was a successful day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yup mine don't smell so hot after 12 hours of being on, soaked in pee. Not sure what to do about it. The only one that doesn't stink for me is the Twinkie Tush because it doesn't seem to get as saturated as the others.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I do a really good thorough rinsing under the faucet in the bathtub when he wakes up, that has helped us avoid any ammonia build up issues, but the fact that they smell like pee in the morning is the nature of the beast I guess.  We use a microfiber insert + hemp insert and I think the wet hemp really contributes to the stink.  My DS has pooped right before falling asleep a few times, and I was unaware, talk about stink in the morning...omg!  It literally almost made me barf!
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I didn't really think a Huggies smelled like roses in the morning.

It's only a problem when he's sleeping with me. Pheee-ew.

It is getting better only as he drinks and pees less overnight.

• imagetokenhoser:

I didn't really think a Huggies smelled like roses in the morning.

It's only a problem when he's sleeping with me. Pheee-ew.

It is getting better only as he drinks and pees less overnight.

Yeah, his Up and Up sposies didn't smell good.  But, they didn't smell as terrible as this!   Blech!

• Have you tried rinsing them afterwards so you're getting most of the urine out before you wash? Hopefully that will prevent any ammonia build up in the diapers.

Our ON diapers usually smell a little bit in the morning, but not burn your nose smell. Are you using natural fibres or MF at night?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

• DD sleeps 10+ hrs at night.  She wakes with her diaper completely soaked.  Only smell i get is pee, and when i put her in a PUL cover, the smell is usually contained until i open it up.  Do you think perhaps it's your wash routine?  I used to have stink when i realized i wasn't using enough water (FL washer) and found out i needed to do a prewash with no spin at first instead of a rinse and spin. 

• imagehispenguin:

Have you tried rinsing them afterwards so you're getting most of the urine out before you wash? Hopefully that will prevent any ammonia build up in the diapers.

Our ON diapers usually smell a little bit in the morning, but not burn your nose smell. Are you using natural fibres or MF at night?

combo of hemp and mf.  It doesn't smell like ammonia.  It just smells really bad.  I can't describe the smell.  Maybe I'll strip diapers this weekend and see how it is after that. 

• imagekatie4253:
    imagehispenguin:

Have you tried rinsing them afterwards so you're getting most of the urine out before you wash? Hopefully that will prevent any ammonia build up in the diapers.

combo of hemp and mf.  It doesn't smell like ammonia.  It just smells really bad.  I can't describe the smell.  Maybe I'll strip diapers this weekend and see how it is after that. 

I think if you're getting more stink then they're due for a strip.

I just stripped mine with RLR this past week (we have hard water) and OMG the residue that came off the diapers was rediculous! They look so bright and clean and no smell now though!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"