Babies: 0 - 3 Months

weird gift question: am I ungrateful?

Some friends went in on a Diaper Service for a few weeks for me. It's pretty expensive. The only problem? I have ZERO interest in a diaper service!! :(
Worse than that, I think they're a huge waste of money: because I am just fine washing my own diapers (everyone has the chores they hate, but I've done diapers just fine for 2 years now and don't even think about it).

I know they paid about $160 for the service.  What I would really like is a snap'n'go stroller with a toddler sit board.  We're financially tight right now so I cannot justify going out and buying one.

Is it totally horrible to ask the co-ordinator of the gift if I can trade the diaper certificate it for an amazon gift certificate so I can get a stroller instead?? 

(ps - hint to all: if you get a big group gift for someone, make sure it's something they want first!!!) 

[Poll]
Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: weird gift question: am I ungrateful?

• I guess the question is this: can they get out of the diaper service since its already paid for? Id maybe look into that, bc if they can't get out of it then there's no sense in asking at all.

But I totally hear you - at least if they'd given you something you didnt want (an object as opposed to a service) you could sell it and then use the $$ to get what you do want or need. Is it a gift certificate you could sell maybe?

I dunno if this helped at all...

BabyFruit Ticker

• Does the diaper service sell anything you need (such as new pre-folds, covers, etc.?)  Perhaps you could use that $165 credit to purchase goods from them instead of the actual diapering service.
    The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • Loading the player...
  • It depends.  Do you not want it because you don't plan to cloth diaper?  If that's the case, definately ask if you can refund it for something else.  If you are cloth diapering, I say you should use it.  Laundry for newborn diapers is a lot.  Even if you don't plan to cloth diaper later, it may be worth it to use the service anyway if you are up for learning how to use them.  Disposable diapers can get expensive, so you may want to consider using the gift to save money.  Then you can use the money you saved to buy the stroller. Wink

Either way you choose, it's probably a good idea to talk to your friends about it first.  They would be hurt if they found out you refunded the diapering service without telling them, or they may be knowlegeable about cloth diapers and can help you learn how to use them.

July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • How could you possibly trade the gift certificate even if you did ask?  I'm pretty sure gift certificates are non refundable.  You could try trading it on a mom's website or some gift card trading website but I woudln't tell your friends.  
  • I voted maybe and here is why... I would call the diaper service first and see if they can return it.  If they can't I would not say anything as to not hurt their feelings.

If they can return it, then yes, i would say something, it does not hurt to ask.

• I understand your frustration because we did a registry with our twins being our first children.  We received many gifts, hardly any of which were on our registry.  Many things were things that were not useful for us, or not items we planned to use.  At first it was irritating, but I had to remind myself that those people don't owe me anything.  Items they gave were gifts.  Gifts:  bonus items chosen with good intention to attempt to make us happy.  I believe that's what your co-workers were going for, so I would say returning it, or trading it out, as other posters have mentioned needs to be on your own time.  If you can't trade it, is it better than nothing?  

Not trying to be rude.  Just my two cents.  For me it wouldn't be worth upsetting a group of friends or co-workers over that when they meant well. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • FinkFink member
    imageNewlyWeds13:

I voted maybe and here is why... I would call the diaper service first and see if they can return it.  If they can't I would not say anything as to not hurt their feelings.

If they can return it, then yes, i would say something, it does not hurt to ask.

I agree with the bold above.  If it can be returned, if the people who gave it to you are really close friends and if I thought they would understand, then I might  say something to the person who I thought was the "leader".  IMO, it really depends on your friends' personalities. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"