Stay at Home Moms

I have news...

I had to come here to whine. There's awesome support on here.

Monday I was diagnosed as Type II Diabetic.  I'm having an Super Sweet 16 sized pity party this week and then letting it all go.  My husband is awesome. He changed his diet to match mine just to be supportive. Awesome guy.

Guys I live in NOLA. How on earth do I live turning all this wonderful food down :(  No crawfish bread at Jazz Fest, no king cake, no pralines, no hurricane's, no meat pies, alligator cheese cake...etc. Ugh.

I hate getting old.

Kevin & Traci May 11, 2006 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Photobucket

Re: I have news...

• I know it isn't the same as Type 2, but I had GD while pregnant, and the restrictions definitely suck, I'm sorry you are dealing with it.  I met with a nutrionist, and she told me that it's all about portion control and what not, bc I was still allowed to occassionally have some of the treats that I loved so much.  Good luck, I hope everything works out for you and your numbers stay good!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Think of your LO.  : )

BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry about your diagnosis. That really sucks! My advice would be to focus on the positive--all of the good things that you will still be able to eat that make you feel healthy. Fresh produce and lean proteins are especially appetizing in the upcoming warmer months. If you've been dealing with the symptoms for a while, eating a diabetic diet may help you have more energy and feel better, too.

Also, my dad was told that he was pre-diabetic last year and went on a strict low carb diet, exercises daily and lost 30 pounds. Now his numbers are normal, he has even been able to reduce his cholesterol meds. I know that he feels better than he has in years :)

DD1: Maya 05/10
    DD2: Lucia (Lucy) 07/13
  • First of all, I'm sorry to hear your news.

I don't post on here much anymore, but my DH was diagnosed a few years ago as Type II. While it certainly is a whole new way of thinking, now that we've been at this a few years, it's really not as bad as it first seemed. I realize that I'm not the diabetic one, but I am the one who does all the cooking and meal-planning.

And please remember, you can still eat the things you want, just not in huge portions. My DH's doctor gave him all sorts of information (and also sent him to a class at the hospital) on what constitutes a "portion" and what information to look for when buying bread, for example.  We've also gotten really accustomed to reading labels. In the beginning, he served himself using a measuring cup just so he'd get a sense of what a 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes really looked like.

I've also started making two side dishes if I've made a carb-heavy, so my DH will have a smaller portion of, say, spaghetti and have larger portions of salad and another veggie.

https://tracker.diabetes.org/  We've found this site to be helpful because it allows you to input your own recipe and figure out the carbs and other counts. Actually, the entire diabetes.org website is very helpful.

Look online because there is SO much helpful information available. Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sorry to hear it.  That's great that your DH is being so supportive though.
  • I'm so sorry.. T&P's.
    Ella 8.6.11
    Carson 3.28.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"