Baby Names

Help!!!!!

We're disagreeing on a few names and need your opinions. Feel free to provide some new ones too and maybe some middle names. Thanks 

Girl:

Khoal

Devlyn

Bostyn 

Journey

Boy:

Boston

Sebastian

Verik

Theoren  

Re: Help!!!!!

• Sebastian is the only name I like. I have no idea what Khoal is. Is it supposed to be Cole?
  • Yes it's pronounced like Cole, it honors my husbands best friend who has passed.  

• Loading the player...
  • For a Girl, to honor your husband's passed away friend have you considered Colette? If you really wanted to use Coal then it may be better on a girl as a nn. Did you think to use Coal as a boy's fn?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I only like Sebastian out of all the names listed for boys or girls.  The "girl" names don't seem to be real names in my opinion. I'm not sure if the boy names are real names or if I'm just not familiar with them.  (Maybe they are from a culture I am not familiar with,)

Sebastian is a good name. 

• I feel like this has to be a joke.  Please, please let it be a joke.  Sebastian is the only good name.
    Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • Sebastian is the only decent name (I actually like it)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • imageblush64:

I only like Sebastian out of all the names listed for boys or girls.  The "girl" names don't seem to be real names in my opinion. I'm not sure if the boy names are real names or if I'm just not familiar with them.  (Maybe they are from a culture I am not familiar with,)

Sebastian is a good name. 

This. The girl names all seem to be spelled wrong. Love Sebastian. 

Baby #2
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • You must be classic Rock fans. I see Journey and Boston. How....cute.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • I like Devlin and Verik.  Middle names? ummm....  Verik Michael  and Devlin Rachelle.

I don't see anything wrong with your name lists!!  I actually like pretty much all of the names your considering..

Edit:  We were considering Sedrik for a while. Idk if this interests you at all.  Verik seems similar, thats probably why its my fav. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The only name I can say anything nice about it Sebastian.

• imagejburdet1:
    For a Girl, to honor your husband's passed away friend have you considered Colette? If you really wanted to use Coal then it may be better on a girl as a nn. Did you think to use Coal as a boy's fn?

This is a good idea and a beautiful name.

• Well this is refreshing. Thank you :) Devlyn and Verik were mine and my husband's mentors in and after college and they mean very much to us. Plus we love the names and how different they are. 
  • imageclpurtell:

We're disagreeing on a few names and need your opinions. Feel free to provide some new ones too and maybe some middle names. Thanks 

Girl:

Khoal

Devlyn

Bostyn 

Journey

Boy:

Boston

Sebastian

Verik

Theoren  

I like Colette (hate all of your other girls names... all sounds trashy) and Sebastian. Boston is meh but at least it isn't made up sounding

Me- 28 DH- 36 Diagnosis- MFI IVF baby #1- DD, 2 years old MC at 6 weeks in Feb 2011 (FET) IVF #2- BFP! IVF baby #2- DD, 4 months old
  • Sebastian is fantastic.

For the rest, please see Mirror+Mirror's gif.

• Thats great that they mean that much to you guys!  I like the uniqueness too and they sound like very strong names.  I wasn't sure about middle names so I just threw something out there. haha

• Haha I like your ideas for middle names. Michael is my brothers name though and it wouldn't be fair to just honor one of my brothers considering I have a few. My husbands family all have 2 middle names and sometimes I think I like it  but sometimes I don't lol
  • April Fools, right?
  • I know a little girl named Journey. I wasn't a fan at first, but actually think it is pretty cute now. I like someone else's suggestion for Colette to honor your husband's friend. A very pretty name & still not very common. I don't prefer the Kh substitution for C.

I like Boston & Sebastian from your boy's list.

Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Devlyn Faith and Verik Ryder
  • Girl:

Khoal - Not so much

Devlyn - Ok.

Bostyn - Nooo!

Journey - Nope.

Boy:

Boston - No

Sebastian - Love

Verik - nms

Theoren  - ok, but unsure how to pronounce...

BFP 03/30/12 | EDD 12/07/12 | DS1 12/01/12
    BFP 06/25/17 | EDD 02/24/18 | DS2 02/19/18
    BFP 12/20/18 | EDD 08/26/19 

• imagejburdet1:
    For a Girl, to honor your husband's passed away friend have you considered Colette?

So much better!!

BFP 03/30/12 | EDD 12/07/12 | DS1 12/01/12
    BFP 06/25/17 | EDD 02/24/18 | DS2 02/19/18
    BFP 12/20/18 | EDD 08/26/19 

• Theoren is pronounced like Tharin
  • First off, Sebastian is GREAT. 

The girls' list is pretty awful. Is the random 'y' in Boston supposed to make it look more feminine? Because it doesn't. It looks like you don't know how to spell Boston. Devlyn looks/sounds too much like Devil. She'll almost certainly be nn'd Devil at some point in her life, although for all I know you might actually want that :/. Khoal is one of the worst names I've ever seen. Coal. Spelled wrong. If you want to honour someone named Cole, please take PP's suggestion of Colette, or Nicole. Both are MILES better than spelling Coal with a Kh-. Journey is at least spelled correctly, so props for that, but I still don't like it as a name. 

