Cloth Diapering
Options

Rash Help Please

I feel like I have so many people just waiting to hear that CDing failed for us. I'm now starting to worry myself. My DD has had an on-again, off-again rash for a month or so now. The doctor thought it might be because she is pooping more often, and we went with that idea for a while. It has now been 2 days w/o a poop, and the rash just came back. Is it the diapers themselves? The detergent? The rash looks like tiny red bumps and covers her diaper area. It doesn't seem to bother her at all, but looks bad. I can usually get it to go away with CB Diaper Cream

I am now using Ecos detergent and have a variety of pockets and AIOs only. I really appreciate any ideas you ladies have.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Rash Help Please

• Options

I'm just throwing out ideas here...

Could it be a reaction to the fabric in the diaper?  My cousin's daughter is allergic to the suedecloth in BGs.

Something she ate maybe that would cause the rash?

Have you tried using fitteds without a cover to "air out" her bum?

I'll see if I can think of anything else...I always hate "mystery" rashes!

DS1 November 2009
    DS2 August 2012
  • Options

Hmmm...  well, I'd try a natural fabric against her skin without a cover (a fitted, for example) for a bit to see if her skin just doesn't like the synthetic stuff against it right now...  

You could also try stripping the diapers and rinsing a gazillion times followed by using a different detergent to see if that helps.  

Red bumps makes me think yeast though...  any other signs of thrush?

We use coconut oil for the occasional redness because it's anti-microbial and anti-fungal.  Just a thought. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We would have to order fitteds online and wait for them to come in to try them as we don't have any and don't have s local CD store. There aren't any other signs of thrush and the rash does go away...it just comes back! I did just bleach and rinse a million times with a batch of diapers, so I'm hoping to try them out tomorrow and see what happens. I don't know what else to do!
  • Options

Are your diapers all lined with the same material?  BG's irritate DD's bottom if she's in them for a long time (when my parents watch her they use BG's exclusively and she's usually red when I pick her up after wearing them all day).  

Is she eating solids?  Could it be a food she's eating?  If you're nursing, it could be something YOU'RE eating.  When I ate citrus, Emma's system would get all messed up until she was about 6 months old.  

I'd also try changing her more frequently.  

• Options
    Tiny red bumps is usually the tell tale sign of a yeast rash.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

I would treat it like it was a yeast rash. Symptoms sound very similar to my daughter's yeast rash, which we would treat with some diaper ointments, and they would go away, then come back. A few tips:

1. Use a fleece liner to keep her skin as dry as possible while treating for yeast. Even though it's been months, we still try to put fleece in her nighttime diaper since she could be laying in a wet diaper all night. 

2. 2 parts olive oil to 1 part tea tree oil, shake it up, then apply liberally. Best rash treatment I've ever used and the only one that got rid of the yeast.

3. Make sure to disinfect your diapers. HOT HOT wash, add tea tree oil, and bac-out if you can. I soaked my diapers in hot water with funk rock, added borax into the wash cycle, and also added in tea tree oil to the wash.  Then rinse, rinse, rinse. I've added an extra rinse to my diaper washing routine. 

Haven't had a problem with yeast since we took these steps. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image image image
  • Options
    imagekristinamarie27:

I would treat it like it was a yeast rash. Symptoms sound very similar to my daughter's yeast rash, which we would treat with some diaper ointments, and they would go away, then come back. A few tips:

1. Use a fleece liner to keep her skin as dry as possible while treating for yeast. Even though it's been months, we still try to put fleece in her nighttime diaper since she could be laying in a wet diaper all night. 

2. 2 parts olive oil to 1 part tea tree oil, shake it up, then apply liberally. Best rash treatment I've ever used and the only one that got rid of the yeast.

3. Make sure to disinfect your diapers. HOT HOT wash, add tea tree oil, and bac-out if you can. I soaked my diapers in hot water with funk rock, added borax into the wash cycle, and also added in tea tree oil to the wash.  Then rinse, rinse, rinse. I've added an extra rinse to my diaper washing routine. 

Ugh! This sounds so complicated. I think I might bring her to the pedi tomorrow to have them look at it. For the fleece liner, can I just cut up fleece from a craft store? How do I prep it and wash it? Do you add the tea tree oil and borax with every wash you do, or just until you kill it from the diapers? Also, will bleach kill yeast? Thanks so much for the tips! 

• Options
    Bleach will kill the yeast, but you need tea tree oil or grapefruit seed extract to kill the spores.  I know other things will kill the spores but i am unsure as to what.
    If the house ain't burned down and the baby's fed it was a successful day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageLiveLaughLove17:
    imagekristinamarie27:

Ugh! This sounds so complicated. I think I might bring her to the pedi tomorrow to have them look at it. For the fleece liner, can I just cut up fleece from a craft store? How do I prep it and wash it? Do you add the tea tree oil and borax with every wash you do, or just until you kill it from the diapers? Also, will bleach kill yeast? Thanks so much for the tips! 

You can either order fleece liners or make your own from fleece at the fabric store. I ordered mine, but to prep them, all I did was put them through the wash once and dry them. 

Since I use the tea tree oil/olive oil as my regular diaper ointment, I don't add tea tree oil in to my wash anymore...there is enough tea tree oil in the diaper from me putting it on the baby! I add borax to the wash when I remember...probably every 3-4 washes. I still add it because I think it helps with the ammonia stink and we always have borax around the house. I believe bleach will kill yeast, but since we have septic, we don't keep bleach in the house and I'm scared of using it on my cloth diapers! LOL

It really isn't as complicated as it sounds. The initial "get rid of the yeast" washing, rinsing, soaking, rinsing, and washing was a PITA, but after that, it has been a matter of switching to the olive oil/tea tree oil diaper ointment and adding a scoop of borax to the detergent when I remember.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image image image
  • Options

Thank you all again. I really do appreciate it. I took her to the pedi this morning and he said it was NOT yeast-just a bad diaper rash / dry skin. He said it could have stemmed from her teething... Anyway, I did go out and buy tea tree oil and grapefruit seed extract just in case. I think I'll use it a few times in my wash routine. One ther question if anyone is still following- do iAds tt oil and the grapefruit seed extract directly to the water or put it in he fabric softener slot? Thanks again! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"