Cloth Diapering
Options

do Flips not work well for newborns?

We have decided to cloth-diaper baby #2 once he is born! We have several different types of diaper to try, including some Flip covers and stay-dry inserts. People seem to like these diapers, but not so much for newborns because the insert doesn't provide enough coverage, especially for an EBF baby. We have some Imagine prefolds as well too, that we can use with these covers. Should I not even bother with the inserts until he's at least a few months old, and just use my prefolds with the Flip covers? I have heard mixed things, so I wondered if anyone has had any experience with Flips and newborns.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: do Flips not work well for newborns?

• Options

I had a really small baby, but I started using Flips as soon as she fit them (when she was about 9-10lb). I EBF and have never had an issue with the inserts. I had one leak the first week that was likely fit-related, and never again. I mostly use the stay-dry inserts, but I have the organic cotton ones as well. 

ETA: I think I misunderstood your question. Leaks aren't really an issue, but yes, most EBF poos will get on the cover. A prefold may give you more protection, but I can't say because I don't have any prefolds. 

• Options
    I used Flips with DS as a newborn (he was about 2 weeks old the first time I used one) and they were fine.  I had no leak issue and didn't feel the diaper was too bulky.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Jack Emmett born on 2/2/10 after 17 cycles and a miscarriage
    Calvin Wyatt born on 1/10/12. Our surprise baby!

EP Facebook Group ~*~ My Baby/Life Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The flip covers with a flip insert did not fit DS well until he was about 12 lbs. After that I didn't have any problems with leaks, but if you're using the inserts you can definitely expect EBF poo to get on your covers a few times a day so you'd need a few extra covers.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Yes, what I meant is will it leak onto the covers? I was looking at the way the diaper fit in the insert, and thinking that there was no way that the poo would stay on the insert itself! I only have 4 covers, so I suppose I should buy a few more? Maybe 6-8 total?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ebd08ebd08 member
    Oh yes, it will leak onto the cover.  We have 7 covers and that's enough to get us through 2-3 days.  The stay-dry inserts seemed a little too bulky until DS was about 12 lbs., but you could use a Snappi and prefold under the cover until your LO gets a little bigger.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"