I have heard of Theoren before but I don't like it. Nor do I like Verik. I don't like Boston as a name but again, at least you have spelled it correctly here. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • I really like your lists for both the girls and boys names. I really dislike traditional names so my husband I too have gone the unique route for baby names. I love that you are using names that mean something to you. And don't worry about going a little off the beaten path my name is very unusual and as a kid I always wanted to be a Ashley or Jessica but now that I'm an adult I love my name. Enjoy the process. BTW get rid of Sebastian way too common =) 
  • Thanks :) I thought Sebastian was a bit common too and we have a ton of names that we've selected that were far from usual. We get very mixed reactions about them. Seems like everyone on here hates most of them but the actual people we meet tend to love them. So it'll be a last minute decision I'm afraid lol
  • imageclpurtell:
    Thanks :) I thought Sebastian was a bit common too and we have a ton of names that we've selected that were far from usual. We get very mixed reactions about them. Seems like everyone on here hates most of them but the actual people we meet tend to love them. So it'll be a last minute decision I'm afraid lol

I'm positive people that you tell these names to in real life are just humoring you. Trust me. They are being polite. This list is horrid. Sebastian is the only good name. Start over.

I do like Colette a lot.

• imageclpurtell:
    Seems like everyone on here hates most of them but the actual people we meet tend to love them.

Yeah, because they can't be honest to your face, that's why.  What are they supposed to say?

I'll say it: your list is horrific. I'd honestly feel a bit sorry for any little girl given any of your names.

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You might want to read Freakonomics.

Sebastian aside, I would assume you to me not well educated.

• Girl:

Khoal - really?  Really?  It is made up.  Try Colette.  Much better.  This reminds me of Skoal, Koala or Kohl's. 

Devlyn- substituting a "y" for an "i" does not make a name feminine. 

Bostyn - see above.  This makes you look uneducated and trashy.

Journey- NMS at all, but if I had to pick one off this list that I hated the least it would be this. (unless you swap out Colette for Khoal)

Boy:

Boston- this is a city, not a name.

Sebastian- the only one on both lists that I like.

Verik- Eric with a lisp?  Do you know how many times your child will have to explain and spell this name over the course of his lifetime?

Theoren  - sounds like a mathematical term.

I urge you to think of how your child's name will affect him or her for the rest of his life.  Just because something sounds cute to you now doesn't mean it is something you should name your child.  Your child may face teasing over his or her name, and when older, have to explain and spell his or her name over and over again.  Please don't do that to your child.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just thinking about my son's name not only being used on a girl, but spelled so atrociously, makes me want to cry. What about Colette? Nicole? Nicolette?

I'm sorry, but the only name on either list I even remotely like is Sebastian.  

Cole Joseph 7/05/07

Nora Anne 11/03/12
    9lbs, 6oz
  • imageEXL311:
    I feel like this has to be a joke.  Please, please let it be a joke.  Sebastian is the only good name.

This.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Eleanor Noelle - 18/05/12 Claire Elisabeth - 16/-5/10
  • I'm sorry but your misspellings are terrible.  All of your girl names are AWFUL.

The only boy name I like is Sebastian - which I think is a great name, please use that instead of the others.

Here are some girl names (that are actual names) that you might like:

Neveah.... I kid, I kid, but seriously, this is the first name a website suggested for you based on your preferences...

No, really:

Lavender, Demetria, Everly, Sabrina, Jade, Imogen, Shelby, Esme, Jolie, Trinity

Boys:

Maximus, Bryce (....but I hate it), Gabriel, Quinten, Levi, Jackson, Carson, Cole, Everrett, Diego, Corbin, Alexander, Dexter

Go with some of these.. your current list makes you look uneducated and will diminish your child's chances in the future.

• Theoren - I would assume you are or were a fan of a real crappy hockey team in my neck of the woods. I wouldn't use it, if that's your association to the name.
  • i also like names that are off the beaten path, but i know coming on here where 90% of people pick the road most traveled and asking opinions is always dangerous and going to get identical results. your names aren't "trashy" nor do they diminish your child's chances of anything. i always love those responses. they are very different though, minus sebastian. that's oddly my least favorite on your list. i think collette who goes by cole is pretty. if you go with bostyn, i think you should put the o back in. it's good enough different on its own without any surgery. i do find it stronger for a boy though. it's tricky though if people shorten it, boss? as for devlyn, i have always thought of it as a girls name but the lyn trend drives me insane so i'd put the i back in.
  • Haha no I don't even watch hockey. Theoren is my husbands grandfathers middle name
  • Thanks, I definitely agree with you but a lot of people hate Devlyn I guess. I like it better spelled Devlan and my husband thinks it looks too much like Declan (his brother's dead dog) lol 

I think Boston is better for a boy and I wouldn't mind Boston Cole but my husband's friend was messing around a few days before he died and said "better name your daughter after me" no one expected him to pass away but now my husband really wants to name her either Khoal or Collins and call her Cole  

• I do too. I couldn't use Colette anyway, my sisters married name is Colette
  • imageclpurtell:

I think Boston is better for a boy and I wouldn't mind Boston Cole but my husband's friend was messing around a few days before he died and said "better name your daughter after me" no one expected him to pass away but now my husband really wants to name her either Khoal or Collins and call her Cole  

The bolded part is key. He was joking--he didn't expect you to name your daughter Cole.

That said, I think it would be a great middle name for your daughter if you'd still like to honor him. Or a first name for your son.

Like most of the previous posters, Sebastian is far and away my favorite name on your list.

I could MAYBE get behind Theoren if it's a legit family name, like you said. Cole Theoren sounds nice. 

What about Theory for a girl? While it's nms, word names do tend to grow on me, and I like it better than Bostyn (shudder) or Journey. 

• imagemlf625:

imageclpurtell:
    Seems like everyone on here hates most of them but the actual people we meet tend to love them.

Yeah, because they can't be honest to your face, that's why.  What are they supposed to say?

I'll say it: your list is horrific. I'd honestly feel a bit sorry for any little girl given any of your names.

Yep. This.  Your list is not good.  I would not hire someone named Boston or any of your ridiculous girl names. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"